Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 3:14:03 PM EDT
Guys, I have a question and I need some input from all ya'll long-time VA folks, especially the NoVA folks.  My apartment complex is going to be inspecting all apartments inside and out in August, and most of the time the inspections will be done when most people are at work (9am-5pm).  Now, I won't be home when they come do the inspection so I have a couple of questions/concerns I need some advise on.  First, has anyone had to go through this, and has there been any losses/theft from the inspectors?  Second, I have more than a few ammo cans (ya can't be a proper ARFCOMer unless your ammo can count is higher than guns ) and a safe in my closet too; how do the people around here take that?  Are they going to freak and call the DHS on me or are they generally cool about it?  Or do I need to start finding some place to store my gun "accouterments" during inspection time?  I just started a federal job, and having the DHS come investigate/question me would seriously put a damper on it.  

TIA
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had any issues, but our complex has never had an "inspection" so to speak.  They change the furnace filters twice a year, check the fire extinguisher, etc.  So far I haven't noticed anything missing or had any complaints.

My safe is in the closet and my reloading bench is right out in open view in the second bedroom.  Usually I make sure there is no ammo or mags sitting out if I know somebody is coming in.  Just try to be discrete and don't worry about it.  Let us know how it turns out.
Scott
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, you cannot be evicted from your apartment because of gun ownership in VA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC, you cannot be evicted from your apartment because of gun ownership in VA.

Its not so much that I'm afraid of getting evicted, its just that I don't need the hassle of someone calling the cops and them starting an investigation and all that, even though I've broken no laws.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been required to inspect 1,000's of apts over the years and it's basically a "walk-in & walk-out" type inspection.  The main reason for the owner/mgt co. to do an inspection to to ensure the occupant is maintaining the unit as required.  There's absolutely no reason for an inspector to do a more detailed type inspection (i.e., looking in closets, under beds, etc.).  While the lease gives the owner/mgt co the right to inspect, it does not give them the right to pry into the occupant's personal property and effects.  Just secure your stuff out of the way as best as you can and don't worry about it.  If there's nothing illegal going on, you don't have a thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I know how you feel.  Before we bought our townhouse we lived in a Skyline Tower apartment in Bailey's Crossroads (Falls Church, VA).  The management office conducted inspections about once a year.  As it was mentioned, these were usually walk-throughs, nothing major.  At that time I had a growing collection, a few rifles and handguns.  However I didn't own a safe.  I never had any problems, but I'd move my collection up onto the top shelves under some clothes.  Throw a couple of "day old" boxers up there and not many folks are going to mess with the clothes.  As far as I could tell, no one was aware of my collection in the apartment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top