Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 4/17/2016 7:45:01 PM EST
So I just bought a Noveske lower and I'm planning on building a really nice rifle for myself. I should be able to pick it up when it comes in some time next week.

Anyway, my question is, am I allowed to buy my parts here and bring them to Florida with me over time to build the rifle down there? I plan on building a non-SAFE compliant AR and leaving it at a family member's house in Florida. Can I legally bring the lower with me when I go down there next month, then as I order subsequent parts can I just have them shipped down there? Is that illegal?

I'm planning on moving down there some time in the next year anyway, but if plans change and I end up stuck up here in this hell hole I don't want to be breaking a law. Regardless I go down there every few months. I've already been there 3 times this year.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:02:38 PM EST
Youre just buying parts in NY
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:32:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2016 8:33:20 PM EST by ronjohnbb]
Well, actually I'm buying everything online. I'm ordered the lower online and I'm going to a local FFL to do the transfer. Everything else will likely be ordered online and shipped directly to my family member's home in Florida. Although that has me kind of worried, so I may just order the parts and then mail them to myself at my family member's address from my house.

At no point will there be enough parts at my house here to construct the rifle. I'm planning on building a $2,400 rifle before glass and weapon light, so it's going to take me a bit of time to get all the parts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:45:14 AM EST
The Receiver is the serial numbered part and considered "the gun".
Because receivers/frames/etc. are classified as "other" they may only be transferred in the State of residence; ie if you're a NY resident, then that's where you have to buy it. Now once you've purchased it, where you build it matters no, so long as it's in compliance with local laws. If you take that receiver down to FL it can be assembled in any configuration that does not violate Federal Law (that being the NFA of '34) If you return to NYS with that assembled Rifle, then it must comply with the un-SAFE Act. (featureless or non-detaching magazine)
the ONLY part that is regulated is the lower receiver; everything else is just "parts" that may be purchased by anyone anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:43:31 AM EST
Just a thought, if you buy the parts while in NY, you may end up with NYS sales tax depending on where you buy from. Why not just set aside the money and buy the parts later?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:23:22 AM EST
Thans for the responses guys. You've eased any concerns I was having.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By evangrems:
Just a thought, if you buy the parts while in NY, you may end up with NYS sales tax depending on where you buy from. Why not just set aside the money and buy the parts later?
View Quote

I'm ordering everything off the internet. I got the lower from Texas and it's coming into my FFL sometime this week. Everything else will be ordered from wherever I can find it the cheapest online. I wanted to get the lower before any panic buying starts with the election looming. I'm going to buy a stripped Noveske upper next and after that I'm going to just save and buy everything else all at once.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:37:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 7:37:55 PM EST by bill3rail]
Just a heads up, if you plan to fly out of this UnSafe state, declare it with the airline and have the local PD/TSA see it is properly packaged.
Must be inside a hard-sided locked case. The hard-sided case can be your checked bag or another case inside your checked bag.

Bill

As part of the check-in process, all firearms and firearms parts must be declared to the aircraft operator. Firearms may be permitted in checked baggage if unloaded and properly locked in a hard-sided container. Passengers may be summoned to assist Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) in the screening of firearms and firearm parts. Airlines may have additional restrictions on the transport of firearms.

The FAA requires ammunition to be properly packaged. The FAA and airlines may have additional restrictions on the amount of ammunition that may be placed in checked baggage.
View Quote

Top Top