Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2011 6:44:20 PM EDT
We are considering moving to Black Mountain area and was wanting some info..  Both retired so job seeking is not important.
Just wanting to be sure it is gun friendly.  Any suggestions on any area lakes or trout streams etc.  Come on don't be shy, any
information would be greatly appreciated.  We have already been to the area and looked at a few properties, mostly interested in rural
small acreage.  Can't wait leave the commie good for nothing state of IL.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Mtn. is a nice town but real estate is pricey for NC. you can do better in other area's.
I live in Morganton and land is usually quite a bit cheaper around here.
I almost forgot, I have a brick Bi level for sale that is six miles from Morganton  that belonged to my Mother(R.I.P) . Im me for details if you are interested.

Black Mtn. as well as Asheville is being taken over by hippy wanabe's as well as many parts of NC
I love the mountains and there is lots of good hiking trails to enjoy. I do not fish so I cannot help you there.
In Black Mtn. is a little pizza joint called My Fathers Pizza that makes some very good Pie's
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
All of that area up there is Beautiful! Though growing more liberal each year (friends live there).

but Don't forget the Mountains of SC,  less liberal but more hillbilly
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
my grandmother had a place there, beautiful...loved it, would be one of the top 3 places id move to, mountains, small town deal...nice
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Mom lives in Fletcher; right up the road.  Don't know about the local sheriff's stance on gun laws (signing off on NFA items for example) but the area overall is absolutely georgous.  

Might also want to check out the area around Brevard and Hendersonville.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Hendersonville, and love the area.

Some of the best trout fishing is located in Mills River: http://www.where-to-fly-fish-in-america.com/North-Mills-River.html, also NC just passed HB 650 which is a large gun bill that allows us to now carry on NC game lands, and state parks after Dec. 1 2011.

There are two indoor ranges in the area, one in Asheville, and the other in Hendersonville. Both have local shooting matches during the week, and there are some larger matches in the upstate of SC. I am not aware of any 3 gun type matches in this area, as we have a lack of a good rifle range. The only close one is Cold Mountain Rifle Range.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Black mtn and all of western NC is full of trout streams.  And you can fish anywhere within a hours or more drive.  There are literally tons of places to trout fish.  Van Duncan (sheriff) will sign off on NFA items.  He has signed off on a spressor or 2 without me even having the paper work complete, and he is a sheriff who does a good job from what I can tell.  I live in Woodfin and it's about a 20 minute drive from Black mtn and about 5 minutes north of Asheville.  It's a great area but it's true that liberals are taking over.  If you are wanting to move here to relax then you have picked a good spot.  There are places ever to go into God's country to spend time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replys.  We  are planning a return trip to the area soon to look at some of the other communities in the area.  I was sure suprised to learn that there was liberal inhabatants in the area.
Thought all the libtards were in northern IL.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i would suggest Henderson county over Buncombe simply for tax reasons.  I live In Henderson not far out of the Asheville city limits and property taxes are way less. Henderson is still a bit more conservative, but not much.

ETA: THIS ARTICLE just popped up. I'ts def not the norm for the area though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All of that area up there is Beautiful! Though growing more liberal each year (friends live there).

but Don't forget the Mountains of SC,  less liberal but more hillbilly

That's right and us hillbillies want to keep it that way.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i would suggest Henderson county over Buncombe simply for tax reasons.  I live In Henderson not far out of the Asheville city limits and property taxes are way less. Henderson is still a bit more conservative, but not much.

ETA: THIS ARTICLE just popped up. I'ts def not the norm for the area though.

If I am not mistaken thats the first murders in the black mtn area in over 10 years.  Henderson or Madison county will have much lower taxes then Buncombe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top