Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2006 7:14:35 PM EDT
  Hello, I am thinking about moving to Boise, Idaho. Right now I am in Billings. What should I expect in Boise? How are the gun laws? How good is is the job market. I have also lived in Phoenix for comparison. Would it be wise to move from Montana to Idaho? What are some other options for good gun laws?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed fur spelling
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Done fucked all the sheep in Montana, huh?

Sorry.  My pills are making me silly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I would post this in the Idaho Hometown Forum were I you.

ETA:
People from TN making jokes about Montanans?  That right there is funny.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Curious, why the move from MT to ID?  Work related? Other?

Asking because northern ID was always first choice for me but after seeing the CDA area explode with growth in the past couple of years I waved off and I'm in the process of relocating to MT from CA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Asking because northern ID was always first choice for me but after seeing the CDA area explode with growth in the past couple of years I waved off and I'm in the process of relocating to MT from CA.

dunno, just considering it. Since, it is, warmer and maybe bigger. I never knew Billings was booming that much, I knew it was slowly growing..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If your a hunter, stay in MT. You definately have a better sportsman's lobby in MT. More hunting opportunity as well.

Gun laws, a wash, IMHO.

Jobs, Boise has jobs. Pay is similar to MT. The rest of the state is poor, well, except for the trust funders moving into CDA, Valley Co, Boise, Sun Valley. Kinda like western MT.

Earth worms are invading!

Think Idaho conservative, Montana liberal, when it comes to politics.

Less drugs here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If your a hunter, stay in MT. You definately have a better sportsman's lobby in MT. More hunting opportunity as well.

Gun laws, a wash, IMHO.

Jobs, Boise has jobs. Pay is similar to MT. The rest of the state is poor, well, except for the trust funders moving into CDA, Valley Co, Boise, Sun Valley. Kinda like western MT.

Less drugs here.

Montana's Liberal?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun laws in Boise are the same as the rest of Idaho.  It is easy to get a concealed weapon permit (two forms, fingerprints, and $52.50 for a four-year permit).

Here is what I know about Boise, since I have to travel there often for work:

The job market is fairly stable and strong.  A degreed, professional with about 10-15 years experience will be making about $80K annually.

Housing is getting relatively expensive (for Idaho standards).  Expect to pay $185,000-$210,000 for a 1,400 square foot house with no basement.

Gangs are becoming a serious problem in the burbs such as Nampa, but that's okay because the cops in Boise shoot to kill (read the newspapers).

Main employers are Boise Cascade, Micron Technology, Albertsons, Hewlett-Packard, Idaho Power, and Washington Group Intl.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The gun laws in Boise are the same as the rest of Idaho.  It is easy to get a concealed weapon permit (two forms, fingerprints, and $52.50 for a four-year permit).

Here is what I know about Boise, since I have to travel there often for work:

The job market is fairly stable and strong.  A degreed, professional with about 10-15 years experience will be making about $80K annually.

Housing is getting relatively expensive (for Idaho standards).  Expect to pay $185,000-$210,000 for a 1,400 square foot house with no basement.

Gangs are becoming a serious problem in the burbs such as Nampa, but that's okay because the cops in Boise shoot to kill (read the newspapers).

Main employers are Boise Cascade, Micron Technology, Albertsons, Hewlett-Packard, Idaho Power, and Washington Group Intl.

What about for aviation?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Air National Guard, SmokeJumpers Headquarters, and the Boise Airport.  There's a WWII fighter restoration place in Caldwell that is owned by former motocross great Bob "Hurricane" Hannah.  Mountain Home Air Force Base is southeast of Boise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gun laws, a wash, IMHO.

Less drugs here.

Montana's Liberal?

Compared to Idaho, yes.

Micheal Savage would be looked at suspiciously!

Our company recently did a housing survey(aug '06).
1800 to 2200 sq ft in Boise/Meridian = 190K

They were comping averages for a resort pay schedule for McCall and Sun Valley.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
At a Beauty contest, how do you tell which one is a hooker?

She's the one with the sash that reads I-DA-HO!

OHH! I got a million of 'em
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  Hello, I am thinking about moving to Boise, Idaho. Right now I am in Billings. What should I expect in Boise? How are the gun laws? How good is is the job market. I have also lived in Phoenix for comparison. Would it be wise to move from Montana to Idaho? What are some other options for good gun laws?

I like Boise, lots of choice, desert to the south and mountains to the north, all within a short drive (30 minutes)

Gun laws?  I've heard our gun restriction laws are federal ones, meaning Idaho still values your freedom.  

Job market?  What kind of skills do you got?  Do you have an education?

Never been to Phoenix, cant comment.  Talk to AZ_gun_nut, he's new here and from AZ, he's probably been there.

Would it be a wise move?  Dunno, if you like the outdoors, and arent going to bitch about how much better it was where you came from but never move back, then you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh yeah, a +1 on Boise cops.  If you fuck with them, they will kill your ass.  Nampa police should take note.

For those not in the know:  Nampa is a town next door to Boise.  They have lots (lots for Idaho, not by California or Phoenix standards) of gang problems.  Drive by house shootings (there to afraid to fist fight people, they just put holes in their houses) and a few stabbings.

Housing is cheaper there though, and they do have some nice, normal neighborhoods.  Nampa just gets a bad rap because a few bad apples.  Like anywhere else I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And where do you think all these people infesting our state come from?

BTW:  I'm from NE, so I dont count
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like Boise, lots of choice, desert to the south and mountains to the north, all within a short drive (30 minutes)

Gun laws?  I've heard our gun restriction laws are federal ones, meaning Idaho still values your freedom.  

Never been to Phoenix, cant comment.  Talk to AZ_gun_nut, he's new here and from AZ, he's probably been there.

Would it be a wise move?  Dunno, if you like the outdoors, and arent going to bitch about how much better it was where you came from but never move back, then you'll be fine.

Well I can say this much as far as comparing Phoenix to Boise.

1. The houses here are priced a lot more reasonable than Phoenix.  The same 3200sf house I live in here that cost 180k would have cost me 500k back there.

2. The gun laws in Idaho are on the same level that Arizona is.  Basically you can own what ever you want be it a machine gun or a howitzer.

3.  Getting a CCW in Idaho is a little easier than Arizona, there you MUST take a class, here you can show your DD214 (military discharge papers) or an NRA safety certificate as proof of firearms training.

4. The job market seems to be on par with Phoenix though, wages seem on par and my cost of living has dropped due to cheaper gas, and lower housing costs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I can say this much as far as comparing Phoenix to Boise.

1. The houses here are priced a lot more reasonable than Phoenix.  The same 3200sf house I live in here that cost 180k would have cost me 500k back there.

2. The gun laws in Idaho are on the same level that Arizona is.  Basically you can own what ever you want be it a machine gun or a howitzer.

3.  Getting a CCW in Idaho is a little easier than Arizona, there you MUST take a class, here you can show your DD214 (military discharge papers) or an NRA safety certificate as proof of firearms training.

4. The job market seems to be on par with Phoenix though, wages seem on par and my cost of living has dropped due to cheaper gas, and lower housing costs.

is MT on par with AZ or WY?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Montana is on par, Wyoming I don't know about, never thought of moving there so I haven't checked the gun laws.  I use the NRA web site for my information.

NRA state by state gun laws

I love this tidbit from Montana gun laws,

"This law does not prohibit or interfere with the possession of a machine gun for scientific purposes, or the possession of a machine gun that is not usable as a weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament or keepsake, or the possession of a machine gun for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive."

They basically give you free rein for unregistered machine guns up there.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Montana is on par, Wyoming I don't know about, never thought of moving there so I haven't checked the gun laws.  I use the NRA web site for my information.

NRA state by state gun laws

I love this tidbit from Montana gun laws,

"This law does not prohibit or interfere with the possession of a machine gun for scientific purposes, or the possession of a machine gun that is not usable as a weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament or keepsake, or the possession of a machine gun for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive."

They basically give you free rein for unregistered machine guns up there.

Why on some states does it say you need a permit for carrying for a handgun but others say concealed carry only?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Some states only allow carrying with a permit whether it's conceiled or not.  Other states allow open carry without a permit but conceiled needs a permit.  Arizona is like that, so is Idaho.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some states only allow carrying with a permit whether it's conceiled or not.  Other states allow open carry without a permit but conceiled needs a permit.  Arizona is like that, so is Idaho.

UT also allows open carry without a permit, but the gun can't have a round chambered for a semi or a round chambered or in the next up spot in a revolver.  Kind of pointless.

Isn't Utah Mormom capital? Do they bother non-mormons?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I've heard that therer are more Mormons in Utah but that Idaho has more per capita.  Dont know for sure though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UT also allows open carry without a permit, but the gun can't have a round chambered for a semi or a round chambered or in the next up spot in a revolver.  Kind of pointless.

Wow, now that is silly.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't Utah Mormom capital? Do they bother non-mormons?

I have a few Mormon friends back in Arizona which by the way Mesa AZ is the Arizona Mormon capital.  They are good people but they do tend to treat their Mormon friends differently than their non Mormon friends.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Plenty of full auto shoots in Boise area...pumpkin shoots, tracer shoots and tactical comps...
without a skill you'll make minimum wage...
housing isn't cheap...More millionaires per capital in Idaho than other places which keeps real estate high

90 degrees in October and 9 in March...dry and irrigation causes feuds and neighborhood arguments...

personally I was glad to leave and move to the Panhandle  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I left Boise in 2001 for the Marines, I go back in November (damn 5 year contract).  Every time I go home, Boise is different that I left it.  I wish it would quick developing so fast.  Last time I was there with dad at a Cold Stone's (he was buying because I outshot him) there was some guy with NY tags and shitty hairplugs talking obnoxiously on a cellphone about some 10 million dollar development and how he was gonna make some money.  I wanted to beat him.  Fortunately, few know of or even care about the forested areas to the north and the great Owyhee County to the south.  

For the record, I have no problem with people moving to Idaho as long as they don't mess it up or exploit it.  If they move there, get a job, pay their taxes, stay out of my business, etc., I welcome them.

Also, Mormons are generally politer than the rest.  Occasionally you'll get one in a huffy about saying "fuck", drinking caffeine, or maybe making a reference to bedroom exploits but these types are rare.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
For the record, I have no problem with people moving to Idaho as long as they don't mess it up or exploit it.  If they move there, get a job, pay their taxes, stay out of my business, etc., I welcome them.

*sigh* unfortunately, they invariably do cause problems.  

Quoted:
Also, Mormons are generally politer than the rest.  Occasionally you'll get one in a huffy about saying "fuck", drinking caffeine, or maybe making a reference to bedroom exploits but these types are rare.

Most of my wife's family is more the latter, than the former.  Most... not all.  I am friends with a couple of those that are not.  :-) That was one of the biggest problems between my wife and I, when I first met her mom.  Her mom immediately did NOT like me, since I was not Mormon.  Of course, even amongst her own FAMILY, she is looked at (my wife's mother) as a complete moron.  :-)  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
*sigh* unfortunately, they invariably do cause problems.  

It pains me to agree with Ryfter...... but I don't know why people move to a given area, usually because it provides a certain lifestyle they desire over what they've been used to, then they feel the need to change things to match what they just left. Often times they constantly belittle the locals. Forgetting, or conveniently overlooking the fact that the locals are responsible for creating the lifestyle they so crave!!

Then again we were talking here at work about how, even though *we* think housing is expensive, compared to other parts of the nation it's still cheap. So people are selling their homes in other areas for 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars, moving here and buying an equivalent or larger home for $200,000 or so, and viola!! Instant 150 to 200 thousand dollars to use for investing, retirement, etc. These people are not necessarily looking for a lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
These people are not necessarily looking for a lifestyle change.

Exactly, and its totally cool for them to fuck everybody else over on their way to the top.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
These people are not necessarily looking for a lifestyle change.

Exactly, and its totally cool for them to fuck everybody else over on their way to the top.

Fuckers.

That's one of the major reasons we left Arizona.  All those damn Kalifornians moving in and buying up as many houses as they could and screwing up the housing market so bad that you couldn't afford a 2 bedroom rat hole for less than 150k unless you wanted to drive 40 miles each way to commute to work and back.  Of course the damn illegal situation didn't help matters either.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Welcome to the treasure valley my friend.  There doing it here to, the rest of the country should just disown Kalifornia along with all of its inhabitatns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Welcome to the treasure valley my friend.  There doing it here to, the rest of the country should just disown Kalifornia along with all of its inhabitatns.

Oh sweet god! Really. Fuck, maybe i'll have to go to wyoming or utah.

I hope you are joking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
You'd better just go to Alaska, because after they're done screwing Idaho, Wyoming and Montana will be next.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been looking at MT and ID.  Specifically Boise, Idaho Falls in ID and Billings in MT.  I'm begining to think Lander, Riverton, Cody or even Casper WY would be a better choice.

Any of the above referenced is better than Charlotte, NC and I can say that with confidence, as I am a NC native.  NC used to be a great place to live.  Not anymore.

I am through with my rant.

SM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Move wherever  you want, and then write to everybody you know back home and tell them how horrible your new local is.

Actually I dont think we see to many easterners out here.  I guess they just dont want to compete with the gang bang Californians are infilicting on everything this side of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Dont mind me everybody, I'm just cranky, pissed off and bitter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

is MT better than AZ (gun laws) or worse or same?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is MT better than AZ (gun laws) or worse or same?

Same, maybe a hair better.  If you read my last post on page one you'll see some remarks as to Montana gun laws.  Remember, that's where "The Freemen" live.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Idaho is great.

It just isn't anything like where you are from. If you have a bit of redneck in your blood you will absolutely feel alive in Idaho. Folks are friendly and you will only hear how bad the Californians are from closet Californians. The rest of us will make you feel welcome.  Once we get to know you...

And darn it, we aren't all white supremacists! Boise, Moscow and Sun Valley have real gay people and we hire illegal immigrants by the hundreds. The politicians and do-gooders tell us that if we make an extra effort to let the world see our willingness to improve the diversity of our culture, people will want to bring their money and businesses here. Heck we even have a hate speech law. Thank goodness.

It is of course the only place I have been where people look at license plates before they decide how to react to your presence.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Idaho is great.

It just isn't anything like where you are from. If you have a bit of redneck in your blood you will absolutely feel alive in Idaho. Folks are friendly   and you will only hear how bad the Californians are from closet Californians. The rest of us will make you feel welcome.  Once we get to know you...

Blue = True

Red = I dont think so
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#42]
You have a point. They just seem to make the most noise. I think they don't want anyone to know their secret.

Our town is full of closet Californians. Man do they bitch about how bad the growth is and those damned Californians. They've arrived in Idaho now shut the barn door.

Of course the rest of us are too ignorant to know how to manage without their advice and guidance.

Must be the tree sap that keeps them stuck up here!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, its a good thing they can come over here and teach us dumb hicks how to manage a good thing.

I know what you mean about the closet Californians though, I've talked to a few at work and such.

For the record I dont count, I was born there and nothing more.  Lived most of my life in Nebraska which is another dumb hick state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn... JR is a Kalifornian... I will never look at him the same... again.  

I am lucky, I was born in Nevada.  :-)  Nothing too bad there... of course, my first memories are of Idaho, since I moved here when I was 1.  :-)  My parents are both from Ohio, along with my Grandmother.  My Grandfather is from Twin falls.  I still have no clue how my grandmother met my grandfather.  :-)  I know they helped my parents move out the Nevada, and then up to Lewiston.  

Idaho isn't bad.  South East is pretty redneck.  Actually, most of the south is.  But, there is a LOT of open space.  I prefer more central/north central Idaho.  Trees and mountains are for me.  :-)  Far Northern Idaho has some great farm land.  All the land in this area is farm land because of irrigation.  Up there, I think they can almost make it all on rain.  :-)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks 1GUNRUNNER
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I might be 10 min late to Shell sat morning, gotta help the FIL move a couch, he may attend the shoot.  He's got a Beretta Citori LNIB for sale BTW.  

I don't need it as I put a Benelli SBE on layaway today (don't tell the wife)
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I don't need it as I put a Benelli SBE on layaway today (don't tell the wife)

If you give me your ACOG there will be nothing to worry about, if not, well.....................
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, It's just that she told me BEFORE I get any more guns I had to get a Firesafe with more room,  instead of just a gun cabinet. (more secure... It's for the children.)

BUT It's OK now, I found a loophole  

Sell one to get one(better)

This weekend will be the last shoot for the winchester defender
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow, somehow this thread got jacked from talking about Idaho being the Gunning/Hunting Mecca...Er, um I mean hell hole of a place you Goldenstaters wouldn't want to visit, to spiff trying to extort my ACOG!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Just like my rant thread turned into buying 1911's
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top