Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2007 2:03:52 PM EDT
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later; Got pulled over for the first time while carrying down in Gardner, KS.  I had just gotten off work at about three in the morning, cop flipped a bitch & proceeded to pull me over.  I turned on the interior light, removed the keys from the ignition & placed them on the dash, and finally placed both hands on the steering wheel.  When he came to the window he asked me, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"  I said "No."  Said I was driving too SLOW!    Said I was doing 25 in a 35!  Anyways, gave him my DL (Not CCW Permit) & proof of insurance and didn't say anything.  After returning from his vehicle he handed me back my ID and didn't say/ask anything about whether or not I was carrying.  No ticket, no warning, no nothing; just drove off on my marry way.  I'm assuming he pulled me over hoping to find a drunk headed home from the bar.
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
generaly its a good idea to have ins. and licence ready when they get to the car, keeps them from glove box fishing. I have a don't ask don't tell policy with cops.  Not that harbor any malicious feelings twards the police, or any contraband for that matter.

I have been told by more than one cop to pull over, turn on your dome light, lower your window, and turn the car off.  Then leave your hands on the wheel.  Rummaging in a console or a glove box before they get there makes them nervous.

Also, for our friends here in Neberaska, you are REQUIRED to inform a police officer if you are carrying.  Not doing so can result in revocation of your permit.  Drive (and shoot) safely!
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you were driving in a controlled manner, yet under the speed limit, he thought you'd been smoking marijuana.  Marijuana's effect on drivers makes them drive slower.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Since you were driving in a controlled manner, yet under the speed limit, he thought you'd been smoking marijuana.  Marijuana's effect on drivers makes them drive slower.

Drunks drive too slow too. Impairment from any intoxicant retards your ability to multi-task. Concentrate on not weaving in your lane, you can't concentrate on maintaining your speed and vice-versa (among many other things).
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to do my fishing on a warm summer evening, it looks like this fine officer prefers to do his at night.
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Heeeey holmes, we drivin?

Link Posted: 7/28/2007 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a bullshit stop to me, but glad it went smoothly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

it was three in the morning, and he was driving in a manner statistically consistent with impairment.  given the situation i'd MUCH rather the cops stop me to make sure than not; shows me that they do take their job seriously and mean to investigate when things look fishy.

obviously if there's no law being broken, no harm no foul have a good evening.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was three in the morning, and he was driving in a manner statistically consistent with impairment.  given the situation i'd MUCH rather the cops stop me to make sure than not; shows me that they do take their job seriously and mean to investigate when things look fishy.

obviously if there's no law being broken, no harm no foul have a good evening.

Obviously if there's no law being broken, there is no reason for the stop.  I have personally been pulled over for "Driving Late At Night" so the cop can come up and give me the smell test, and I don't really care for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Obviously if there's no law being broken, there is no reason for the stop.  I have personally been pulled over for "Driving Late At Night" so the cop can come up and give me the smell test, and I don't really care for it.

you're missing the point--the manner in which he was driving was statistically consistent with an impaired driver.  if a driver is impaired, there's a law being broken.

so you're saying that if he'd been weaving all over the road, but at least staying barely inside the lines for his own lane, that technically since he wasn't breaking a law a cop shouldn't pull him over to make sure he isn't impaired?

i guess there's a reason you're not a cop.  and i'm thankful for it.

Sorry, man, but you're dead wrong on this one.  It's an unlawful stop.  He didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion of any law being broken.  He could have been looking for an address for all the cop knows.  Driving slowly is not enough to make a stop.  If he was also swerving, crossed the center line, or even threw a cigarette butt out the window, it would have been lawful, but it wasn't.  The driver could have had three pounds of cocaine in the car, and it would have been suppressed because the original reason for the stop was unlawful.

And weaving all over your lane is reasonable suspicion to pull someone over.

Jared
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you're missing the point--the manner in which he was driving was statistically consistent with an impaired driver.  if a driver is impaired, there's a law being broken.

so you're saying that if he'd been weaving all over the road, but at least staying barely inside the lines for his own lane, that technically since he wasn't breaking a law a cop shouldn't pull him over to make sure he isn't impaired?

i guess there's a reason you're not a cop.  and i'm thankful for it.

Sorry, man, but you're dead wrong on this one.  It's an unlawful stop.  He didn't have probable cause or reasonable suspicion of any law being broken.  He could have been looking for an address for all the cop knows.  Driving slowly is not enough to make a stop.  If he was also swerving, crossed the center line, or even threw a cigarette butt out the window, it would have been lawful, but it wasn't.  The driver could have had three pounds of cocaine in the car, and it would have been suppressed because the original reason for the stop was unlawful.

And weaving all over your lane is reasonable suspicion to pull someone over.

Jared

how is weaving reasonable suspicion but driving noticeably slow not?  hint:  they're the same.  uncommon driving practices which are statistically linked to impaired drivers.

if a drunk driver were to go through a red light 10mph below the speed limit and kill members of your family, would you be jumping up and down screaming how grateful you were a cop didn't "unlawfully" stop the drunk driver?

jesus tapdancing christ, give me a freakin break.  i guess for some people, cops are either not doing enough, or "overstepping their bounds".  either way it at least gives you something to whine about on the internet.

tell ya what, next time you feel you've been pulled over illegally, you go ahead and tell the cop that and refuse to cooperate.  see how far it gets you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Said I was doing 25 in a 35!

The driver thought he was right at or under the speed limit, the cop said he was doing 10 under which is still not against the law.  Nothing about swerving.  According to the post, there were no laws being broken hence no reason at all for a traffic stop.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Second!

Jared
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top