Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 5:58:34 PM EDT
The regulator on my tank is about fifty years old.  Centex Butane says it needs to be replaced.  They want $55 for a new regulator and $55 for a pressure check afterwords.

I called a few other propane companies, and suprise suprise, they are all Centex in the Austin area.  Hmmm....

First, does a regulator wear out, and if so, is $55 a reasonable price?  Second, where can I get one (not from Centex Butane)?  I do not want to blow the additional $55 if at all possible.

Thanks,
-Ngog
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
By "in the Austin area," how close to Austin are we talking about (in miles + general direction)?

If it's close in tight to the Austin area, I can't be of much help.  If it's in a certain direction, and a certain # of miles, my in-laws have a propane shack that might could help you out.

Other than that, I don't know much else about propane or propane accessories.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask "TexRdnec" he is in the propane industry
*side note** he is also part of the beer and gun industry as well!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they say anything about needing an OPD? - over pressure device I believe.

The dealer wouldn't refill when I took my older tank in a few months back.  For the price, I could get a new tank rather than a new valve.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Just remember its propane, know what you are doing or pay someone that does.  Don't want things that go booooom in the night.

FireBlade
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
regulator should cost you $25

pressure check takes minimal if any effort and is just a 5 minute waiting game to see if theres any leaks in the line, it shouldnt cost anything as they're REQUIRED to do one before they can put gas in the tank if its been fucked with

regulators are supposed to be replaced every 5 yrs but they normally last a long damn time...............yes they wear out, they contain springs and internal bladders
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
side note:  if there is a regulator at your tank AND another right before the line goes to your house you're running on a two stage regulation system and the regulators for that are more expensive.  this is done when your tank is far enough away from your house that the pressure drop off of one regulator when it finally reaches your house wouldnt be adequate to run your appliances.

single stage regulators are all brown as they're color coded but if the fucker is 50 yrs old then im guessing that was before the color code system.

two stage regulators are color coded red and green but i can't recall which is which  i believe its red coming off the tank and green into the house
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did they say anything about needing an OPD? - over pressure device I believe.

The dealer wouldn't refill when I took my older tank in a few months back.  For the price, I could get a new tank rather than a new valve.

OPD (overfill protection devices) are for use on all propane BOTTLES up to 40# (10 gal)  they are not used on house tanks.  i know we're talking about a house tank here because nobody is gonna go run a pressure test on your bbq pit!!!!  

another side note:  if you have a propane bottle that has the 'preban' valve and you're told it needs to be replaced..................tell them to go pound sand, that its for cutting torch use.  true story, those new 'improved' pos OPD valves don't put out enough gas to run a cutting torch so they're exempted from the rule

have a nice day and respect God's Gas
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another side note:  if you have a propane bottle that has the 'preban' valve and you're told it needs to be replaced..................tell them to go pound sand, that its for cutting torch use.  true story, those new 'improved' pos OPD valves don't put out enough gas to run a cutting torch so they're exempted from the rule

have a nice day and respect God's Gas hr

Heh Heh Heh!

Now I wont have to use those old bottles for target practice after all. ~Crp
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Does he sell propane and propane accessories?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
TexRdnec,
Thanks for the info, hoping you can give me some more.  I have talked with Sharp/Amerigas/Centex/Ferrell and they all do not sell regulators to peasants.  The $55 + $55 seems to be standard.  Plumbing supply stores also don't want to play.  

Is the $25 you quoted a dealer cost, or does the company you work for sell them for that price?  If so, how can I get one?  (My system is just a simple single stage regulator, which is supposed to be gold if it is a Rego).

I would love to spend $25 + tax, do my own pressure test with soapy water, and spend the savings on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does he sell propane and propane accessories?

Why yes, as a matter of fact he does.........

when he ain't inside playin' on the innernet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TexRdnec,
Thanks for the info, hoping you can give me some more.  I have talked with Sharp/Amerigas/Centex/Ferrell and they all do not sell regulators to peasants.  The $55 + $55 seems to be standard.  Plumbing supply stores also don't want to play.  

Is the $25 you quoted a dealer cost, or does the company you work for sell them for that price?  If so, how can I get one?  (My system is just a simple single stage regulator, which is supposed to be gold if it is a Rego).

I would love to spend $25 + tax, do my own pressure test with soapy water, and spend the savings on ammo.

well, i was wrong on the price of the regulator..............we actually sell them for $50 (rego).  i don't do the billing!!!

buuuuuuut, i can sell you one for $50+$5 shipping, which is what you would have paid anyway, and then you can check the system yourself and save the other ridiculous $55 pressure check charge

all you'd need to do is pull the brass fittings from your old regulator, teflon them into the new regulator, hook the system back up and check it yourself

let me [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]
for your reference:

rego regulator
LV404B96
twin stage regulator
FPOL inlet
3/4 FNPT outlet

this is a regulator for a single regulator system.  and its brown damnit!!!!!!  

edit:  ok, found out what gold regulator is...........classic single stage regulator
brown, which is what i have is a twin stage regulator, they serve the same purpose but the twin stage gives you the benefits of a dual stage regulated system within one regulator

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TexRdnec,

well, i was wrong on the price of the regulator..............we actually sell them for $50 (rego).  i don't do the billing!!!

buuuuuuut, i can sell you one for $50+$5 shipping, which is what you would have paid anyway, and then you can check the system yourself and save the other ridiculous $55 pressure check charge

all you'd need to do is pull the brass fittings from your old regulator, teflon them into the new regulator, hook the system back up and check it yourself

let me know........[email protected]

[homer]Doh![/homer]  Edit that out, Tex.  Replace with: "IM/PM me for email address."  Besides, you wouldn't want requests for materials to get mixed up with all your email pr0n, now, would you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top