Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2008 12:08:00 PM EDT
I'm looking to take a date out tomorrow for lunch, but am having a hell of a time finding a non-chain restaurant that isn't crappy or ethnic. Anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
there's a cool pub called Rera or something, never eaten there though
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Lot of good ones in the Old Port part of town.

Dimillo's is always a good choice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Ri Ra's
Gritty McDuff's
Three Dollar Dewey's

You can't go wrong at any of them!
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lot of good ones in the Old Port part of town.

Dimillo's is always a good choice.

I agree. Dimillos is a good restaurant with a nice atmosphere and being on a ship is always cool. The Old Port has lots of places to eat, but a lot are bar/grill type restaurants, geared towards tourist, or hippie hangouts.

Haven't eaten there for some time but, I always liked the food at Jay's Oyster Bar. The place looks like crap and the crowd can look a little "rough" at times but the food was always great.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
roboman
Sorry this is late I was out of town, but maybe it will help for next time.

The Irish place mentioned in the second post is RiRa's, the food pretty good & if you eat in the upstairs dining room it overlooks the water.

My personal favorite is Fore Street.  On, you guessed it, Fore St.  Great food! & service. www.forestreet.biz/

Local 188 on Congress St is also good.  I've also heard great things about 555, but we haven't been there yet.  ($$)

I you're up for a ferry ride out to Peak's there is a nice place out there called the Cockeyed Gull.

We haven't really had the opportunity to try many of the newer places.

More casual: Norm's BBQ on Middle St.  There's another BBQ place in So. Portland near the bridge.  You've also got Sebego Brewing near the Mall in So. Portland.

There are also a few casual places on Commercial St. including Jay's, & a couple of others as you get closer to the ferry terminal. ( I can't remember the names at the moment.)

Really they're all casual(a great thing about Portland), it's just the prices that start to differentiate them.

I don't really care for DiMillo's myself.  My wife & I will usually only go there for an occasional drink.  It is nice for a drink if you get outdoor seating.

CD
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I second Gritty McDuff's
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
roboman
Sorry this is late I was out of town, but maybe it will help for next time.

The Irish place mentioned in the second post is RiRa's, the food pretty good & if you eat in the upstairs dining room it overlooks the water.

My personal favorite is Fore Street.  On, you guessed it, Fore St.  Great food! & service. www.forestreet.biz/

Local 188 on Congress St is also good.  I've also heard great things about 555, but we haven't been there yet.  ($$)

I you're up for a ferry ride out to Peak's there is a nice place out there called the Cockeyed Gull.

We haven't really had the opportunity to try many of the newer places.

More casual: Norm's BBQ on Middle St.  There's another BBQ place in So. Portland near the bridge.  You've also got Sebego Brewing near the Mall in So. Portland.

There are also a few casual places on Commercial St. including Jay's, & a couple of others as you get closer to the ferry terminal. ( I can't remember the names at the moment.)

Really they're all casual(a great thing about Portland), it's just the prices that start to differentiate them.

I don't really care for DiMillo's myself.  My wife & I will usually only go there for an occasional drink.  It is nice for a drink if you get outdoor seating.

CD

+1 on Fore Street. Sam Hayward is the chef/ owner and somewhat of a Maine food celebrity.

You might also want to check out the old port sea grill on commercial st. Much better food than DiMillo's
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Drive up to Gray and go to Cole Farms ..... IF its still there ...... used to be awesome, that is the last time I was there in .... ohhhhhhhh 91
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree on Grittiys. Also, for evening or late night bar food, check out Sebago Brewing on middle street. Order up the potato nachos and enjoy! I've been going there off and on for eight years.. Usually the mixed drinks are top notch, house brews are economical and very effective. ;)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been to the Fore Street in a while, but holey hell that was about the best damn meal I have ever had!  Even the side dishes were amazing and full of flavor!  Try getting rice fricking pilaf that actually tastes good at a restaraunt, at the Fore Street it's ALL good!!  And where else could you get Diver Harvested Scallops and applewood grilled BBQ duck?  Mmmmm....

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on Ri Ras and DiMillos ....both excellent choices.

Im heartbroken that they closed the Village Cafe
They had the best fried clams in the world.

Anyone know of a decent plate of fried clams in Greater Portland or Manchester NH??

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I love DiMillos.. I also have good memories from eating at The Roma.  It's about as far from a chain restaurant as you're going to find..

I realize the date has passed.. so where did you go?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
Drive up to Gray and go to Cole Farms ..... IF its still there ...... used to be awesome, that is the last time I was there in .... ohhhhhhhh 91
Cole's is still there, an still a great place!
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I also have good memories from eating at The Roma.  It's about as far from a chain restaurant as you're going to find..

Bramhall Pub downstairs at The Roma was one of the places we used to go.  Middle St. Pub, Seaman's Club, Kayo's (sp).  I think they're all long gone except The Roma.  I'm really dating myself now.  1980, IIRC?
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#15]
One more addition to the list, David's on Monument Square in Portland.  Took my parents there this past weekend & had a fantastic dinner.

CD
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure that the OP's date is over by now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Im pretty sure that folks in greater Portland will still be going on dates and looking for ideas on resteraunts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Really?  I'm aware of the time frame of the OP date.  This thread has some good info area restaurants & I felt it was worth adding another & keeping it up to date.  There are other people in the area who may be going on a date in the future.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I'm aware of the time frame of the OP date.  This thread has some good info area restaurants & I felt it was worth adding another & keeping it up to date.  There are other people in the area who may be going on a date in the future.

I was just busting balls - I'm from Philly, that's what we do.  
...well, that and apparently murder a shitload of people if you believe the news.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...- I'm from Philly, that's what we do.  
...well, that and apparently murder a shitload of people if you believe the news.

Ahhh Philly, that explains it!  Last I heard I think Camden, NJ has Philly beat on the crime. (at least on a per capita basis.)  I do miss those cheese steaks though...  originally from NJ & went to school in PA for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Gritty's is nice. Just ate there last week on vacation. Get the brown ale.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I know this is waaaay over but nobody mentioned the Great Lost Bear?  Or am I a tard and just not see it.  Sooooo much good beer and food *superburger*.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top