Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 9:57:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 10:00:44 PM EDT by larrycwdc]
In a message here, a member of SIGForum identified the existence of a good treatise on a "self defense" strategy targeted at lawyers defending a good guy charged with shooting a bad guy. While specifically applicable to the criminal code of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, this version (of an earlier document) has been enhanced to be generally applicable within most of the United States. The author, a practicing attorney in Massachusetts, acknowledges the contributions of "Masaad Ayoob, Lyn Bates, and a number of other self-defense instructors and writers" in the preparation of this later version of the document.

While the tenets justifying the application of deadly force are different here in Virginia, it seems prudent to understand the elements of a successful defense prior to using deadly force. And if one is carrying a firearm -- concealed or open, with or without a CHP -- the application of deadly force is a distinct possibility. The document, Defending the Self-defense Case by Lisa J. Steele, can be directly accessed here.

Ms. Steele's discussion about training, and the benefits that training yields (beyond prevaliing in a gun fight) in defending one's actions, underscore well the "Virginias" Neighborhood's emphasis on training. While the focus of the comments here about training -- whether at Blackwater with their operators, at Quantico with distinguished guest instructors, or at local facilities (e.g., Quantico Shooting Club, Shooter's Paradise, the NRA, among many others) with their resident instructors -- is often about how fun it is, such courses assure one's survival during the 15 or 30 seconds that pass during a fight, as well as the weeks and months thereafter, as the good guy's actions are considered under a loupe by what could turn out to be a bunch of Monday-morning quarterbacks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:47:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:22:15 AM EDT
I used to live in MA and chatted with Darius Arbabi at a match one time, and know some of his clients. I have owned for years, and periodically review, Andrew Branca's book - which is basically an annotated and fleshed out version of the LFI-I course outline for the legal portion (which I know, because I took LFI-I right before I bought his book, and because he basically say so).

There are some things that don't apply to folks in Virginia, but overall, both Branca's book and those links posted in the other thread are worth reviewing.

Top Top