Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 3:00:24 PM EST
There is a good possibility that I'll be moving to Ft Worth in the next couple of months. I'm in northern Utah now, been here about 2 1/2 years. Before that I lived in Kansas for several years.

I'm wondering about the better places to live around the Ft Worth area, specifically one of the small towns wihtin say 25 miles of FTW. We will probably be buying a house, not necessarily out in the country, but something with a little bigger lot than typical suburbia.

Any ranges in the area?
Good gunshops?
Good Harley dealers?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:09:01 PM EST
As far as ranges go, there is the Alpine Range in southeast Fort Worth. It is an outdoor range. Pretty large place with a lot of variety. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following indoor ranges: Elk and Castle in west Fort Worth and Winchester Gallery in east Fort Worth.

As far as gunshops go, there is a Cheaper than Dirt in north Fort Worth, Bachmans in Dallas, and a ton of other gun shops around the area. I think you'll be covered there.

I'm probably not the best guy to ask about real estate as I mostly travel out of state for work.

Feel free to IM me with any questions.

coburn
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:19:05 PM EST
Come down and take a look before you move the family...I got a couch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:46:06 PM EST
How about you give up the idea.

We have too many foreigners and property prices are high enough.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:12:35 PM EST
Depends where you are going to work and how much traffic you are willing to tolerate.

North of Fort Worth look at: Saginaw, Haslet, and Possibly Azle.

North by North East: Roanoak, Keller, Watauga

East: Hurst and North Richland Hills

West: Weatherford

South: Grandbury, Benbrook, Burleson
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:05:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:08:24 PM EST
Saginaw and Azle are quiet conservative towns that are close to Fort Worth. Keller is nice (where I am moving to friday). Fort Worth is a nice old city, with plenty of good places to live around.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:13:41 PM EST
Thanks everybody, keep it coming. I haven't seen much on ranges or places to shoot near Ft Worth?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:12:53 PM EST
There are plenty of places to shoot. Indoors and Outdoors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:56:19 AM EST
Their are plenty of places to stand in a lane and shoot but not much open air, drive out and pick a spot type stuff like you are probably get in UT
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:36:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:20:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:01:05 AM EST
Just south of Fort Worth out past Benbrook is Rocky Creek gun range. They've got skeet, rifle, pistol. On the rifle range, you've gotta shoot through 15 ft of pipe first and you get terrible noise from it. I'd imagine most people go out to Alpine. Cheap with just about everything you could want.

All those areas mentioned prior are worth looking at.

There's a huge new harley dealer here... Lots of good riding outside the city and always a lot of bikers out cruising when the weather is nice like this past weekend.

Where abouts in FW will you be working? My parents just bought a house on the lake in Granbury... what kind of price range are you looking at?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:00:09 PM EST
I'm not sure where I'll be working. I may have an office in the house and work with different shops (Aerospace). For sure I won't be in any one place.

I think we're going to rent a duplex or something for a few months and try to figure out where the best place for us would be. Then we'll buy something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:26:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By jtkeller:
Just south of Fort Worth out past Benbrook is Rocky Creek gun range. They've got skeet, rifle, pistol. On the rifle range, you've gotta shoot through 15 ft of pipe first and you get terrible noise from it. I'd imagine most people go out to Alpine. Cheap with just about everything you could want.

All those areas mentioned prior are worth looking at.

There's a huge new harley dealer here... Lots of good riding outside the city and always a lot of bikers out cruising when the weather is nice like this past weekend.

Where abouts in FW will you be working? My parents just bought a house on the lake in Granbury... what kind of price range are you looking at?

Isn't that the Gun range down in Whiskey Flats? I used to go there when it was Pistol and Archery only. Nice Gun Range, atleast it was 5 years ago or so. A good Friend of mine goes there often and says they moved over to the southbound side of 377.

Outside of the Ft Worth City Limits is where you want to move, Eagle Mountain Lake, Burleson Crowly are all nice places.
I used to Live in the Summerfields at I-35W and 820 Near Fossil Creek. The newer parts of the summerfields are nice. the older parts have quite abit of juvinial crime.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:02:44 PM EST
The range in Whiskey Flats is On Target, they used to be pistol and archery only but when they moved to the new facility (about a mile north of where they were on 377) they went to primarily handgun with one or maybe two rifle lanes. I did my CHL class there, they have a very modern range but their prices are too high for me to ever go there just for some range time. On housing, I concur with what most of the others have said, there are plenty of nice small towns within the distance you specified. I live in Crowley, about 20 minutes south of downtown on the southwestern edge of Tarrant county. There is a lot of new development going on here but prices are mostly reasonable and it's pretty easy to find places with good size lots.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:21:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:21:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By mojo:

As far as gun ranges, there are several depending on what you want to shoot. I'll chime in the ones that not mention yet.
Tac Pro: about 1 hr 15' drive west of Ft Worth: from handgun to rifle bay, 100 yds zero bay, 1K range also. Allow full auto...FMJ? No problem.
Backwood Traps: nice shooting range...up to 100 yds. An hour drive NE of Ft Worth.
One in Sanger (1 hr North of Ft Worth): they sometimes have subgun match.

Do you have directions to Tac Pro from Fort Worth? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

coburn
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:26:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:37:22 PM EST
Aledo is west of Fort Worth and is a great place to get ranch land close to downtown. Getting expensive.

Further west is Weatherford. Great place and close to Fort Worth. Cheaper than Aledo. Bigger than Aledo. Still has a good country appeal despite it's growing size.

Gun ranges are Alpine and Quail Creek. I also listed another link about DFW Ranges that might help as well.

Alpine Gun Range

DFW Gun Ranges

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:35:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:49:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 8:49:38 PM EST by coburn]

Originally Posted By coburn:

As far as gun ranges, there are several depending on what you want to shoot. I'll chime in the ones that not mention yet.
Tac Pro: about 1 hr 15' drive west of Ft Worth: from handgun to rifle bay, 100 yds zero bay, 1K range also. Allow full auto...FMJ? No problem.
Backwood Traps: nice shooting range...up to 100 yds. An hour drive NE of Ft Worth.
One in Sanger (1 hr North of Ft Worth): they sometimes have subgun match.

Do you have directions to Tac Pro from Fort Worth? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

coburn

tacproshootingcenter.com

Thanks!

coburn
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:11:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2005 10:16:40 PM EST by P35FAN]
I didnt read every post, please excuse any dupe info. My wife & I shopped land a while back. South of DFW metro is generally cheaper per acre than north, especially for land that hasnt been dozed clean.
Highway 67 runs east-west across the bottom of the metro area. Theres a lot of small towns along it that had reasonable prices when we were looking last year. That area would put you within 20-30 minutes of FT Worth.
Gunshops Im not up on, I buy at shows or through the internet mainly.
Theres a new Harley dealer off the west side of FTW. Its off of loop 820 just north of where it crosses I30.
I mainly shoot in E Texas at my cousins place or in the hill country at a friends farm since the graalands were closed so I cant help you on that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:31:35 AM EST
Rocky Creek Range that I mentioned earlier is not the same range as On Target. Rocky Creek is about 5 miles south of 1187 on Old Granbury Rd. It's on the right hand side and there's a big green metal gate. Last time I shot there the guy said they had been there for about 3 years. Not too many people that I've talked to have ever heard of it. It's comparable to Alpine, nicer and newer though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:12:03 AM EST
I like Rock Creek alot better than Alpine
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:05:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 5:06:33 PM EST by RRTX]
Damn I live not 5 miles from this Rocky Creek range and didn't know about it, the only thing I knew about over in that general area was the Corps of Engineers public hunting land. Guess I'll cruise down there tomorrow to try and find it
Top Top