Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2003 3:36:17 AM EDT
What do I need to know, from a buyer and seller standpoint?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I gather, it is what you are comfortable with. Of course, age is probably good to verify if it is not obvious, but then it could be a straw purchase anyway.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you the buyer or the seller?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
(Hopefully) the buyer. Just like everyone else here, there's a laundry list of stuff I need/must have/will expire without.

I haven't ever bought or sold with a private owner, and wanted to make sure that everything is copacetic.
-Hobbit

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
How well do you know the seller?

I've bought several firearms from private individuals whom I knew fairly well.  In that case, I just keep a list of what I bought (description and serial number), from whom, on what date and the cost.  I keep that just for my own records.

I've never bought a firearm from a stranger.  Not that I wouldn't, I just haven't had the opportunity.  If I did, I'd get the person's name and document things like I usually do.  This just helps to protect me in the event the firearm comes up stollen or has been used in a crime (not that you'd probably ever know unless it's stolen from you or the police take it from you for some reason).

Does this help at all?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Indeed it does.
I don't know this person at all, but the weapon is publicly posted, which makes me feel a little better about buying from a stranger. [i.e., if you were trying to get rid of a gun quietly, you probably wouldn't advertise.]

So, if you were me, what info would you ask for, and what info would you feel comfortable giving in return?
-Hobbit

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Like I said, I'd want the seller's name, phone number and, if possible, address.  If you pay by check or money order (personally, I wouldn't want a check if I were the seller), make a copy of the payment document.  If by check, keep the returned check for your records.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it.  Private sales happen all the time.  

Let me ask this, are you worried about anything?  Does something about this transaction bother you or not seem right?

BTW, what kind of gun are you buying?  We want pictures!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
While I'm thinking about it, approach this as if you were the seller.  What would you want?  I'd want something in writing stating the buyer is legally able to purchase and own the firearm.

As the seller, I would write up a document, kind of like a bill of sale, and have the buyer sign one copy for you and he gets a copy with my info on it.  I believe chainshaw did this once when selling a firearm to someone he didn't know.  It protects the seller and gives the buyer piece of mind too.

If it makes you feel better, draw up such a document and give it to the seller (which he'll appreciate) and get him to fill out his info for you to keep.  Protects both of you.

Again, I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah two posts in a row...hmmmm...

Anyway, I bought a gun from a local guy off the EE. I met him in the parkig lot of his work(i guess) and made the transaction in cash. He was going to mail me some 'extra' ammo so he has my address. I have his cell number and screen name. I am not worried one bit. If I did get some Spidey senses I might not have gone through with it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
No spidey-sense issues here. The only trepidation that I have is because of inexperience in this type of purchse. Thanks for the good advice on how to go about it.

I cannot divulge any information about the alleged weapon supposedly to be purchased.

..Because I can't take the chance that you vultures would get to it before me, if I decide to buy it.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
QUICK!  Everyone to the EE to find that great deal.  Whomever is selling something, I offer $1.00 more than Hobbit!!  And I won't ask you your name or address.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not Moderator.
It's not Stalkerator.
It's Vulturator.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Masturbator?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Masturbator?

Well, in Moderation.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Lock it before it gets any worse!

/Thinks about a safe place/
/Thinks about a safe place/
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Masturbator?

We have to call him mastur now?!?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Nah, but be careful if you call him "handy" to have around...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top