Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2013 10:48:09 AM EDT
A friend and I are looking for a place to hunt prairie dogs sometime next year. We both have limited budgets, he is a disabled vet, and we are looking for ranches that need help in reducing populations, rather than an expensive hunt. We hope to camp and would be very respectful of the land, and and the landowner's wishes. If anyone here could give us tips on who to contact, and what areas have the best chances for us to get permission from landowners would be very much appreciated.

ETA We would be driving out from Ohio, and are not sure of the best times of the year to hunt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Spring and early summer in my area. By August they start to get scarce.  You need to find some public BLM land and go exploring. Ranches make a bit of extra cash leasing out spots to hunt. Might want to look at SD areas also.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I hunted them in SD with a .22 35 years ago when I was there in the Air Force. I have been reading that many areas were poisoned out in SD, and the hunting is not so good there anymore.  W have been getting in some ground hog hinting, and shooting golf balls at 200 yds, but we wanted to try our hand at prairie dogs, the golf balls get boring after a while.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spring and early summer in my area. By August they start to get scarce.  You need to find some public BLM land and go exploring. Ranches make a bit of extra cash leasing out spots to hunt. Might want to look at SD areas also.
View Quote

Yup, catch them early in the season. A second reason is that if you're hunting ranch land, you want to be out there before the owner starts irrigating alfalfa pastures. The ground is much easier to walk and drive on and there are many, many fewer mosquitoes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top