Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:36:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:45:01 AM EDT by arizsig]
Check this link for directions to the range: YRL Directions. There are small, white IPSC shaped targets on the side of the highway where you turn. They are small and close to the ground so look for the right mile marker, then pay attention so you don't miss them.

The link also has contact info for the match directors.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:37:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:14:27 PM EDT
The turn and SMALL target at the side of the road is 2 miles past the cattle guard after you pass through Wilhoit. Just don`t blink going trough Wilhoit or you will miss everything, See you there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:47:18 PM EDT
Bring lots of ammo.... A few months ago the match was 11 stages long. That was a little unusual, but sometimes they do go nuts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:41:51 AM EDT
They had a pretty good turnout yesterday -- something like 35 people. A total of 9 stages. 5 pistol stages and 4 multigun/rifle/shotgun.

Beautiful weather, too. I think it maxed out at about 85 degrees, with a slight breeze (depending on where you were on the range).

I won the CQB rifle stage. What a blast. I think they scored pistol stage 3 wrong, since I *did* hit all the targets, but no big deal.

For those who have not done this particular match, you should give it a try. It's a lot of shooting without a lot of waiting on stages.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:58:19 AM EDT
Perhaps a bit off topic, but what's a good way to get going in 3 gun here in AZ?

I've spent the last few months running 200-400 rounds a weekend through my pistol trying to get some basic proficency down before I try one of the matches, and while I still suck, I figure at some point you just have to jump in and give it a try.

Who runs some 3 guns here in AZ? Do you have to shoot all 3 types or can you just shoot rifle/pistol and skip the shotgun course? I've heard through the grapevine that these are very friendly toward new folks wanting to get started, just curious about a few things.

What is required as far as gear/equipment/ammo?
How long do they normally run?
Is there a "newb" division for folks shooting a pretty much stock AR and stock glock?

Much obliged,

Pete
aka AzDak

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 2:51:44 PM EDT by MP5_guy]
Pete,

Just jump on in. You'll find most match directors are very supportive of new shooters. They usually want to pair you up with one of the more experienced competitors to help guide you through the match, and you'll find a few of us here in the AZ HTF that I'm sure would be willing to volunteer for that.

Cav Arms has started doing a class on Friday eveings before the 2nd Saturday rifle/shotgun match at Rio Salado that is a good place to go to get an understanding of the rules, range commands, gear, etc. If you can't make it to that, you can still show up at the match and someone will help you out.

There isn't a "newb" division. It's all determined by the gear you use. A stock AR and a Glock will put you in Tactical Division. Add a scope to the AR and you're in Tactical Scoped. Since many of the club matches actually are 2-gun (rifle/shotgun), you may want to at least borrow a shotgun if you don't have one.

Rifle ammo: nothing with a steel penetrator, no tracer. Basically, use ball ammo.
Shotgun ammo: birdshot for plates and clay birds, rifled slugs on paper (most people use reduced recoil slugs)
Pistol ammo: The big issue here is the power factor. Basically, it is bullet weight * velocity / 1000. 165 is major, below 165 is minor. They are scored differently.

For rifle & pistol you will need some way to carry a couple of mags. With a shotgun, some people just dump shells in a pocket, others use a bandolier. A good, safe holster is needed for the pistol. No crossdraw or shoulder holsters.

Clubs running multigun matches:

Rio Salado
South Mountain
YRL (Prescott)
Cactus Match League (Ben Avery)
Pima Pistol Club, Tucson (on months with a 5th Sunday)

You can figure on completing the Rio and South Mountain matches in 3-4 hours. The others take longer because they are 3-gun matches and have a few more pistol stages.

Probably the most "user friendly" would be the rifle/shotgun match at Rio Salado on 2nd Saturdays. There are no transitions on stages (going from one firearms to another -- they are 1-gun stages), which makes things easier for new competitors. Also, on Tuesday they have their Tuesday night steel match, which is pistol only. That's a great one to get into the practical shooting game because of its simplified (but very fun) format.

I think I covered your questions...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:21:02 AM EDT
That you did! Thanks for the great breakdown on what to be looking for. I've got an e-mail out to them regarding the 9/9 class, hopefully they still have a spot open.

The wife's gone this weekend, so it's time to go get some more range time in.... :)

Top Top