Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2008 11:40:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
So, what would be achieved by making this info public, ie, what good for the public benefit would there then be?
Hmm......
Co%^su&*ers
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
shit the bastards will never quit now. they can kiss my ass
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
does that mean we are entitled to know everybody's criminal history, including juvy stuff?  Criminals were not forced to commit those crimes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
does that mean we are entitled to know everybody's criminal history, including juvy stuff?  Criminals were not forced to commit those crimes.

Jack Orchard, a lawyer on retainer with the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association, is more definite. Orchard said the public has a right to know who has a concealed weapon.

“It’s not something you are entitled to keep confidential,” he said. “No one forced you to acquire a handgun.”

Fine. Jack Orchard, what is your personal address? No one forced you to become a lawyer....
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
"Portland Liberal Lawyers at it again"

How about just "Portland Lawyers at it again," or perhaps "Portland Republican Lawyers at it again." The law firm mentioned in the article is not very large, seven lawyers. Although the article does not identify any individual lawyer in the firm, one of the lawyers in the firm is a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association. Another, Kelly Clark, is known for, among other things, advocating for the rights of property owners under Oregon’s property rights Ballot Measure 37, is an adjunct professor at George Fox University, and is working on a Masters Degree in theology. A third lawyer in the firm was Oregon State Senator Tom Hartung's chief of staff a few years back. Hartung was a Republican and a strong supporter of charter schools. A fourth lawyer in the firm took first prize in the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Scholarship Essay contest, and served as campus chapter President of the Federalist Society while in law school.

I have no idea why they are involved in this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Fine. Jack Orchard, what is your personal address? No one forced you to become a lawyer....

12878 NW XXXX; PDX

3 minutes.

Work, address, work contact, home address, home contact, wife's name, photos, maps, aerials, causes / groups they donate to and amounts, other cases he has been involved with......

If you have a CHL - and you don't get it - tune in to this. With a name in a newpaper story, a computer and 3 minutes we just got an idea of this guy and his life. The same can be done by a bad guy putting together a shopping list for guns to steal. Playing the odds - knowledge of how to quickly ascertain home values in a given zip code or 1/2 census block area; age of the principals; (under 50 with moderate to high home values virutally assures that they have a job, that they willl be gone for a good portion of the day, and likely have things worth stealing); where they work - makes it easy to follow them for a few days to develop a pattern of activity and gain additional insight - see the problems now? This is why WE DON'T WANT THIS INFO PUBLIC.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, what would be achieved by making this info public, ie, what good for the public benefit would there then be?
Hmm......
Co%^su&*ers

exactly.  if they're going to tell everyone, whats the point in 'concealing' it.  I also agree the criminals have no business knowing anything about me.  You would think a law degree would require some kind of common sense...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How about just "Portland Lawyers at it again," or perhaps "Portland Republican Lawyers at it again." The law firm mentioned in the article is not very large, seven lawyers. Although the article does not identify any individual lawyer in the firm, one of the lawyers in the firm is a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association. Another, Kelly Clark, is known for, among other things, advocating for the rights of property owners under Oregon’s property rights Ballot Measure 37, is an adjunct professor at George Fox University, and is working on a Masters Degree in theology. A third lawyer in the firm was Oregon State Senator Tom Hartung's chief of staff a few years back. Hartung was a Republican and a strong supporter of charter schools. A fourth lawyer in the firm took first prize in the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Scholarship Essay contest, and served as campus chapter President of the Federalist Society while in law school.

Ummm.... money?

Check out their home page - they are ambulance chasers as well as full service whores.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
What's next, a list of all the guns in your house?

What about list of all your belongings posted on the internet?

No one should object to an inventory of their house being public. Law abiding people have nothing to hide.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Another way for gun grabbers to make citizens uneasy about getting a CC permit or have second thoughts: fear of their employer finding out, neighbors etc. and concerns it might effect their job, how they are viewed in the neighborhood etc.

Just like gun grabbers would love to post lists of Oregon citizens that own Black Guns, AK's in the local papers.

Trying to make CC or Black Guns a stigma.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm.... money?

Check out their home page - they are ambulance chasers as well as full service whores.

It's funny how so many people say this until they actually need an attorney.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I just contacted them via email.  I doubt i will hear anything though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm.... money?

It's funny how so many people say this until they actually need an attorney.

When you need an attorney, they're the best thing ever.  Any other time they're sleazy whores of the highest order.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When you need an attorney, they're the best thing ever.  Any other time they're sleazy whores of the highest order.

That about sums it up, yep.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You, sir or ma'am, appear to be correct. http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2008/11/18/news/community/6aaa03_privacy.txt
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I received a response from the law firm.  I asked if it was okay to post their response.  I will keep folks updated as info becomes available.

ETA
My initial correspondence

Dear partners of O’Donnell Clark & Crew,

Your firm’s request to the county of Benton in the state of Oregon for concealed handgun license information has prompted me to write this letter.  As a concerned citizen of the state I wonder why your office has the need for this data?  What purposes will you use it for?  What safeguards will you put in place to make sure that this information is protected from malicious use?  Who will you share the information with?  Etc.

Hopefully you have merits, which warrant this information.  I believe as I exercise my 1st amendment rights you will be able to answer the questions I have asked.  I have no vested interests in this other than my own curiosity, hopefully that is not the reason the firm is requesting this data.

To illustrate the other side of this issue, I am quite sure that if I requested your employee/financial records, I would be met with a flat out denial for the information requested, litigation and a cease and desist order from a judge.

In closing, I wish your firm the best in its future endeavors.  I look forward to your firm’s answers to my questions.

Regards,

Corbu

The reply
Corbu:

Thanks for your email.  The article that reported our request for the CHL records was quite misleading.  In fact, we represent a pro-gun organization called Oregon Stare Rifle Association and also goes by Oregon Gun Owners.  This group was instrumental in getting the first CHL law passed and its very concerned about anticipated attacks on the law in the upcoming legislative session.  Thus, as described in our initial letter to the Sheriff, this information was sought solely for the purpose of gathering information to be able to properly inform persons such as yourself about the law.  This information will not be publicly distributed, posted or given out to anyone.

I hope this alleviates your concerns. We were quite disappointed with the article in the Corvallis Gazette as it appears to have generate a number of concerns among CHL permit holders, which we certainly did not intend inasmuch as our client is very much in support of gun rights.

[Redacted per request]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Could it be that we need lawyers because lawyers made it so?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Corbu-

Concerning the response letter you received.  I went to both the websites stated.  The first is over a year out of date.  The second is still under construction in most places.  IMO, I smell fish.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Corbu-

Concerning the response letter you received.  I went to both the websites stated.  The first is over a year out of date.  The second is still under construction in most places.  IMO, I smell fish.

To be honest, I concur with your assessment.  Personally I think all of the sheriffs offices should add the disclaimer for personal security/ do not release information to the public to their forms.  If I had a clue how to get that started here in Deschutes county I would start.  Perhaps it is time to start a letter writing campaign.  For me it will have to wait till after the holiday though, between work and Thanksgiving I will be very busy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top