Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 11:49:00 AM EDT
Anyone else do any predator hunting? I live in the lehigh Valley and predator hunt in NJ where my family lives, does anyone know if you're able to hunt at night on state game lands in PA? I'm trying to look into that currently..

Anyways, if anyone is local and interested in tagging along I have a spare NV setup as a lender.

PM me if you have any questions about tagging along or recommendations to land in PA, we can exchange numbers and go from there, doesn't hurt to meet new people that are like minded
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Fox from Saturday night

Coyote from 2 weeks ago - 38lb female

Last years coyote  - 48lb male

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking from my position of zero authority on the subject, I can say I always assumed it was fine to hunt at night on SGLs for anything you're allowed to hunt at night. Might check the PGC website and just see if the SGL you have in mind has any restrictions.

That said I think you'd want to have your ducks in a row rules-wise when hunting on SGLs, especially at night. The night vision thing in PA is pretty new and it seems like there's still some gray areas. I called my local PGC field office a few weeks ago to ask about IR lasers and illuminators now that NV is good to go, and I did not get straight answers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking from my position of zero authority on the subject, I can say I always assumed it was fine to hunt at night on SGLs for anything you're allowed to hunt at night. Might check the PGC website and just see if the SGL you have in mind has any restrictions.

That said I think you'd want to have your ducks in a row rules-wise when hunting on SGLs, especially at night. The night vision thing in PA is pretty new and it seems like there's still some gray areas. I called my local PGC field office a few weeks ago to ask about IR lasers and illuminators now that NV is good to go, and I did not get straight answers.
View Quote

What made you call and ask about lasers and illuminators? Did you read something that led you to believe they're a no go?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, so here's why I asked (and please let me know if you know something I don't, that could easily be the case).

The amendment was to the "Permitted Devices" code. They added this line:

(11) Electronic hand-held and firearm-mounted night-vision and infrared
optics used solely for furbearer hunting.
View Quote

Revised Rule

So they mention NV and IR optics.

But in the same section, 141.18 Permitted devices, there's this:

(6)  Electronic rangefinders, including hand-held devices and those contained within a scope or archery sight. This authorization may not be construed to permit a device that emits a light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle beam or other beam that is visible outside of the device or on the target.
View Quote

PA Code 141.18

The important part is in red. Now why that's lumped into a line about range finders, I don't know. But it strikes me that they approved night vision but maybe didn't address some common accessories used with night vision. When I called asking about that, I didn't really get a straight answer, the guy kind of implied maybe in the future they would change that. But, maybe it's already OK, I'm not a lawyer. I mean you're allowed to use a weapon light, and that's a "light beam visible outside of the device or on the target".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand you questioning it, sort of a gray area

You hunt any state game lands in particular? Like my OP said, I hunt exclusively in NJ but am trying to find a spot around me (Hellertown) or within maybe an hour drive that I can try out.

To be honest I'm just using this as a reason to get together and make some new friends, times like these its good to have like minded people in your circle
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking about getting into predator hunting.  Looks like I'm pretty close to you as well.  PM sent
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I understand you questioning it, sort of a gray area

You hunt any state game lands in particular? Like my OP said, I hunt exclusively in NJ but am trying to find a spot around me (Hellertown) or within maybe an hour drive that I can try out.

To be honest I'm just using this as a reason to get together and make some new friends, times like these its good to have like minded people in your circle
View Quote

Never went predator hunting on SGLs. I've gone small game hunting on SGLs some over the years, but not much. Never have any luck there. I mostly hunt private property.

I'm on the opposite side of the state from you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You can hunt reading area water authority land around lake ountalaunee. Great hunting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can hunt reading area water authority land around lake ountalaunee. Great hunting.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight

I don’t have a caller or lights/nightvision/thermal otherwise I’d join ya.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don’t have a caller or lights/nightvision/thermal otherwise I’d join ya.
View Quote

Same here, just a short drive north of ya on 2 highways.

There's some state game land along the border Northampton and Monroe county. It's mostly mountain, not sure how that would work for predators, but I do know of some fields at the base of the mountain more eastward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top