Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2003 6:03:11 PM EDT
Howdy!
Question.  If we do a private sale here in GA should both seller and buyer have some kind of letter stating the gun serial number and date and time of ownership transfer?
Just wondering that it would be a precaution for both.  But never did it.
Thanks!
Rossi
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I always provide a bill of sale for a weapon I sell even if it is a private sale.  If I'm selling a gun locally, I get a copy of their driver's license (mostly for age verification).
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I was imagining that.  
I'm buying a pistol privately but, as I always bought from stores I had this doubt.

How the Bill of Sale should look like?  Is it a standard document or can be somehting handwritten (with names, serial number, model, date and time) and signed by the seller and buyer?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually just type something to the effect of...

"I do hereby sell my (firearm/serial #) to (buyer) for the sum of (price).

(name of seller)
(address of seller)
(phone number of seller)"
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

(name of seller)
(address of seller)

In the past, I have added "By signing this bill of sale, the purchaser is stating that to the best of their knowledge there are no legal reasons that they could not purchase this weapon." A statement like this could help if there are any liability issues at a later date.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(name of seller)
(address of seller)

In the past, I have added "By signing this bill of sale, the purchaser is stating that to the best of their knowledge there are no legal reasons that they could not purchase this weapon." A statement like this could help if there are any liability issues at a later date.

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it. Thanks!
We made it simple.  Date, both names, signatures, model and serial number.
Now I own a Glock.  Can hardly wait to try it.

Any plans for CE?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]

I would be very reluctant to give a stranger my home address, even though they seemed to be a solid citizen that I didn't mind selling my gun to. Remember that a piece of paper lives forever, and until you move you've made yourself a burglary target.

Even if they're honest, I don't want their ex-con brother in law, doper teenager, or perhaps unsavory casual acquaintance, to have the thought "Hey, this guy you bought it from probably has other guns too. Let's see what he has. When he's not home...". It happens.

Same reason not to have a gun cabinet--if you do, suggest you get rid of it--or tell everyone at work that you own guns, or leave gun magazines lying around to be seen by the carpet cleaner, the furnace repairman, the plumber, or anyone you don't know. Why advertise that your house is number one on the ripoff list?  

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I just had to speak up.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would be very reluctant to give a stranger my home address, even though they seemed to be a solid citizen that I didn't mind selling my gun to. Remember that a piece of paper lives forever, and until you move you've made yourself a burglary target.

Even if they're honest, I don't want their ex-con brother in law, doper teenager, or perhaps unsavory casual acquaintance, to have the thought "Hey, this guy you bought it from probably has other guns too. Let's see what he has. When he's not home...". It happens.

Same reason not to have a gun cabinet--if you do, suggest you get rid of it--or tell everyone at work that you own guns, or leave gun magazines lying around to be seen by the carpet cleaner, the furnace repairman, the plumber, or anyone you don't know. Why advertise that your house is number one on the ripoff list?  

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I just had to speak up.

Agree.  Despite the area here is quite safe and we do not have register of burglary or similar stuff it's never bad to be cautious.

Actually, the only reason for me to get a "transfer paper" is that a buyer does not know what/how the gun was used for (crime?) and the seller does not know what/how the gun will be used for (crime?).  As you pointed out, the buyer and seller can be very honest, but maight have a brother, son, father, friends, etc...

Cheers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top