Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 9:59:16 PM EDT
Okay, so I know I haven't been posting here often, and I haven't made it to a single MODOCC shoot yet (still waiting for my AR to get shipped...stupid bank, hurry up and clear my check!)...but I have to ask...is there any PUBLIC land to go shoot on?

I'm talking about land where I could drive my Jeep out into the woods/plains and just shoot.

I just got back from a trip to Oregon to visit my parents, and there's a TON of public land up in the mountains that my friends and I just drove out to and hunted coyotes and shot squirrels on...I hadn't done that since high school and I had forgotten how much fun it was.

So, anyone know where to go?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
In a word no... But there is a "Public" Unsupervised Conservation Department range called Pigeon Hill about 45 Minutes north near St Joe... Free to shoot just don't act like an idiot...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
is there a link to Pigeon Hill ? or can someone give me directions from kc? i am a sorry sack of poo my dirt bike has distracted me from shooting for almost 2 years now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
29 north to the Fawcett exit (Farris Truckstop) turn left follow to the "T" intersection turn right follow the road "A" I believe it is, north again, bear right at the "Y" and continue north you will see a sign on the right for Pigeon hill there is a Green house on the corner where they sell ammo and targets in case you forget.... follow that road til you see the sign for Pigeon hill again turn right go past the landfill gate follow the gravel road and follow the signs...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
AFSOC, thanks for the info...oh well
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
No Worries if you get a chance or can make it come out to CMMG on the 10th and enjoy an MODCC shoot much black rifle fun.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
There's another one by Concordia.
About 45 mins from KC also. It's unsupervised also. It's not uncommon to see shaving cream, steel plates, and bags of potatos around there.
It's also not that uncommon for 5 or more people to line up with AR's and AK's, while not observing any sort of "slow fire" rule.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
About 45 mins from KC also. It's unsupervised also. It's not uncommon to see shaving cream, steel plates, and bags of potatos around there.
It's also not that uncommon for 5 or more people to line up with AR's and AK's, while not observing any sort of "slow fire" rule.

That's the one I go to, its on hwy 23.  Exile and I went there yesterday with AKs a-blazing.  Its totally unsupervised.  :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's the one I go to, its on hwy 23.  Exile and I went there yesterday with AKs a-blazing.  Its totally unsupervised.  :)

As long as you don't shoot until after 1 PM right Duke?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you don't shoot until after 1 PM right Duke?

Only if you are in the presence of Ranger Rick and his Tic Tac Dick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
29 north to the Fawcett exit (Farris Truckstop) turn left follow to the "T" intersection turn right follow the road "A" I believe it is, north again, bear right at the "Y" and continue north you will see a sign on the right for Pigeon hill there is a Green house on the corner where they sell ammo and targets in case you forget.... follow that road til you see the sign for Pigeon hill again turn right go past the landfill gate follow the gravel road and follow the signs...

Just a few more details to help out someone who's never been there ---

I-29 north to Exit 35 (Faucett) and turn left at the end of the exit ramp onto DD.
West on DD to "T" intersection.
Right turn onto 371 (heading north).
Bear right at the "Y" and go north on A Hwy (do NOT continue driving on 371).
Right turn onto O Hwy (green colored house at the corner of A and O highways).
East on O Hwy until you see the sign for Pigeon Hill --- then follow AFSOC directions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if I've ever seen you there. I've taken to going to an even more remote place on Hwy 65 outside Marshall in the past year. But before that, it was always Concordia. We would usually hang steel plates at 25, 50, and 100 yards, on the 100 yard side.
Actually, we're thinking about heading out this coming Friday. Would you be up for some weekday action?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet which is better? directions to the concordia one?  i might be up for some friday fun
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
sweet which is better? directions to the concordia one?  i might be up for some friday fun

It depends on the mood.
Concordia gets crowded. The other one might not see another soul besides the the 3 people in my group for the whole day.
I tend to go for the semi seclusion. But that's mainly because I've gotten real tired of the crowd scene, where the "lonely guys" with nothing else to do hang out to have a place to feel included.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wonder if I've ever seen you there. I've taken to going to an even more remote place on Hwy 65 outside Marshall in the past year. But before that, it was always Concordia. We would usually hang steel plates at 25, 50, and 100 yards, on the 100 yard side.
Actually, we're thinking about heading out this coming Friday. Would you be up for some weekday action?

+

Which one is that? And do they have a Pistol backstop also?  

I use the one 3 miles south of Marshall Junction (I-70 & Hwy 65) where they only have a 25 yard and a 50 yard berm. From morning till 3:00 it's often deserted on weekdays.

The Concordia one usually has the pistol range backer torn in two when I Go.  But It's the only 100 yard range close to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

Which one is that? And do they have a Pistol backstop also?  

I use the one 3 miles south of Marshall Junction (I-70 & Hwy 65) where they only have a 25 yard and a 50 yard berm. From morning till 3:00 it's often deserted on weekdays.

The Concordia one usually has the pistol range backer torn in two when I Go.  But It's the only 100 yard range close to me.

Do you know a guy named Roger? He's always there. With the steel plates.
He's one of the guys I shoot with. We used to Concordia all the time, but have kind of taken to the seclusion of Marshall Jct. and the fact that the people who show up there usually like to just join in for a shooting party instead of waiting for the table to open up. It's much more fun to just stay there all day, and not feel like you need to pack up so that the other people can have the lane.

I'm about 50/50 on tomorrow <friday> as the rain seems to be looming.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've informed the other managers at my work that I will not be available tomorrow to perfrom any Friday production miracles for them.
So, unless it's raining to beat the band in the morning, I'm there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Do you know a guy named Roger? He's always there. With the steel plates.
He's one of the guys I shoot with. We used to Concordia all the time, but have kind of taken to the seclusion of Marshall Jct. and the fact that the people who show up there usually like to just join in for a shooting party instead of waiting for the table to open up. It's much more fun to just stay there all day, and not feel like you need to pack up so that the other people can have the lane.

I'm about 50/50 on tomorrow <friday> as the rain seems to be looming.

Yes I have met Roger a Couple times--He's the insanely accurate one with his ruger mark 2.  Unfortunatly I work All day tomorrow so no fun for me, sorry.  I usually go on Wednesdays, as that is my day off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, there's something intimidating about a guy who can toss charcoal briquets up in the air, and turn them into powder with a pistol.

Anyway, I'm not gunna chance it with the rain today. Why waste a vacation day, only to wish you had it back when it's sunny and 50 later this fall.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No Worries if you get a chance or can make it come out to CMMG on the 10th and enjoy an MODCC shoot much black rifle fun.....

I just saw this..

My AR finally arrived, and after I take it to the range this weekend, I plan on making it out to CMMG next weekend

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top