Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 9:32:51 PM EDT
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/st-louis-business-owner-hastie-buys-missouri-cobalt-mine-as/article_3a410b61-9a1f-5188-8d4a-f9ef950ebe8a.html

So, this is funny. I explored this mine a few years back when I lived in Rolla, not knowing it was private property (not posted, painted, or anything).

They're planning on sinking a ton of capital into it without their own exploration program; I'd assume they have old drill core from when Anschutz last fiddled with the property in the 80s. This company basically popped up out of nowhere.

I've got some old USBM documents on the mine from the last time it was operated from 1944-1961. Very low deposit height, no more than 15 feet and often down to 7 - they'll need dedicated underground trucks and LHDs, no repurposing surface mining equipment like we do at the mine I'm working at. Good news is that the last operator (National Lead?) drove a decline directly into the old workings to retrieve their equipment after shutting the mine down in '61; the decline could theoretically be dewatered and rehabilitated for rapid underground access. The production shaft is capped, and totally unlike anything that would be done nowadays - rectangular three-compartment, real shallow (390 feet, I believe).

There's another mine nearby, the Higdon (readers of the CREEPY Thread may remember my experiences at that one!) with mineral rights owned by Doe Run, with similar geology, possibly similar enough that its ore would be compatible with the mill to be constructed for Madison. It would likely be economically viable to finish development of Higdon and truck ore to the Madison mill.

If this property were developed from the ground up now, it would probably be a surface mine, but that won't happen given the environmental disaster that is the surface. Probably hundreds of thousands of tons of tailings containing heavy metals, as well as an old lead smelter(!) that I refused to go near.

Madison County needs the jobs. Only thing that would be better for southern Missouri would be if Doe Run or others got the Irish Wilderness opened up to mining. Shannon County needs high-paying mining jobs worse than anywhere else in the state. I may put my name in the hat for this one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2018 11:00:50 PM EDT by smullen]
Keeping an eye on this too as I live just outside Fredericktown in Madison County....
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2018 12:52:46 AM EDT by ziegenbock]
https://dailyjournalonline.com/fredericktown/news/governor-this-is-huge-for-small-town-missouri/article_14452ea8-e07e-5cde-81d3-5380d79a2253.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

The Missouri Cobalt mine holds an estimated 35 million pounds of recoverable cobalt and is likely the largest reserve in North America. The site also contains 51 million pounds of nickel and 65 million pounds of copper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:54:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SouthernPhantom:
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/st-louis-business-owner-hastie-buys-missouri-cobalt-mine-as/article_3a410b61-9a1f-5188-8d4a-f9ef950ebe8a.html

So, this is funny. I explored this mine a few years back when I lived in Rolla, not knowing it was private property (not posted, painted, or anything).

They're planning on sinking a ton of capital into it without their own exploration program; I'd assume they have old drill core from when Anschutz last fiddled with the property in the 80s. This company basically popped up out of nowhere.

I've got some old USBM documents on the mine from the last time it was operated from 1944-1961. Very low deposit height, no more than 15 feet and often down to 7 - they'll need dedicated underground trucks and LHDs, no repurposing surface mining equipment like we do at the mine I'm working at. Good news is that the last operator (National Lead?) drove a decline directly into the old workings to retrieve their equipment after shutting the mine down in '61; the decline could theoretically be dewatered and rehabilitated for rapid underground access. The production shaft is capped, and totally unlike anything that would be done nowadays - rectangular three-compartment, real shallow (390 feet, I believe).

There's another mine nearby, the Higdon (readers of the CREEPY Thread may remember my experiences at that one!) with mineral rights owned by Doe Run, with similar geology, possibly similar enough that its ore would be compatible with the mill to be constructed for Madison. It would likely be economically viable to finish development of Higdon and truck ore to the Madison mill.

If this property were developed from the ground up now, it would probably be a surface mine, but that won't happen given the environmental disaster that is the surface. Probably hundreds of thousands of tons of tailings containing heavy metals, as well as an old lead smelter(!) that I refused to go near.

Madison County needs the jobs. Only thing that would be better for southern Missouri would be if Doe Run or others got the Irish Wilderness opened up to mining. Shannon County needs high-paying mining jobs worse than anywhere else in the state. I may put my name in the hat for this one.
View Quote
Group buy?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 12:29:35 AM EDT
I deer hunt very near the higdon site. Hope it doesn’t go active.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:54:57 PM EDT
@SouthernPhantom

Which mine do you work in now? I grew up in a mining family. My dad went to work for Amax in 1970 and later went to work for Guenter-Nash(spelling?) in the early 80s sinking the Westfork shaft for Asarco. When the shaft was completed he worked for Asarco as a general Forman until they sold out to Doe Run. He worked for Doe Run until retirement. I worked for Asarco at Westfork out of High School but dad convinced me the mines would only be in operation another 10 years so I moved to another career. I suspect he just didn’t want me to stay working in the mines.

Anything that brings good jobs to the Reynolds-Shannon County area is a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 6:18:46 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scpd755:
@SouthernPhantom

Which mine do you work in now? I grew up in a mining family. My dad went to work for Amax in 1970 and later went to work for Guenter-Nash(spelling?) in the early 80s sinking the Westfork shaft for Asarco. When the shaft was completed he worked for Asarco as a general Forman until they sold out to Doe Run. He worked for Doe Run until retirement. I worked for Asarco at Westfork out of High School but dad convinced me the mines would only be in operation another 10 years so I moved to another career. I suspect he just didn’t want me to stay working in the mines.

Anything that brings good jobs to the Reynolds-Shannon County area is a good thing.
View Quote
@scpd755

I work at an underground limestone mine in central Kentucky; we mainly produce high-dolomite road base from a shallow drift mine and may shift over to a slope or shaft deep mine in five to seven years after our current seam is mined out.

Technically your dad may have been telling the truth. As I understand it, Doe Run only explores incrementally - having a short reserve life avoids taxation on reserves that won't be mined for twenty years or more. They have a very active exploration program. I just can't imagine that reserves in the Viburnum Trend will last too much longer; the time to look at developing new properties is probably getting pretty close.

Doe Run owns Annapolis, Higdon, and Boss-Bixby as well as virtually the entire Old Lead Belt (assets and liabilities inherited from St. Joe). It would not surprise me if modern exploration methods found additional viable orebodies in the region. Additionally, there has been some talk of reopening No. 27 and No. 28 mines. No. 27 is completely gone and would basically need to be redeveloped from scratch. No. 28's surface plant is in good shape; the workings are flooded and located only about 1000ft from Buick-Magmont's north side (Buick-Magmont's underground mine is idled; the mill is processing ore from Casteel and No. 29). Dewatering and rehabilitation would be necessary, but it is in my opinion the easiest asset to reopen.

Annapolis gives me the creeps; that whole property is seriously off and I would not be willing to work there.

Higdon's hoists are in great shape, but everything else is a bit of a mess. Then again, our mill in Kentucky is in way worse shape than anything structural at Higdon, and MSHA didn't see anything wrong with it at our last inspection.

Boss-Bixby is just an exploration property with zero development. It's an IOCG deposit, and therefore will not be able to share a mill with any of Doe Run's existing mines.

The fact is, to develop a district-scale program based on known deposits in SEMO to replace Viburnum Trend production and income, the Irish Wilderness is the only game in town unless Doe Run wants to get into underground iron and mess with Bourbon, Krantz Spring, and Camel's Hump.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:44:03 PM EDT
Fascinating discussion gentlemen, keep it up. I’m enjoying it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:55:17 PM EDT
I know there is a guy around town building up those self storage places everywhere he can get a few acres...

Also, I just saw a Cafe that was recently called "Mugshot", looks like its not open yet, but its now called the Miner's Diner, or something like that...
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:36:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:20:41 AM EDT
Does anybody know the exact location of this mine?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:17:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ziegenbock:
View Quote
Yes, it's just southeast of Fredericktown. Backs right up to Cobalt Village. The tailings ponds are very visible on Google Earth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:33:33 AM EDT
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I've ridden all over that place a few times, but I've never seen what looked like a mine shaft or mine entrance. I guess I assumed it was all filled in, likely to never be used again... Guessing that was wrong. :)

I have seen the entrance to the old Silver Mine over at the ""Silver Mines" Campground. Its about a 1.5-2 mile hike back (up and down) and it gets pretty rocky, but very doable.. The air coming out of it feels like its about 20 degrees colder than the outside air in the summer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:40:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By smullen:
Now that you mention it, I've ridden all over that place a few times, but I've never seen what looked like a mine shaft or mine entrance. I guess I assumed it was all filled in, likely to never be used again... Guessing that was wrong. :)

I have seen the entrance to the old Silver Mine over at the ""Silver Mines" Campground. Its about a 1.5-2 mile hike back (up and down) and it gets pretty rocky, but very doable.. The air coming out of it feels like its about 20 degrees colder than the outside air in the summer.
View Quote
The No. 5 (production) and No. 1 (service) shafts are capped with reinforced concrete, but not filled as far as I know.

My fiancee and I actually moved about a ton of rock from the upper entrance at Silvermines (not the one just above the main portal; the USFS sucks at literature searches and misses things ) to keep the natural ventilation working properly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:56:49 AM EDT

The No. 5 (production) and No. 1 (service) shafts are capped with reinforced concrete, but not filled as far as I know.

My fiancee and I actually moved about a ton of rock from the upper entrance at Silvermines (not the one just above the main portal; the USFS sucks at literature searches and misses things ) to keep the natural ventilation working properly.
View Quote
I'd be interested to hear more about that. What exactly you did, how you did it, how you got to it, etc...

I'm guessing the entrance that I saw was the lower one?
It was like a walk in type deal. Low ceiling, I'd have to duck some if I walked in, kind of looked like a car port sticking out of the hill side, had benches on either side and a gate back in there maybe like 20' back. Standing water about 4-6" deep right in side the entrance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 3:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2018 6:05:02 PM EDT by SouthernPhantom]
I'd be interested to hear more about that. What exactly you did, how you did it, how you got to it, etc...

I'm guessing the entrance that I saw was the lower one?
It was like a walk in type deal. Low ceiling, I'd have to duck some if I walked in, kind of looked like a car port sticking out of the hill side, had benches on either side and a gate back in there maybe like 20' back. Standing water about 4-6" deep right in side the entrance.
View Quote
Did it by hand. Threw and shoveled lots of boulders, scaled the rock above the incline, stuff like that. We were hoping to get it open enough to access the upper level of the mine, but settled for improving the ventilation. We also found the entrance to Wood Chute Tunnel, but it's full to the top and would require hours of shoveling and/or a backhoe to open.

Yes, you saw the lower entrance. I believe it filled in somewhat with mud; the height should increase after some distance.

ETA: There is a privately-owned cabin with an access road leading directly to the upper entrance (the New Discovery incline); the owner was perfectly happy to let us park on his property and walk over to the mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:11:00 PM EDT
Yes, it's just southeast of Fredericktown. Backs right up to Cobalt Village. The tailings ponds are very visible on Google Earth.
View Quote
East Marvin Ave?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:14:15 PM EDT

View Quote
I couldn't believe there are silver mines in Madison County...lol. I don't think I've been to the campground you are talking about..but it might be time to buy a metal detector
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:38:33 AM EDT
Ive rode dirt bikes all over that old mine site. There's some pretty cool buildings to explore, cool jumps that were probably made in the 70s-80s.

I'm glad it will bring some good jobs to the area....we sure need it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:00:47 PM EDT

East Marvin Ave?
View Quote
@ziegenbock

Yes, that's the (gated) north entrance near the old National Lead smelter. The south entrance on CR203 (Bloomfield) had one gated road and one non-gated road.

I can about guarantee the site is locked down heavily, or will be once they begin work. Missouri Cobalt wants to produce concentrates starting next year; that will almost certainly not happen unless the existing shafts are in far better condition than I expected. Mill construction is another big deal, to say nothing of the massive environmental liability from legacy facilities on the property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:57:15 PM EDT
Since this is about cobalt and I find it interesting for Missouri, information on cobalt.
Top Top