Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 5:12:09 PM EDT
This thread got me thinking... are any police departments in the NE IL "politically incorrect" enough to sell off guns from the evidence locker?  I've been to the occasional auction where one or two siezed cars and some office furniture were up on the block, but never found any guns.

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so. Seized guns, like seized drugs are routinely destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
seized guns end up in their home safes. Don't be fooled.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Police departments in Illinois are prohibited by law from selling seized guns.  

Of course, when I was a prosecutor, I used to get all my ammo from the P.D. - they can't burn it, so they had to get rid of it somehow.  And if you needed gun parts, you could cannibalize whatever was in the burn barrel, waiting to go to the smelter.  Just couldn't take the parts with serial numbers!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
we had just transferred some old evidence guns to a C3 dealer in exchange for a small credit on a half dozen ARs.  We also transferred some Viet Nam era m16's.  I wished we never got rid of those, but they couldn't be tranferred to civie market, only C3/FFL holders.

the guns traded out of evidence were crap to begin with and severly neglected in the evidence room/armory.  You're better off buying a brand new $25 Lorcin than spending $18 bucks at the auction.  just my two cents
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Police departments in Illinois are prohibited by law from selling seized guns.  

Of course, when I was a prosecutor, I used to get all my ammo from the P.D. - they can't burn it, so they had to get rid of it somehow.  And if you needed gun parts, you could cannibalize whatever was in the burn barrel, waiting to go to the smelter.  Just couldn't take the parts with serial numbers!

i knew your voice sounded familar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top