Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 11:32:11 AM EDT
Boy does this piss me off.  I came across this thread over at combatcarry.com.  Mentions of a local newspaper in FL that was listing names, address, and birthdates of permit holders!

License list thread

My question is..... is permit holder info private or public in TN?  If public, has this happend (happening) here?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF is this bullshit. Its none of anyones business that I have a carry permit.
It had better be isolated to FL. Or there will be a house rep here that will be getting his ass whipped.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
IT IS PUBLIC RECORD. Oh, yeah. After the law was changed to "shall issue", the local Memphis paper, published EVERY CCW holder's (in the county?) name, zip code, AND EMPLOYER. They got beat to hell in the letters to the editor. (paraphrasing)"It's (was) concealed carry! You can't allow other people to see/know!!","What if an abused wife/girfriend, or stalking victim got a ccw? You just helped someone find them!"," Thanks a lot! You just told criminals where firearms are located...". That kind of thing. The paper's position was "It's the public's right to know if their neighbor is packing." They even included the name of the paper's editor, who had a ccw.  
The paper was, and is still, not worthy of using to line your bird cage.
The Commercial Appeal, aka The Commercial Appall, aka The Communist Appeal.
Not pro-gun. Hell, not even neutral. Surprise.

(ETA: I believe that there have been some public record law changes since this happened. It may have been fixed. Hope so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to join that site, thanks for the link.

Tomorrow I will write the newspaper and give them my name address, and phone number just in case they want to do a national list.

They can have it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
More than 5,000 people in Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties have permits to carry concealed weapons. Does this worry you?
Yes

(13%)
No

(87%)

Poll from the papers website. VOTE IT UP!! Scroll down.

www.nwfdailynews.com/index.shtml

edited to make link hot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Same thing happened here in I believe 94 or so. The Tennessean ( what a great liberal POS that is!) published all known CCW carriers. Luckily now there are too many and it may give people the right idea, so the Tennessean WON'T publish them now.FPOS!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how the liberal papers would react if someone started publishing the name of every woman in town who has had an abortion.

When you want to identify hypocrisy, just reverse the situation and see if they'd still be doing it. If not, they're hypocrites.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not publish names of people who own no guns and are unable to defend themselves?  I would consider this putting my family at risk....rat bastards.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
In a way, this is total facking BS.  WTF???

On the other hand, what are we hiding from?  Go ahead, post my name and address.  Who's going to be dumb enough to go F with someone who knowingly carries a concealed weapon, right?

I still think this is toal facking BS and should not be published, but if that's the case, Fack em.  Maybe this would get more gun supporter's help in this matter.  Imagine the dreamy possiblity that you discover half of your neighbors have CCW permits.  I'd fee a whole lot better frankly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
"Putting more guns in the hands of civilians does not solve the problem. It just makes all the rest of us possible targets."

One of the quotes left by a poster in the "comments" section for that news article.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Putting more guns in the hands of civilians does not solve the problem. It just makes all the rest of us possible targets."

I agree, and disagree at the same time.  Good points though.

Guns in the hands of certified and trained civilians is better than guns in the hands of non-legally-certfied, non-trained civilians IMHO.

Let's just make sure that law abiding people with proper training and experience and knowledge have guns.  I'm not in favor of anyone who wants a gun should/could have a gun.  I hope this doesn't get me flamed, but there are too many non-qualified people out there with guns that jeopardize us - those people who should have guns.  Please don't flame me.  It just makes sense, right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
niceguymr

No flaming here. I agree with you. Too bad there are some out there with less than adequate training with a sidearm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Shouldnt they be more worried about sex offenders down there anyway?

Priorities.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, and disagree at the same time.  Good points though.

Guns in the hands of certified and trained civilians is better than guns in the hands of non-legally-certfied, non-trained civilians IMHO.

Let's just make sure that law abiding people with proper training and experience and knowledge have guns.  I'm not in favor of anyone who wants a gun should/could have a gun.  I hope this doesn't get me flamed, but there are too many non-qualified people out there with guns that jeopardize us - those people who should have guns.  Please don't flame me.  It just makes sense, right?

All US citizens are automatically qualified for firearm ownership.  Just because it might be a good idea to require training and qualifications in order to own/carry firearms, doesn't make if Constitutional.  Not all good laws are Constitutional, and not all bad laws are unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
For those who may not know, other records that are "public records" & open to the public are your local po-po, teachers & the like. Names, addresses & disciplinary actions, if any, are all available to the public for the asking.

I'm not saying you'll get the records you ask for, but you can ask!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top