Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 4:31:43 PM EDT
Any place in South Jersey to buy these.
Found a OK price on Titegroup powder per pound=$18.13 with tax.
Just wondering about primers.
I would rather use the Hazmat charge towards other supplies
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
All i have to say is, im amazed on how much primers went up in price the past 10 years
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All i have to say is, im amazed on how much primers went up in price the past 10 years
New to reloading ,what were you paying 10 years ago?
I can only imagine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Butch's in Vineland NJ where the sales tax is only 3.5%
Miller's in New Castle DE where there is no sales tax, but you'll pay a $3 bridge toll

Both usually have an okay supply of primers by the thousand and powder by the pound.
For larger quantities (and much better prices) get together with someone at the range and place an order with Powder Valley dot com.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
New to reloading ,what were you paying 10 years ago?
I can only imagine.

10-12 years ago I was paying $52.00 per a case of 5000. Today I'm paying $25.00 a 1000.

If you can wait and have the time the Valley Forge show is the weekend of the 20th. T&T Reloading is normally there and their prices are fair.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Both me and my father have been buying our stuff from T&T Reloading for 15 years. If you need reloading supplies, this is the guy to go to. Particularly powder, they have always had powders listed almost half off the price you would see on store shelves
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
$1.60 a hundred, $16 a 1000, last time I bought primers form butch I had to twist his arm to sell me 5K, he was running low.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Both me and my father have been buying our stuff from T&T Reloading for 15 years. If you need reloading supplies, this is the guy to go to. Particularly powder, they have always had powders listed almost half off the price you would see on store shelves

For years (before working in a gunshop) I bought supplies from T&T at the Syracuse Gunshow, occasionally I still buy from them because they HAVE IT IN STOCK.  
I suppose a HAZMAT tag is ~$25. now....gotta buy a lot to absorbe the aditional cost.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like Butch's has the fairest prices,forgot about the
3.5% sales tax.$17.55 per pound and a 20 minute drive.

T&T internet prices are 2 to 3 bucks higher.Don't know if their face to
face price would be cheaper.

Still might have to check out the VF show.
I know if I go I'll be spending some $.
Must stay away....

thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an assortment of about 30K primers, I did some $16 a thousand purchases. hey are my weak spot I have enough of the other for about 40K rounds or more
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn! you be having some primers
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
E, What caliber are you reloading?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
E, What caliber are you reloading?

Hey,
once I get set up,I'll be doing 9mm and 45ACP.

Definitely the 45
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been using powdervallyinc.com(don't forget the "inc."). They will combine primers and powder on one $20 hazmat. I know this because it has been 11 hours since my last half grand purchase. With cast bullets Titegroup smokes visably more than 231 or Win. WST. For a while top NRA action shooters were using Titegroup(with jacketed), so it must be clean or something. I use it because it was $91/8lbs. Now its still a bargin at $96.50/8lbs. Most all other pistol powders are $20 more/8lbs. But I'm addicted to reloading so to save money I even cast my bullets, which brings me back to the smoke, I will be spending that extra $20 to clear the air. Training with a light in the dark doesn't work with that smoke in front of you.
Primers: I just used 5k Wolf small pistol primers with good results, so 10k are on the way. P-valley has them at $90/5k.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard good and bad about Titegroup.
Some say it's like shooting a musket and others say it's
clean as heck.
It seems the internet waters have become so muddy you can't make
heads or tails out of it.

I'll be shooting ball to start out with.
Much easier for a new reloader like me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
clean as heck.

Not would I would advise if reloading 9mm and .45 ACP. I'd start out with Unique since your a first timer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
clean as heck.

Not would I would advise if reloading 9mm and .45 ACP. I'd start out with Unique since your a first timer.

Ok,I'll bite.How come?
I see it's a little cheaper.
Do you think the faster burn rate would be dangerous for
a new reloader?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
No that won't be a problem at all. What I was thinking was more along the lines of a accidential double charge.

My favorite load for 230 gr. RN FMJ .45ACP is 6.0 grains of Unique. It fills the case just a bit higher then 50% so a double charge would be quite noticable.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No that won't be a problem at all. What I was thinking was more along the lines of a accidential double charge.

My favorite load for 230 gr. RN FMJ .45ACP is 6.0 grains of Unique. It fills the case just a bit higher then 50% so a double charge would be quite noticable.

I've heard about that on this site a few times.
I'm glad you guys are beating this into my head.
I will have to watch throwing charges very carefully.

thanks man
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, all it takes is one double charged cartridge and it's a disaster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
No disrepect to LUGERMAN, but I would pass on the unique. It is definetly a dirty powder. Titegroup with jacketed bullets is very clean. So are others, but unique is a flake powder and some of the residue is chunks. 231 is a good all around powder also. Concerning double charging, just buy a Dillon reloader, you have to really F-up to double charge a case. Thinking about buying a reloader other than a Dillon is like picking a democrat-DON'T- just buy the No BS lifetime warranty Dillon.
B-gup you said you have heard it both ways about the Titegroup, it must be good because like I said for a while it was the hot set up that the top NRA(Bianchi Cup) shooters used, and they are the ultimate gamers, $5k for a pistol is the price of admission to the top 30 and they will use what works best during their 20k rounds a year practicing and competing, price is irrelavent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I use Unique and it isn't too dirty, Bulleye is dirty. I reload .357, .45, colt and acp, 9mm, I am starting to reload rifle after I finish the armory. I am glad I stashed over 5K in .223 bullets. one day I wil be able to inventory
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No disrepect to LUGERMAN, but I would pass on the unique. It is definetly a dirty powder. Titegroup with jacketed bullets is very clean. So are others, but unique is a flake powder and some of the residue is chunks. 231 is a good all around powder also. Concerning double charging, just buy a Dillon reloader, you have to really F-up to double charge a case. Thinking about buying a reloader other than a Dillon is like picking a democrat-DON'T- just buy the No BS lifetime warranty Dillon.
B-gup you said you have heard it both ways about the Titegroup, it must be good because like I said for a while it was the hot set up that the top NRA(Bianchi Cup) shooters used, and they are the ultimate gamers, $5k for a pistol is the price of admission to the top 30 and they will use what works best during their 20k rounds a year practicing and competing, price is irrelavent.

No disrespect taken. I recommended Unique to Blackguppy as he is using a RCBS Rockchucker and is new to reloading. The chances of a double charge is highy unlikely due to the mass of the flake powder.

The Dillion press is a fantastic choice IMHO but not to a new reloader with zero experience. I personally feel it's something to work up into after some reloading time.

I also don't think Unique is any dirter than any other powder. I use Titegroup, Unique, Bullseye, Blue Dot, Power Pistol and Trail Boss as well as others for handgun ammo.

Clean or dirty, I clean my pistols after firing one round or 300. Makes no difference to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I started with bullseye, it was ok, only dirty, I then went to unique...after the first pound I bought 3-4 lb kegs....I think I paid $45 each for them
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I started with bullseye, it was ok, only dirty, I then went to unique...after the first pound I bought 3-4 lb kegs....I think I paid $45 each for them

Unique is my go to powder for everything from .380 to .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#25]
damn  I need to reload .380, forgot about the PPK I Am getting
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
damn  I need to reload .380, forgot about the PPK I Am getting

Don't bother with lead if your reloading for a PPK. Mine jammed with every other round. Stick to 95 grain RN FMJ.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#27]
ok thanks, I also have 1500 virgin 7.62x39 IMI brass
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
ok thanks, I also have 1500 virgin 7.62x39 IMI brass

Nice. I have about the same amount I loaded with  H335. 28 grains using a .311 150 grain bullet.

The only problem is I only get 4 reloads out of the brass before the necks split.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#29]
that does suck, I thought the AK would be rough on brass, it is a People's rifle to be sure
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
that does suck, I thought the AK would be rough on brass, it is a People's rifle to be sure

Yes and 7.62 X39mm IMI brass isn't cheap as you well know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
LOl it was when I got it was even on sale, must be 7to 8 years ago I went crazy at wideners with IMI bras, losts of .357 also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#32]
How does Titegroup meter with a powder measure?
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:43:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

With my RCBS, perfectly just like Unique does.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With my RCBS, perfectly just like Unique does.

great,thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#35]
It goes through my RCBS real nice, powder is very consistat weight.  I need my shop finished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top