Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 8/23/2006 12:45:27 PM EDT
At a gun show in Leadville a couple of weeks ago I talked to a seller about one of his guns in which I was somewhat interested. We did not make a deal, but I am still interested, and have his phone number. He does not have an FFL. Does anyone know how much time has to elapse after a gun show to legally buy a gun (which was discussed at the show) without going through a dealer/background check/etc.?
(If you don't know, please don't guess!)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:17:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yankee2:
At a gun show in Leadville a couple of weeks ago I talked to a seller about one of his guns in which I was somewhat interested. We did not make a deal, but I am still interested, and have his phone number. He does not have an FFL. Does anyone know how much time has to elapse after a gun show to legally buy a gun (which was discussed at the show) without going through a dealer/background check/etc.?
(If you don't know, please don't guess!)

I don't know if there is a set time, but you better not do it in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2006 9:08:01 PM EDT by jim]
excerpts of the law.

3 or more people involved in gun selling constitutes a gun show under the law that was past a few years back.
purchasing a firearm from a vendor who had a table/booth at a show afterwards outside the confines of the show still is considered a 'gun show purchase" and BG check is required. the original contact was made at the show

personally.. i would not even have posted the question online at all. let alone acknowledge possible violation of the law.

if A runs into B down the road an mentions perhaps one of them had a gun the other was interested in who cares what transpires if it is kept private and most of all OFF LINE!!

i would be concerned however on the slimmest chance the seller is a LE or working for them to keep their hide out of jail. and is about to help you .do not pass go . go directly to jail. as it was known to happen regarding selling/offering questionable other then semi-auto items for purchase.
AND with it being an election year, any ammo the anti's can get publicly gives them another reason to void CO's CCW. and yes it can happen.
...............CAVEAT EMPTOR.........
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:48:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:30:24 AM EDT
Appreciate the inputs. I have no intention of getting my ass in a wringer over this particular gun (hell, it's only a 22LR). But I really thought there was some provision in the law whereby after some period of time (week, month, year??) the initial gun show contact was no longer a factor. I may be wrong! (BTW, I'm not trying to avoid the background check - I have a CO CWP - just tring to avoid the hassle of the two of us finding and paying a dealer to DO the BG check)!
Top Top