Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 4:56:31 AM EDT
I just overheard some dipshit talking about something he probably knows nothing about but I figured I would ceck the facts on here. Not sure where to start looking on Google for something like this.

He said that, if you really wanted to get a carry permit in MD, youcould pay $100 and "become" a P.I.

I don't know anything about it but just from the sound of it I would have to raise the flag...

Otherwise this whole Hometown Forum would be filled with private dicks...

Anyone ever heard of this before?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it's true this forum is full of dicks.
It is going to cost more than $100 dollars and a few years to become a private detecive in MD.

First of IIRC you need to work for some one that has a private detecives lic. for a few years as a det. under their license.  

Plus there is the cost factore a CCW in MD cost about $150 if I recall.  Then there is the qualifing course you need to rake from some one in MD that is a Lic. Fire Arms Instructore $50 - $100 depending on the person.

Then there is the fee for the card the proves your a Dick.  Thats a few bucks do not remember what it is of hand.

Then after you pay the state all that money they can turn you down.

But the fun part is the wait that can be up to 6 months

Forgive the spelling I just woke up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It is going to cost more than $100 dollars and a few years to become a private detecive in MD.
First of IIRC you need to work for some one that has a private detecives lic. for a few years as a det. under their license.  
Plus there is the cost factore a CCW in MD cost about $150 if I recall.  Then there is the qualifing course you need to rake from some one in MD that is a Lic. Fire Arms Instructore $50 - $100 depending on the person.
Then there is the fee for the card the proves your a Dick.  Thats a few bucks do not remember what it is of hand.
Then after you pay the state all that money they can turn you down.
But the fun part is the wait that can be up to 6 months

Thank B... I figured it was just another non-gun person talking about shit they know nothing about. Him and about 8 million others... The only light at the end of that tunnel is that when the zombie plague hits, they'll all be the ones getting eaten and turned into zombies/targets... karma at it's finest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
In MD even if you could get it, they would probably restrict it to when you were on the job as a PI, so unless you were really doing it, it wouldn't help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I looked into this issue about 2 years ago and there were so many darn clauses it wasn't funny!!! I do know you have to "apprentice" with a licensed PI for some time, a load of crap.  What I heard from a MD Sheriff's Deputy buddy of mine, the reason the CCW is so hard to obtain in MD is the retired Cops, primarily the State Troopers, only want their own to be able to carry.  IF, and I say IF you did get a CCW here in the People's Rep. of MD, it would be restricted to work only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know I looked into this issue about 2 years ago and there were so many darn clauses it wasn't funny!!!have

I am also a MD. sheriff's deputy and even though I've never heard any troopers say that, I wouldn't doubt it. It shouldn't be an issue since all police working/retired  in the U.S. are allowed to carry concealed.  Until this new law came out, I wasn't even allowed to carry concealed in my home state.  For a "private" citizen, its next to impossible to get a CCW, unless you carry large sums of money for a business and make bank deposits. For what its worth I think it sucks! If more honest citizens were able to carry concealed I wouldn't have to deal with as many turds. This is why I'm a one issue voter - PRO-GUN!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
What we Marylander's need to do is start pressuring Bob Erhlich to keep his promise to us and get rid of some of our draconian gun laws.  I heard the new head of the State Police is pro-gun, so mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe, juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe they will lighten up.  I was going to apply for my CCW a few years back for Bail Enforcement but was told the app would get rejected the first time around, so they can get a re-application fee!!!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
At this point I can wait until I move out of PRM... I'm here only as long as necessary and not a minute longer. I should probably advise any.mil/.gov people that if they PCS move to MD and have any plans of getting out while stationed there they should seriously consider other options... Coming into MD i had no idea it was this jackd up. I pretty much moved here for my wife and because the unit I would be transferring to was deploying and that's all I wanted to do for about 9/10 of the time i wa in was deploy... well, I got what I wanted but the payoff was that I'm now stuck here.

What I think is funny is how "we the people" manage to work every loophole in the gun laws that we can (the AWB bein a perfect example of leaning how to adapt to the wording of the law). I have been told you have ot have a threat against your life ot be considered for a CCW. Well, last time I heard every citizn in this country has a death threat on them from the graduates of the University of Bin Laden.

On top of that I'm not aure I understand how LEO can justify off-duty carry but .mil can't justify any kind of carry, even though they technically protect the protectors!! WTF? No respect, I tell ya.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you have to have 3 documented threats against your life, and then they can STILL deny your carry permit!!!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think you have to have 3 documented threats against your life, and then they can STILL deny your carry permit!!!  

Yup its three and documented by the police.  And some begger on the street you refused to give money to don't count.  Getting one is a PITA of biblical praportions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Elitism at it's finest... any group who can separate themselves from "the common man" will do it an keep a tight hold on that which makes them "special".

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your 100% right!

Here is what happened to me:

I had the MD States Attorney and twoFBI agents vouching for me to get one and plenty of Federal and state court records stating there was a dire need that I obtaion a CHL in my home state and I was denied.

I carried a concealed handgun anyhow even though it was illegal to do so. I really had no choice.

Screw Maryland. I am sooooo happy I left.

Ok... you've iqued my curiosity.... what was the dire need to carry? Who did you piss off that bad that would make you carry illegally?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Denver's "Make My Day Law"  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I was out in Denver in Feb 2001 visting a bro of mine who is a Gang Officer with Denver PD.  He told me the "make my day" law basically gives you the right to shoot someone who has broken into your house even if they are fleeing.  
    Now when I was stationed in Wyoming, you could carry a loaded pistol on your person as long as it was in plain view!    I'd get some strange looks when I'd come in from a day in the hills with my .45 strapped on my hip!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top