Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/23/2007 1:06:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2007 1:14:39 PM EST by BeetleBailey]
So, I ended up having time to kill after (attempting to) take care of my wife's car Saturday. It was interesting, and fun. Here are just a few pics of some of the things touched on, only with my cell though as it was last minute and I was completely unprepared. (but hey, that was the purpose of the class, right? )

Pine trees are a source of energy, especially past the bark. But, the bark too can be eaten for nourishment in worse case scenario.

These wild grape vines are a good source of water from the center, plus they put out grapes usually at the very top in the trees.

Going over some various plants, some you can eat, some that will kill you, some that act as peptol bismol, some that you can make tea out of, etc.

spears

shelter building

fire making

uses for trash. The Coke can oven, and these plastic bags which were tied to tree leaves and used to collect the moisture off of photosynthesis processes.

Main points to consider - water, shelter/fire, and food are your main priorities if lost or in the wilderness.

He recommended some books too, in particular:
book 1
book 2
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:20:19 PM EST
where was this class given and will it happen again?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 6:07:20 AM EST
Thanks for sharing. I would have like to attend but I had to work.

Do they have a website?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 6:18:41 AM EST

They said they were not sure when they would do it again, but that they probably would. Their website is ruffnermountain.org I think. I think Beerslayer got the info for their upcoming events from the newspaper events section though, as I could not find the course listed anywhere on the site prior to Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 6:22:55 AM EST
Beetle,

thanks for sharing the pictures. What's up with your avatar?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:01:24 AM EST
I live in Mississippi. If I get lost in the woods, I'll just walk a few hundred yards to the nearest Walmart.

Seriously, though; that looks like a cool class.
Top Top