Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:09:16 AM EDT
So, I have been thinking about getting a pre ban gen 2 G17 as a new host.  My concern is this, I already have a Gen 4 17.  Now if I purchase a threaded barrel for the pre ban (which it will strictly be installed in). Can I get sent to the clink because the TB is also compatable with my gen 4?

You know where I'm going with this....  The whole "parts to assemble an AW deal".  Glad I thought about this issue before I landed a Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:35:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 6:36:40 AM EDT by sbhaven]
We've beaten this question to death in the past. There is a technical reading of the law and then there's common sense. Common sense would seem to indicate that if the threaded barrel is always installed/mounted in the preban then it shouldn't be an issue. Its when you remove that threaded barrel (probably other than for cleaning) and put the original (or other) barrel back into the preban so you have the threaded barrel as a spare where it could be a possible illegal issue. If you sell that preban but keep the threaded barrel and don't have another preban that the threaded barrel could fit into then you would technically be violating the law.

A technical reading of the law would appear, depending on your interpretation of it, to indicate that just having a threaded barrel that is capable of being installed into a post 9/13/94 handgun would be illegal.

Most will probably say don't worry about it so long as you have the preban handgun in your possession.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:01:48 AM EDT
If it is installed in a pre-ban handgun then you are good.

Where it could get murky is if you have the barrel but it is not installed or you own the barrel but do not own a pre-ban gun to fit it. This assumes that you have somehow invited "the man" into your life and has looked over your collection.

I can't see how this is much of a worry if you are a regular upstanding member of society. Arrests for this stuff alone does not happen. These are used for add-on charges after a much more severe crime has been perpetrated.

I am going to be in the same boat soon as I am looking for a pre-ban 1911 to install a threaded barrel. I also own new 1911.
Top Top