Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/28/2003 11:47:39 AM EDT
I might take a 3-year contract position with a software development company in Toronto. I'd prefer to commute, but it looks like they would prefer to have me move there initially since they are planning a major expansion and would prefer senior VP's be on-site.

Apparently there aren't any problems getting whatever paperwork is required for me to work in Canada, but I don't really know all that much about Toronto (only time spent in Canada has been in Montreal, Quebec, and Hull).

Isthere a Candadian equivalent to the US resident alien? Will I be able to buy guns and shoot, hunt, etc. Or will I just be an annoying visitor from the States?

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:13:19 PM EDT
I'm near Vancouver B.C., so I can't comment on Toronto except to say you'll be dealing with the big city eastern Liberal mentality. Good luck.

To buy guns, you will need to take the firearms safety course. This is mandatory in order to apply for the Cdn firearms license, or "Possession/Aquisition License (P.A.L.)

This is issued to Americans as well as Canadians, so you need not have Canadian citizenship or a Canadian address to do this.

Any guns you end up buying will be registered with the Cdn feds at point of purchase. Private transfers are supposed to go through the Cdn feds, but there is a big gray market in unregistered guns. You have to renew the license every 5 years to stay legal if you own guns.

"Restricted Weapons" like handguns and certain semi auto military rifles are treated differently, and require paperwork to transport to approved gun clubs and ranges, and in most provinces require a gun club membership for purchase. Not the law, just policy.

You won't be able to buy .25 or .32 handguns, or handguns with a barrel under 4.14", which means even collectables like Lugers are out, but you can have a .50AE Desert Eagle no problem.

You can own an AR15 with LE only features and short barrels with no extra hassles, but you can't buy any semi auto AK variant. There is more like this.

Hunting is a big draw for American tourists, so no problems getting the neccessary permits there.

Contact the National Firearms Association (Canadian NRA)and they'll lay it all out for you in detail.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 6:22:21 AM EDT by Striker]
Top Top