Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:48:13 PM EDT

Friend of mine put a FAL L1A1 built on an Imbel reciever in a local gunshop on consignment for $850. Long story short, he changed his mind and told the shop he did NOT want to sell it and would be in to pick it up as soon as he could get away from work long enough to come by. He called twice to verify that the rifle was to be pulled and not sold. He goes in last week(7/11) to pick up the gun and is told by the owner it was sold for $740. Asked the owner why was it sold when he called in x2 to say not to sell it ?? Owner claims an employee who no longer works there is at fault. My buddy asks why then did it sell at a price lower than agreed on ?? Owner claims he doesn't know.

At this point my buddy is wondering what the hell happened, so he asks if the owner could call the guy that bought it and see if something could be worked out to get his rifle back. Owner doesn't want to do that either. Also, even though asked the owner has yet to produce a reciept as to what the rifle actually sold for. My friend didn't take the money, he said he wanted a rifle that was like his because he couldn't replace it at the price the shop had sold his for. He came by the house and we looked up a few on GB like what he had and he took the info to the dealer and asked about getting him one of them.

According to the owner the price difference was $60 and he wasn't going to do that because my buddy's rifle was supposed to have been sold for $740. The replacement rifle was listed at $800. After talking this over with a few other FFLs in the area, the consensus is something isn't right here and he should take the owner to court for a resolution to this. Anybody else here run into this problem ??

ETA; The shop in question is 111 in clarksville, IN.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, don`t know about that one. I`ve had guns on consignment at 111 without a hitch.  Do you know the name of the employee who no longer works there? Did your friend get a receipt when he gave the gun to the shop? He should have gotten one with the agreed upon minimum amount he would get for it. I can`t fault the owner for not handing over the name of the guy who bought it. I know if it were me, I wouldn`t have wanted someone calling me after the purchase. That would be bad business.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree w/ InDude.

Something is totally wrong with that situation. The whole consignment deal should be spelled out and on paper before the item hits the shelf.

He needs to get all of the paperwork/ receipts together and go from there. If its spelled out and it sold for less than the minimum than the shop owner is responsible for what his present or former employees actions caused and should pay up.

Just my $.02,
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
 InDude....... He wanted the owner to call the guy and see if something could be worked out to get his rifle back. My friend is currently looking for the paper on the consignment. The employee was named Brad according to the owner, said " That's one of the reasons he doesn't work here anymore". My friend is still not sure what it actually sold for, only that when he asked for a similar rifle he was told that it was $60 more than what his was sold for (the replacement rifle cost was $800).  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
A consignment contract should have been signed by your buddy with the lowest in pocket price.

He SOL if he just gave them the gun to sell without a contract. The owner still should make it right if he wants to save face $60 is not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I missed it in your post, but did your buddy get a contract? I'm not a lawyer but going to court over $60 might be a waste of your buddy's time. He is going to have to pay court fees and most likely miss some work. Hopefully the 2 sides can come to a resolution.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he needs to take the money he is offered now, and then go after him for the remainder later.  Something does not sound right there, and if this place would go out of business or something he may lose the total amount.  Best of luck...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally will never step foot into 111 Gun Shop. I have a good friend who just opened a new gun shop, and the owner of 111 Gun Shop was quoted in saying about my friend, "I am going to run that fat S.O.B out business". So, those who know who he was talking about, understand why myself and others dont go into 111 Gun Shop.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose there are always satisfied and unsatisfied customers at every business, but I`ve had nothing but good experiences with all the guys at 111 including the owner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
 Dog 1..... I sent you a PM.....I know Brad from Shooter's Supply in Lou. KY. I'm not buying Rob's story either and neither is my buddy. If you get to talk to Brad drop me a line and let me know what his take on this is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
 NAPD Guy..... Don't know your friend, but given my and my friends recent experiences at 111 we won't be going back either. I'm sure I'll meet your buddy one of these days as I try to get to every gunshop in southern IN and Lou. KY.

In Dude ..... if you think this is an isolated incident, check some of the posts at The AK Forum about 111.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
I suppose there are always satisfied and unsatisfied customers at every business, but I`ve had nothing but good experiences with all the guys at 111 including the owner.

Karma is a strange thing
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow nothing but many good deals at 111.  I would like to hear more.

Bob
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I've had nothing but great times at 111 guns. His prices are really cheap. I've gotten at least 7 rifles from him.

Acme sports Prices are higher then hell on most things, nice stuff in store but prices are insane.

I will support 111 until they screw me I suppose.

There is a new gun store in North Vernon, he wasn't stocked yet when I stopped in March 16th, but he seemed like a nice down to earth guy. I'll check him out sometime when I'm over that way again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Rob needs to learn how to interact with customers. I heard first hand of a incident that shows what kind personality Rob has.

After spending nearly a grand at the store, a fellow I know went back with the intention of spending nearly another grand. He was looking for a AK and lots of ammo.

He works for a contractor that works for AT&T. He had been working with his crew, outside and had some caked, but dried mud on his boots.

When he got out of the truck in the parking lot, he knocked most of the mud off of his boots and proceeded to walk in the shop.

Rob stopped him at the door and refused to let him in, because of his boots.

He told Rob that his boot were dirty, but most of the dried on mud had been knocked off and that the rest was just dust and such. Rob told him that he was not allowed to come to the shop in dirty boots, he could take them off and come in or come back in clean boots.

He told Rob to fuck off and went to Kiesler's and spent his money.

While I don't support Kiesler's anymore, I feel that he did the right thing and voted with his wallet.

It shame of what has happened to 111 Gun Shop. I have run out of local shops.

Now my shop is Acme Sports in Seymour.

I would not have a gun shop (or retail store) to go to if every time my feelings were hurt I never went back.  One of my good friends has a shop and I have left pissed.  I have left pissed at Acme, Kieslers, Shooters, KY Imports, pawn shops, Ray's indoor (closed), Danny's Gun Repair, Blue Grass Indoor Range.

I have examples of all.  Some I will not return to because of the severity, but eventually we will run out of shops.  Dealers are a necessary evil, there are less and less.  Just pick the lesser of the evils.

For years I would not go to Kiesler's because of the attitude.  It is getting better and they are trying.  The one shop who is always nice to me is 111.  

There are 2 in that list I will not return to.  Guess which because I will not stir that pot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I will tell you one since Danny has passed.  He let his assistant Duracoat an XD that came from the factory with the option of rusting daily

I returned it at least 4 times and had to drive the 80 miles round trip each time.  Nothing about esthetics, it looked good.  Just had one problem it would not fucking function reliably.  Man I was pissed.  It did not look godd after all of his technical ajustments.

I was yelling in Bluegrass range at Scott, Danny's assistant.  I think one of my quotes were, " you will never touch one of my guns again mother fucker."

A several day job took a couple of months.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes OP sorry for the hijack.  Buckfever PM me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
To solve this issue just go down to 2 Brothers Firearms in New Albany Indiana! They will be more than happy to help you and anyone else out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
....to clear the air, my name is Brad, I am the person in question in this situation.  I will make this short and sweet because I want to clear my name and my reputation.  Rob, the owner of 111 Gunshop sold Denny's rifle.  I spoke to Denny on the phone and he told me that the rifle was no longer for sale.  Rob knew the rifle was not to be sold, but he chose to sell it anyway.  He has decided to blame me because it is easier than to take responsibility for his poor decision.  I would suggest requesting from Rob the invoice to see what the rifle really sold for.  Also, the seller must sign the 4473, I'll bet Rob's name is on there... As for why I left 111 Gunshop, I will assure you that it had nothing to do with this transaction.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#27]
  Just got Brad's e-mail today and passed the info. on to my friend Denny. As I originally posted Rob has refused to show Denny any documentation having to do with the sale of the rifle. Both myself and Denny have done business with Brad when he was at Shooter's Supply in Lou., KY, and none of this sounded like Brad had anything to do with it. The red flags started going up when Rob started to blame Brad and refused to show what the rifle sold for.

UPDATE; Last week Denny called a buddy of Rob's to give him a heads up as to what was going on, and a day later Rob calls Denny to say he has found Denny another FAL built on an Imbel reciever and all that it needs is the flash hider installed to be like the one that was sold. I don't know if Rob finally decided to do the right thing or if maybe he's feeling a little heat over this and wants it to go away. I do know that dumping the blame at Brad's door was complete BS. I guess if anyone still wants to do business with 111 after this it's their perrogative. I know I won't.        
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....to clear the air, my name is Brad, I am the person in question in this situation.  I will make this short and sweet because I want to clear my name and my reputation.  Rob, the owner of 111 Gunshop sold Denny's rifle.  I spoke to Denny on the phone and he told me that the rifle was no longer for sale.  Rob knew the rifle was not to be sold, but he chose to sell it anyway.  He has decided to blame me because it is easier than to take responsibility for his poor decision.  I would suggest requesting from Rob the invoice to see what the rifle really sold for.  Also, the seller must sign the 4473, I'll bet Rob's name is on there... As for why I left 111 Gunshop, I will assure you that it had nothing to do with this transaction.

And the plot thickens....

Got my attention.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Well crap.  I've been gone from southern Indiana for 3 years and it looks like everything went to crap.  Kiesler's was my old hang out and I've done business with them for over 22 years with nothing serious taking place and even bought several items from them since coming to VA.  Then they sold out to Orion and brother, have things changed and not for the better IMO.  I've been back two or three times since and while some of the people are the same, the place has changed too much for my likes.  I had looked forward to visiting 111 because I had heard fairly good things about them from friends back home, but after this?  I think I'll pass.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#31]
It is hit and miss for me at Keislers. I have left and not returned for a year because they do stupid crap like install the incorrect buffer on my LR308. I have been back lately but only to look. It is difficult to find someplace that is ethical and has good prices anymore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#32]
My buddy Denny picked up his replacement FAL from 111 gunshop today. It looks OK, not quite as nice as the one he had but it'll do.

On a side note...... After the paperwork was completed, Denny was told he was banned from 111 guns, and so was I, as well as my wife. Once again, Thanks to all who helped out with this (you know who you are). I don't see my being banned from 111 as being much of a problem considering all the other shops where I'm in good standing.      
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, well, well. This hasn't ended very good at all. Just for the record...56type, you, your wife, and Denny are welcome here at Scott's Hardware anytime. I've had many dealings with you in the past. I don't have any problems with you coming by whenever you want.
Jeff
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow this is increible.  Thanks for letting us know about your experience at that shop.

Maybe they are already out of business?

ingunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/7938-111_gun_shop_in_clarksville.html#post96904

height=8
Quoted:
he will either be out of business or in jail before the year is out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Gunluster ..... Thanks we appreciate it and will probably being seeing ya before too long.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Keislers is a wholesaler, my uncle is the dept sherrif in Salem, they get all their ammo + police stuff wholesale from Keislers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
To solve this issue just go down to 2 Brothers Firearms in New Albany Indiana! They will be more than happy to help you and anyone else out.

I believe it is the same place
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Never had any problems with 111. Had many good dealings with them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#44]
 2 brothers is in 111's old location in New Albany. It's a different shop that doesn't have anything to do with 111.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate to hear this about 111 it was the only "local" shop I would buy from.  Can't afford the shops and crazy prices in Louisville.  

I guess I will stick with Bud's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I hate to hear this about 111 it was the only "local" shop I would buy from.  Can't afford the shops and crazy prices in Louisville.  

I guess I will stick with Bud's.

Well, there you go.  I had a bad experience with a bait and switch at Bud's and they basically said it was my fault for not examining the rifle they sold me before I took it.  Screw Bud's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I have bought pistols, rifles, AR lowers and ammo from Buds with top notch service.  Many times Bud himself has waited on me.  I don't mine driving a little over an hour to shop there.  

Bought a Smith M&P 9mm $369.99.  Louisville shops $489 - $525.
Bought AR Lower $99.00.  Louisville shops $139.
Bought Smith Wesson Sigma $269 and got a rebate - Louisville shops $399.

Outside of Whittakers in Owensboro, I think Buds is the best around.  I guess if he ever pulled one over on me I would think different also, but for now he is A+ in my book.  

We could go on and on about each dealer around has ticked someone off now and then.  

Back on topic, I will be extra careful if I pop in at 111 shop.  I remember when I first found them at the old location it was like old times finding that hole in the wall gun shop that had great prices and were very friendly.  Maybe moving to a larger shop and having more stress of paying the bills turns people to do things they shouldn't in the effort of making a buck.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Not to start a total shit storm......,but I do believe there was/is an affiliation between 111 gunshop and Bud's. If you fellas would ask around you will find that not many dealers will take tranfers from Bud's. He is a total cut throat dealer. Hell, several distributors and manufacturers don't like, or will not deal, with Bud's. I have had several customers come to me with what they would call "false advertising" in reference to Bud's. For instance...Let's just say Bud's website says they have a XYZ 45acp in stock for an unbelievable price of $350.00. This same gun would go for $425.00 anywhere else. You click on the item, and type in all your credit card info. You know that Bud's has your dealer's FFL on file so you should be go to go. WRONG! Bud's, in fact, does not have the XYZ 45acp in stock at all. You go to your credit card's website to find that the charge HAS gone through. I know this has happened for a fact. The guy that tried to purchase the firearm had one hell of a time trying to get the charge reversed. Needless to say the guy ended up buying the same gun from me. I have also had people complain about Bud's shipping and handling charges. By the time you pay his shipping and handling charge, then pay a transfer charge at a dealer, you should have bought the gun from the tranfering dealer to start with. Buying a gun from a dealer isn't really much different from buying a car. You have to haggle a bit. If you fellas are paying full sticker price for stuff you need to think about that. Not all prices can be haggled, but trying never hurts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Welcome to the site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top