Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:55:54 AM EDT
About to retire from the Navy down in Hampton Roads, have an amazing job offer in Richmond.  Having spend very little time there, I have no idea where to look to buy a home.

I have a 9 year old and a 5 year old, so schools are important.  Looking in the 300-400K range, but might be able to go a bit higher for the right house.

HELP!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Midlothian is a great area IMO. Close to 288 and powhite. Where I live it takes about 15-20 to get into the city. You have a couple public high schools and a good private school in the area. Can buy a decent 4 bed room house probably for 200-250k.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the Midlothian area. We moved up here from Hampton back in August and love it. IMO there's less traffic than the Hampton Roads. Our house is close to the Powhite Pkwy, short drive to the downtown Richmond, close to 288 and convenient to the mall, Wal-Mart, Lowes, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, etc.

So far after being here 6 mos. my only complaints are the lack of decent radio stations and I have a farther drive to go shooting.

I think there's plenty of new construction around Charter Colony Rd and Woolridge Rd in Midlothian if you're looking for a new house. Also check around the Lucks Lane area also (That's if you want to check out the Midlothian area)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Good radio stations are 96.5/96.9 for classic rock 95.3 for country.

Where are you in Midlothian? I am smack dab in the middle of 76/288 right off of lucks lane.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Me too!  I'm off Lucks Ln also. When we were house shopping I had remembered the area because my old college buddies grew up in Midlothian and had recently purchased homes off Lucks Ln and they always spoke highly of the area. Plus the housing market this past summer in Midlothian wasn't as competitive as the West End area (Broad St., Glen Allen, Short Pump) where people were out bidding each other for IMO were very overpriced homes.

Thanks for the heads up on the raido stations, I'll check them out. I've been listening to a lot of CDs and NPR lately.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like we could have quite the arfcom presence off of lucks lane, and it's not even too big of a road!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Another Midlo 76/288 brother here.  I moved into the area 7 years ago from Metro DC.  Yes the radio stations suck compared to DC (XM for me) but the schools are good, the housing is fairly priced, and my wife doesn't have any problem finding places to shop and spend money.  I really was skeptical about the Richmond area at first, but after a few years I really feel part of the community which I never did in DC/NOVA.

Good luck, I'd take your time looking around on the southside, there are alot of new subdivisions going in and you really have more to choose from then I believe you could ever look at.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another Midlo 76/288 brother here.  I moved into the area 7 years ago from Metro DC.  Yes the radio stations suck compared to DC (XM for me) but the schools are good, the housing is fairly priced, and my wife doesn't have any problem finding places to shop and spend money.  I really was skeptical about the Richmond area at first, but after a few years I really feel part of the community which I never did in DC/NOVA.

Good luck, I'd take your time looking around on the southside, there are alot of new subdivisions going in and you really have more to choose from then I believe you could ever look at.

Steve

Well if the SHTF in this area i think we'll be good to go
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Chester is another good area. Good schools and less traffic than the Midlothian area. You will also get more house for your money.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Basically, NOT henrico or the city. Both have horrible attitudes towards gun laws. Chesterfield is pretty good, but I don't think taxes are that great, and you have some significant sprawl to deal with. If you're looking for something easily accessible to the city but a bit more rural, check Hanover, Powhattan, or Amelia, which are expanding somewhat to deal with Richmond's growth, mostly in that order. Both Powhattan and Amelia share fairly close access to 288, which is very helpful.

How far are you willing to commute, and what side of Richmond is the job located? Those two factors can make a big difference. I'd hate to live in Hanover and work in Chester, likewise live in Amelia and work in Ashland.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Gilpin Court is pretty nice if you are looking for action.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Still negotiating, so I'm not going to get into specifics but it is a tech job in a major bank, so it'll be downtown.  I don't mind the drive (hell, I live in HAMPTON ROADS- you gotta drive a 1/2 hour minimum through tunnels and over bridges to get anywhere down here).  I would be selling a house here so we'd have a decent chunk to put down on a house, but I'd like a bit of property as well, so living further out wouldn't be a problem.

V/r

Wayne
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah if your into varmit huntin'.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Stay away from crime central, "Cary Street".  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Why dont you try Kiln Creek in NN or commute from Kingsmill in Williamsburg ( I know people that do it).  Chesterfield might have some good developments.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the Midlothian area. I'm in the Brandermill/Woodlake area and have been here for 15 years. Its a good area, but one piece of advice, if you move out this way make sure you don't have to drive 360 (Hull Street) during rush hour. On second thought its always rush hour on 360.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Still negotiating, so I'm not going to get into specifics but it is a tech job in a major bank, so it'll be downtown.  I don't mind the drive (hell, I live in HAMPTON ROADS- you gotta drive a 1/2 hour minimum through tunnels and over bridges to get anywhere down here).  I would be selling a house here so we'd have a decent chunk to put down on a house, but I'd like a bit of property as well, so living further out wouldn't be a problem.

V/r

Wayne

SW Chesterfield county is a great area if you want some property. Off Beach Road are many side roads with good property.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 on the Southwest side of Richmond - the 288 coridoor is going to be the place to be, with good house values in the future.  If you're working for one of the banks downtown, staying near Powhite parkway will be key.  Brandermill area is very good, as are the areas around Lucks Ln, Charter Colony & Woolridge Rd.  Just budget paying tolls every week.  Your commute will be right around 30 minutes from these areas.  If you're not familiar with the area, do yourself a favor and check out www.watkinscentre.net/.  Watkins Centre begins in the Spring, and is supposed to give the 288/Midlo area a skyline with 20 story skyscrapers, office park, etc.

Another idea to consider is the Powhatan area (~5 minutes West of the areas mentioned).  You'll have to buy more land and drive a bit further, but you'll enjoy more space, lower taxes and better schools.  To put it in perspective, I live 3 miles from Midlo Turnpike/288 and have a 10 station range in my back yard.  Lot sizes must average 5 acres if they're in a neighborhood, 10 acres if not in a neighborhood.  

My house is going up for sale in late March and early April, but only because I'm building another one a few minutes away.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit your profile.  If you guys know anybody that wants a 4,000+ sq. ft. custom home on 10 acres with an onsite firing range let me know!!  Otherwise it goes up to the unwashed masses in about a month.  

WayneG - good luck in your move.  Hope you find what you want, and we look forward to having you in the area.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
+1 on the Southwest side of Richmond - the 288 coridoor is going to be the place to be, with good house values in the future.  If you're working for one of the banks downtown, staying near Powhite parkway will be key.  Brandermill area is very good, as are the areas around Lucks Ln, Charter Colony & Woolridge Rd.  Just budget paying tolls every week.  Your commute will be right around 30 minutes from these areas.  If you're not familiar with the area, do yourself a favor and check out www.watkinscentre.net/.  Watkins Centre begins in the Spring, and is supposed to give the 288/Midlo area a skyline with 20 story skyscrapers, office park, etc.

Another idea to consider is the Powhatan area (~5 minutes West of the areas mentioned).  You'll have to buy more land and drive a bit further, but you'll enjoy more space, lower taxes and better schools.  To put it in perspective, I live 3 miles from Midlo Turnpike/288 and have a 10 station range in my back yard.  Lot sizes must average 5 acres if they're in a neighborhood, 10 acres if not in a neighborhood.  

My house is going up for sale in late March and early April, but only because I'm building another one a few minutes away.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit your profile.  If you guys know anybody that wants a 4,000+ sq. ft. custom home on 10 acres with an onsite firing range let me know!!  Otherwise it goes up to the unwashed masses in about a month.  

WayneG - good luck in your move.  Hope you find what you want, and we look forward to having you in the area.

Black Fox

Ugh, 20 story sky scrapers? Soon they will be trying to turn my beloved suburbs into the city.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Screw those high price house's move out to the real counry , Prince George

You could get a boat load of a house and land for $300,000.

Then you can be your own RO. And Shoot when ever you want

PG is nice, I have some friends that live down there. And if you're into 4x4's theres a great 4x4 shop down there
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Thats good about Gilpin ct. Chester ,Midlo, and down on river road by Matoaca there is a new subdivision going in. By seven springs marina on the lake.I would stay away from the city and look only in certain areas of Henrico.I don't know where they are but there might still be a good area.It is good to have such a natural barrier as Chippenham with those walls they put up. Did I say that, Ishould not have said that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
if you want to stay close to tidewater, try New Kent County, Bottoms Bridge and Quinton area
close to Williamsburg, and closer to downtown,
schools aren't that good, (or so I was told when I worked in that area 2yrs ago)
but land is available and several new developments are coming along, plus water and sewer are coming too

stay away from the east end of Richmond and Henrico

Beach  Rd in Chesterfield is awesome,  

but I'm biased, I live there  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Basically, NOT henrico or the city. Both have horrible attitudes towards gun laws. Chesterfield is pretty good, but I don't think taxes are that great, and you have some significant sprawl to deal with. If you're looking for something easily accessible to the city but a bit more rural, check Hanover, Powhattan, or Amelia, which are expanding somewhat to deal with Richmond's growth, mostly in that order. Both Powhattan and Amelia share fairly close access to 288, which is very helpful.

How far are you willing to commute, and what side of Richmond is the job located? Those two factors can make a big difference. I'd hate to live in Hanover and work in Chester, likewise live in Amelia and work in Ashland.

No argument about the gun attitude, but I continue to live in Henrico because of the schools (4 kids in K to 10th currently).  I agree that other's schools are "good", but feel our schools are a notch above.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Theres still deals to be had in Dinwiddie County, which will be a investment if you plan on staying in the area for a couple years. I barely live in Dinwiddie and commuted to the West End and/or Northside of Richmond for 2 years, at 45min each way, it isnt that bad. Theres 2 decent, free, state owned ranges <1hr from me also, Amelia and Chickahominy, and a great 50ft pistol range 15min down the road in Colonial Heights.

-- OJM/FireFighter-Paramedic
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#26]
FireMedic,

What is this pistol range in Colonial Heights?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

LOL
It's the only thing keeping Church Hill down.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I've lived in the city (the "fan" district) and in Henrico. Gun laws aren't a major issue, as localities are preempted for the most part by state law. Henrico gets a bad rap for gun issues, but I have no idea why. Most of it is out of their hands. I just renewed my CHP there a couple months ago and everyone involved was polite and it took about 30 days. According to the FAQ here, Henrico will not sign off on NFA, and Richmond will. Not that any of the city's crackheads register their sawed off shotguns.

My impression is that Henrico has declined in recent years in terms of the quality of the residents (a lot of immigrants of questionable legality, suburban gangsters, etc.) and as a result, the schools (overcrowded, less motivated students). West Henrico is suburban hell, especially near Short Pump. I have no idea why anybody would go near that area - it's a zoo. It was fine 10 years ago. Richmond is a no-go if you have kids, unless you buy in the fan district where Fox elementary school is located and then fork over for private school after that.

Chesterfield county is probably a good bet. Cheaper real estate, good schools overall. I can't live there because I hate toll roads and I like the social element in the city, but it might suit you. Hanover is very nice, but overpriced in my opinion. You're gonna need all of that 400K to get a good place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top