Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/19/2003 9:12:40 AM EST
Does anyone know if is legal to purchase a pistol lower receiver (only the serial numbered lower) in New York State? I mean this in similar terms to buying an AR-15 lower receiver, i.e. FFL transfer, necessary paperwork, etc. If this is legal, has anyone done this? I know pistol permit amendment forms ask for caliber and barrel length, so I'm not sure how to even register one? Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:37:38 PM EST
I'm guessing here, but I'd assume you'd have to put it on a pistol permit like any other pistol in NY
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:09:23 AM EST
I live in Westchester....I registered a virgin DPMS AR15 lower on my permit...put in .223 as the caliber but left the barrel length blank...it went thru as a Panther Arms a15....they must of gotten that info from the serial number.....
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:36:32 AM EST
Thanks guys for your input, I know I would definitely have to put it on my pistol permit. Specifically in my case however, I'm considering the purchase of a Glock lower receiver because I can get my hands on a complete upper fairly cheaply. The problem is, with a Glock, the new lower receivers are identical (within the series) for the 17/22/31, the 20/21, the 19/23/32, the 26/27, and the 29/30. If I was to buy a lower by itself, it has no caliber or model designation per se. The permit amendment form and back of the permit lists that specifically.

user426 - Did you register that AR lower as a handgun? I'm not from Westchester County so I'm not familiar with the county level regs.

I've not yet asked the local FFL guys although as I've found with most other questions I've asked them, I'll get 5 different answers from 5 different FFLs. I thought I'd try here first, people here seem to have a better grasp on rules and regs than the local dealers as a rule.
Top Top