Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 9:53:01 PM EDT
Crap. On my never ending list of things to do for the move, it just hit me. What do I do about my firearms permit? I am moving from one county (where my permit was issued) to another. Do I have to apply in the new county? Is my original good in the new county?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah, I thinks me just answered me own question:

16-11-129.
(a) Application for license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $15.00, issue a license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application, which license shall authorize that person to carry any pistol or revolver in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person´s county of residence or state of domicile. Applicants shall submit the application for a license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license. Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant such as serial numbers or other identification capable of being used as a de facto registration of firearms owned by the applicant. The Department of Public Safety shall furnish application forms and license forms required by this Code section. The forms shall be furnished to each judge of each probate court within the state at no cost.

Sounds like, according to 16-11-129a, that the permit is valid despite a change in county residence. Did I read that correctly?

I am probably going to need mine where I am going.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ah, I thinks me just answered me on question:

16-11-129.
(a) Application for license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $15.00, issue a license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application, which license shall authorize that person to carry any pistol or revolver in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person´s county of residence or state of domicile. Applicants shall submit the application for a license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license. Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant such as serial numbers or other identification capable of being used as a de facto registration of firearms owned by the applicant. The Department of Public Safety shall furnish application forms and license forms required by this Code section. The forms shall be furnished to each judge of each probate court within the state at no cost.

Sounds like, according to 16-11-129a, that the permit is valid despite a change in county residence. Did I read that correctly?

I am probably going to need mine where I am going.

You nailed it.  No need for me to change my license when it was issued in Henry county, followed me to Fulton, then on up to Hall, then finally in Gwinnett when it expired, and I got it renewed in Gwinnett.  BTW Probate Judge in Hall country pulled that statute up and told me no need change my addy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Crap. On my never ending list of things to do for the move, it just hit me. What do I do about my firearms permit? I am moving from one county (where my permit was issued) to another. Do I have to apply in the new county? Is my original good in the new county?

What did the new county turn out to be? I figured you would end up in Effingham or Bryan but never heard anything definite.

Looks like we're going to try a group shoot next weekend at Richmond Hill. You up for it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did the new county turn out to be? I figured you would end up in Effingham or Bryan but never heard anything definite.

Looks like we're going to try a group shoot next weekend at Richmond Hill. You up for it?

IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top