Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 3:56:11 AM EST
I posted this in the Gen Forum but no one answered it..

Im looking to get a group of friends together to go Prairie Dog hunting in either Nebraska or South Dakota. Maybe some of you can answer some questions I have:

-When is the best time of the year to hunt prairie poodles?

-How easy is it to find a farmer/rancher who will let you hunt for free/minimal cost? And do you know of any.

-What else should I know before/while I plan this trip?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:10:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 10:12:44 AM EST by meltdown]
It WAS answered in GD. I posted on it at least twice.

1- spring and summer.
2a - easy - use that GFP map and knock on doors 2b- Kinda like good fishing spots (I ain't telling )
3- bring at least 1000 rds per day and two rifles. A good rangefinder is nice. Rattlesnakes love dog towns

-edited - Ya shoot prairie dogs. Ya hunt deer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:58:46 AM EST
Meltdown/Mr phelps:

I moved to Brooking SD this summer. Any of you going to shoot prairie dogs around here?

I am interested in learning how and where to do it. I picked up my license for hunting pheasant last week and am interested in hunting/shooting opportunities.

Thanks,

Blair Collins
Brookings, SD
605-697-5592 (h)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:31:15 AM EST
IM Sent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:54:04 PM EST
I've been PDoggin in South Dakota since I killed all the Jack Rabbits in the early 80's

My favorite time to do it is the last week of June. It beats the 4th of July PDoggers by a few days and it's a degree or two cooler than mid July.

I don't do West River, to many PDoggers and the West river reservations see ya comming with their $100+ rez license.

I only hunt the Crow Creek Rez and the surrounding area.

Check into the Dew Drop Inn at Miller and start asking around. You'll find more PDogs than you can shoot. Stick with the ones you can shoot for free. Down by the Wind Mills north of Crow Creek is getting over run with PDogs again and I would like to see someone thin out that area so they don't poison then. You can tip the farmer/ranchers if you like.. some will take the money.. some will get pissed off.. so.. be careful tossing money around..

Hunting has always been a solitary thing with me... try it alone.. take a cell phone
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:59:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
I've been PDoggin in South Dakota since I killed all the Jack Rabbits in the early 80's

Finally, I know who to blame
I've only seen maybe a dozen jacks the last two years. They sure are fun to shoot (at).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:46:30 AM EST
Blame PETA, the coyotes killed the rabbits in SD, MT and ND.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:29:36 AM EST
i ave been wanting to go shooting varmints also, but never have made the trip

road trip anyone?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:16:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By D348:
Blame PETA, the coyotes killed the rabbits in SD, MT and ND.

Do you mean it wasn't me?????

After all these years of guilt....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:49:13 AM EST
Rest easy now.
Top Top