Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 9:50:55 AM EDT
I seem to remember seeing one of these at a gunshow a while back.  Anyone have any info on these things?  Good or bad?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if they are good or bad but if you want to check one out, I saw one at Turner's in Norwalk about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
i was there monday. all they have are the 22lr ak look alikes. i have not seen one at a turners for over a year. they look ok for a plinker if you have hicap mags if not a think an sks would be better. they used to sell for $200 at turners. i have seen them at gun shows for around $300 and that is for the 223 rifle. i would buy one in 7.62x39 if it was under $300. anymore than that and you could get a kel tec su16 or used mini14.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard the .223 versions suck out the ass. Major feeding problems, jams, FTF, FTE, etc.

I also have heard many people say that the AK is less accurate than an SKS.

SKS is cheaper and semi-auto.

Like it was said, if you have hicaps for it then it might be worth it, if not, you'd probably be better off with a good quality SKS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I seem to remember seeing one of these at a gunshow a while back.  Anyone have any info on these things?  Good or bad?

I bought a 7.62x39 pump AK months ago for $250 plus taxes and DROS.  Haven't shot it yet, but the quality looks good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The .223 version is all that i've seen. I think they were called SAR 3?  Not sure anymore.  Century arms imports them and you can at least see a pic on their website.  I had all the info on them, on my old comp but its fried now
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The .223 version is all that i've seen. I think they were called SAR 3?  Not sure anymore.  Century arms imports them and you can at least see a pic on their website.  I had all the info on them, on my old comp but its fried now

My 7.62x39 pump AK is a PAR1.  They are getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input fellas.  I did a little reseach, and I think I'll just stick with my beloved SKS's. hat This makes cocking it a bit of a PITA.  I guess it was too hard to figure out a way to attach the receiver cover without losing that spring.  

It might be ok for novelty, but that's about it IMO.  If SHTF I'm going to my ChiCom SKS with a chest pouch full of 122gr FMJ. h.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From what I read, the pump action on the PAR1 is NOT like a pump on a shotgun.  Apparently you have to pump against the tension of the return spring. This makes cocking it a bit of a PITA.  I guess it was too hard to figure out a way to attach the receiver cover without losing that spring.  

YES. It is almost like racking the slide back on a pistol. I've played with one and wasn't really impressed. The one that I looked at, the forearm that you "pump" was pretty small and wasn't that comfortable to rack.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From what I read, the pump action on the PAR1 is NOT like a pump on a shotgun.  Apparently you have to pump against the tension of the return spring. This makes cocking it a bit of a PITA.  I guess it was too hard to figure out a way to attach the receiver cover without losing that spring.  

YES. It is almost like racking the slide back on a pistol. I've played with one and wasn't really impressed. The one that I looked at, the forearm that you "pump" was pretty small and wasn't that comfortable to rack.

Can these be changed back, in case of a complete social/earthquake/ breakdown of society/SHTF type thing?  

As with so many surplus kits, and the fact it still uses an AK series receiver, my guess is it shouldn't be too hard to return to origina configuration if the SHTF, or you move out of the state.  Maybe removing the rivets, and replacing the front trunnion, etc....

Just curious......
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually wondered that same thing.  But isn't the AK47 RECEIVER itself an "AW"?  If so, and it's a standard AK receiver, wouldn't it still be illegal even if it's a pump action?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top