Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 6/12/2007 10:01:26 AM EST

Going 71 (he said) in a 50. He was a nice guy and I did everything right, respectfully, and cleanly, so after a brief discussion on the Makarov that I was carrying (which he took back and ran the numbers), he let me off.

I was pretty surprised (and pleased).
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:25:36 AM EST
Good to hear that the event went well....although, I don't see the need to disarm you and 'run' the numbers for a simple traffic violation.

According to Packing.org, in Alabama you are under no obligation to inform the LEO you are armed. Is that correct?

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:25:56 AM EST
Why did he run the numbers on the Mak?

You had your concealed carry license with you, right?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 11:02:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
Going 71 (he said) in a 50. He was a nice guy and I did everything right, respectfully, and cleanly, so after a brief discussion on the Makarov that I was carrying (which he took back and ran the numbers), he let me off.

If I were LEO I would pull you over too! Shady lookin bastard!

Are you still driving the same truck?

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:29:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By brain3278:

If I were LEO I would pull you over too! Shady lookin bastard!

Are you still driving the same truck?

lol, yes.

Hobbit, he would have asked anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:06:29 PM EST
B'ham fuzzard pulled me over in St Clair County on I-59. I stopped and he asked for my DL and ins. card. Gave them to him. He asked me if I knew why he stopped me and I said yep, you got pissed when I passed you on the right while you were blocking the left lane by driving less that 70. I then asked why he stopped me since he had no jurisdiction. Got my stuff back cause he could do nada and left. He was driving to Springfield for some reason.

Jerk
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 2:01:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hobbit:
Why did he run the numbers on the Mak?

-Hobbit

my thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:15:27 AM EST
Here's the right question. Why in hell were you carrying a Makarov? Is that all you have for a carry pistol?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:32:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By USPC40:
Here's the right question. Why in hell were you carrying a Makarov? Is that all you have for a carry pistol?

because of the six pistols I have owned, it has impressed me the most for CCW (good size, very accurate). And, I've never had a failure of any kind with it. Additionally, it was cheap when I bought it from AimSurplus years ago, so if my truck is ever stolen / I lose it, it won't devistate me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:04:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 5:05:36 AM EST by jjoinson]

dupe, sorry
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:04:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By USPC40:

because of the six pistols I have owned, it has impressed me the most for CCW (good size, very accurate). And, I've never had a failure of any kind with it. Additionally, it was cheap when I bought it from AimSurplus years ago, so if my truck is ever stolen / I lose it, it won't devistate me.

So you're saying you're cheap? j/k
and since no one else asked... the cop said you were doing 71.... how fast were you REALLY going?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:52:01 AM EST
any time I come across a pistol, I run it. If somebody stole your gun and the POS who took it gets pulled over and the cop doesnt run the pistol and find it stolen, what would you say then?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:39:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By topgunz1:
any time I come across a pistol, I run it. If somebody stole your gun and the POS who took it gets pulled over and the cop doesnt run the pistol and find it stolen, what would you say then?

Cool! I'm eager to see what an LEO has to say about all this.
Don't mean to be combative because I appreciate what you guys do, but here's what I think:

I see it as an invasion of privacy. If an individual is licenced to carry and has that licence on them, what's the excuse for checking the serial number? Why not check my wallet for stolen credit cards while you're at it? Nobody would tolerate that.
You wouldn't go poking around in random houses looking for my stolen gun, would you? It's the same thing to me.

If a person is carrying illegally, then I understand running the numbers- a gun-related crime has been comitted already, so why not run the numbers? I have no problem with that.

So, if the Fourth amendment pertects us from search and seizure without probable cause, what's the probable cause to run the numbers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an aside- I was pulled over in GA for pulling into a turn lane more than 20 yards from an actual turn (weird, but it is the law there). When I was pulled over, I handed the officer my driver's license and my carry permit at the same time.
Officer: "O.K., so where is it at?"
Me: "It's inside that bag on the floorboard."
Officer: "Alright, that's fine. Since there's a gun in the car, can I ask you to stand outside the vehicle while I run this?"
Me: "Sure, no problem."

Sounded like a reasonable request to me, so I had no problem with it. This guy's job can be risky, and he wanted to be careful. He didn't ask to run any numbers.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 1:58:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 11:13:06 AM EST by CavalryJim]

Originally Posted By topgunz1:

I would say the exact same thing I say every time a cop doesn't treat a law abiding citizen like a thief.

What is so miraculous about a pistol that makes you automatically assume it is stolen? If they have children in the car, do you accuse them of kidnapping and hold their children in custody until proven otherwise?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:37:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 5:38:24 AM EST by HardShell]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:40:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By HardShell:

Going 71 (he said) in a 50...

This was right before we met up Tuesday and you didn't even mention it?

no, earlier in the day :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:40:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hobbit:....
So, if the Fourth amendment pertects us from search and seizure without probable cause, what's the probable cause to run the numbers?

that has been so eroded by the supreme court, that the LE has been really encouraged to take as many liberties as they can, e.g. no way do I see the blanket roadblocks they are now allowed to run by the SCOTUS decisons as being consistent with the fourth amendment

I mean how can we have a "right to privacy" that allows women to legally kill their unborn babies, while at the same time my "right to privacy" doesn't allow me to drive down the road unmolested if I am not breaking any traffic laws or otherwise generating "reasonable suspicion"...what BS

if somebody having a gun and a ccw, and offering that info to an officer generates enough "reasonable suspicion" to investigate if the gun is stolen, then I hope like hell that the LEO's in my area have better leadership, better judgement, and a sense of civil liberties and propriety than these gardendale storm troopers

pretty interesting and twisted interpretations of our constitution have been allowed to become case law by our perverted judges intent on twisting it all to meet their world view

some leo agencies are so intent on catching crooks by any means necessary and allowable, that they don't care about anything else unless it has direct consequences, they fall into a syndrome of thinking that their work and their judgement is more important, that they are "annointed" to do whatever it takes to watch over and control society, no matter who is offended, what lines are crossed, etc. they and their leadership become so focused on arrests and catching people that they loose sight, if they ever had it, of the more subtile and gray civil liberties issues and how their push across that line slowly erodes their support from people like me....

but maybe that doesn't matter anyway, in our Opra'ized society believing in civil liberties and the meaning of the constitution apparently makes you a radical minority...

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:04:08 PM EST
How can you have a "Right to Keep and Bear Arms", if you have to get a Concealed Carry Liscense?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:12:30 PM EST
You should have drove to GA and bought a lottery ticket.

Top Top