Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2008 7:11:28 AM EDT

I was just reading an article that mentioned Perdue is feeling pressure to not sign HB 89 into law.  If so, should we be writing letters to the restaurant association? Should we be asking restaurant owners and general managers where they stand on this issue?  

I don't know if we should, but I was wondering what you all thought.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Do we have any restaurant owners on here?  Or does anyone know of any restaurant owners who are pro-carry?  

We could at the very least frequent their establishments.  

-Mrs.Monk
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the first step would be to find out who and what chains are members of the Georgia Restaurant Association or whatever it is and start writing letters to the corporate heads of those chains and restaurants stating that you will not be patronizing their restaurants if the Governor vetoes this bill due to the restaurant associations scare tactics.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a thread going on about this over at Georgiapacking, I'll try to find a link.

ETA: www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12325
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
My family owns 4.. we have commented..
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
See this thread  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=305203&page=1

See the first post by Kaiser27...   looks like he has some contacts in the restaurant business.

I agree w/ contacting some of the bigger companies that are a part of the association. Also, any current restaurant owners that are also a part of the association and for hb 89, would be great folks to put pressure on the assoc.  we're just outsiders to them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep Id like to see a list of the places that are owned by the folks putting pressure on him.  It will be real easy for me to show them how I feel about it by never taking my business there again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I just saw on their website there are ~14,000 restaurants in the state that are members.  www.garestaurants.org/join/

and the GRA is very active in the state legistlature...   maybe GCO has some ideas on what we can do???
www.garestaurants.org/government_relations/

I will be looking for GRA stickers posted at restaurants from now on...  the only way the association will back off, is if it's in the majority of their members interests convince the higher ups to back off.

So, we're back to what someone suggested earlier, who know's someone that a member and for HB 89?  Get them to call the GRA.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just saw on their website there are ~14,000 restaurants in the state that are members.  www.garestaurants.org/join/

and the GRA is very active in the state legistlature...   maybe GCO has some ideas on what we can do???
www.garestaurants.org/government_relations/

I will be looking for GRA stickers posted at restaurants from now on...  the only way the association will back off, is if it's in the majority of their members interests convince the higher ups to back off.

So, we're back to what someone suggested earlier, who know's someone that a member and for HB 89?  Get them to call the GRA.

Government Affairs
Political Advocacy
Your Strong Voice in Georgia’s Legislature

The GRA is your voice to influence regulatory and legislative issues that go right to your BOTTOM LINE!

Here is a summary of the local and state issues we tracked affecting restaurants during the 2005-2006 sessions of the General Assembly and beyond:

CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS – worked with bill sponsor to pull proposed legislation that would have required criminal background checks on any employees who would perform services in a private residence. This would have affected delivery personnel and all catering staff.

Look at what GRA thinks about the public safety, they oppose HB89 but are for not having criminal background checks on delivery employees.  They seem to have a conflicting view on safety legislation that they support/oppose.

http://www.garestaurants.org/government_relations/
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
 This whole mess makes me sick... it seems these guys throw their weight around for no other reason than the fact they can.  I wonder about doing a week of "empty holster" demonstrations, like the college guys did?  You know, just to let the restaurant industry know how many people are opposed to their actions.  While I hate to give away the fact I carry a weapon, some kind of statement MUST be made to these clowns.

Since becoming an LEO, I carry everywhere, and I love the places I can go now I couldn't go with a GFL (still not the aquarium, though, since apparently not even a trained LEO can be trusted around a bunch of fish... Whatever).  I don't see any reason for the gov not to sign this, just like I didn't see any reason to take out the public gatherings or church repeals from the final version, either.  It seems to me the prohibition of consuming alcohol while carrying was enough to cover the bases... if you break the rules, you lose your GFL; every GFL holder I've ever encountered went out of his/her way to follow the rules, and was far more educated and understanding of the system that the average Joe.  Unfortunately, they don't care what we think, as long as they appease the high-ups of Fulton, Dekalb, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]

I have to join that GeorgiaPacking.org.  Is it affiliated in any way with GCA?

I will be writing the GRA letting them know of my unhappiness in their position (respectfully, of course). and I will be asking for a membership list in my tri-county area so as to not frequent their members because of their position on HB 89.  I also write that I'll be avoiding restaurants with GRA stickers or signs.  I doubt they'll let me know who their members are, but its worth asking.

But what we really need is a GRA member who thinks his association is making a mistake and speak out.  Or at least get them to get access to the membership directory and post the establishment who are members of GRA.  

Anyone know anyone with such gumption?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top