Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 9:30:19 AM EDT
I went to the courthouse and picked up the package for a concealed carry permit.  Do I understand it correctly that I dont have to take the training course since I am honorably discharged from the military and an Oklahoma resident?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you went to the pistol qual range and qualified, your good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
But if you have no documentation reflecting that qualification,  you might not be.

The shooting is the best part of the class, why skip it?

And it gives you an opportunity to observe your fellow applicants firearms skills.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as shooting ability, you don't even have to hit the target at 3, 5, or 7 yards.
You just have to load 50 rounds and shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
"And it gives you an opportunity to observe your fellow applicants firearms skills"
Sam, you dont know how much that right there scares me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"And it gives you an opportunity to observe your fellow applicants firearms skills"

Without a doubt
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I took the book learnin' part of the course, I noticed everybody in the class had a really nice pistol and I thought that meant there were going to be some pretty experienced shooters when we got to the range.

Wrong. Some of them had obviously never even put a mag in their gun before, no idea how to load a cartridge into the mag, no idea where their safety was or how it worked. Those 4 rules of gun safety the instructors had just drilled into us in the classroom? All forgotten at the range. Fingers on triggers, muzzles covering the other shooters. I had hoped to be in the first group shooting but after seeing the first group at the line I didn't even want to be in the same county. I did a quick count and realized there was one more shooter than would make full sessions and volunteered to go last, by myself, and then put some distance between me and the firing line.

But I'm sure your class won't be like that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I called OSBI and they said get an exemption form from one of the instructors on their list.  I called a nearby instructor and he said bring him a copy of my DD214 and he would sign an exemption form for me.  I figure between my DD214, training certificate for the CG's maritime law enforcement academy and pistol quals from Army boot camp and CG boot camp, I should be covered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But if you have no documentation reflecting that qualification,  you might not be.

The shooting is the best part of the class, why skip it?

And it gives you an opportunity to observe your fellow applicants firearms skills

hell man, if you even semi know how to shoot a pistol you can pass the shooting part of the class, hell you could shoot it with your eyes closed, as for the "skill" of your fellow shooters, well that's subject to debate, the class I went through had several kicked off the course because they couldn't follow simple directions and a few others that should even be allowed to carry rocks to throw, shit maybe they should only carry rocks then they might have a chance of hitting the target.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the state quick draw champion in one of the classes I taught back in 1995. I'd known him for years and know he is one hell of a shot with a single action.
He brought a 1911 and was lucky to hit the target.
I asked him with a straight face if he'd consider carrying a shotgun.
He stuttered around a bit, then I broke out laughing.
He only shot the 1911 to get the multiple classification on his license.
He's probably carrying a single action Colt and woe to anyone he has to use it on.
But the 1911 would only be good for him if he threw it at someone.
That's just some of the stuff you come across if you are going to teach the SDA classes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had the state quick draw champion in one of the classes I taught back in 1995. I'd known him for years and know he is one hell of a shot with a single action.
He brought a 1911 and was lucky to hit the target.
I asked him with a straight face if he'd consider carrying a shotgun.
He stuttered around a bit, then I broke out laughing.
He only shot the 1911 to get the multiple classification on his license.
He's probably carrying a single action Colt and woe to anyone he has to use it on.
But the 1911 would only be good for him if he threw it at someone.
That's just some of the stuff you come across if you are going to teach the SDA classes.

A lot of this is why although I'm certified to teach it, I choose not to. As a matter of fact, running two classes was all it took to teach me that I didn't want to run anymore
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top