Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:57 PM EDT
Police: Man shot with arrows
By Jennifer Baker • [email protected] • September 7, 2010

ELMWOOD PLACE – A man is expected to recover after he was shot three times with arrows Tuesday morning at his home in this small Hamilton County suburb of about 2,700 residents, police said.

The arrows hit Samuel Douglas Stacey, 50, twice in the back and once in his right hand just before 7 a.m. in the 400 block of Beech Street, according to Elmwood Place Police Chief William Peskin.

Authorities searched Tuesday for a suspect, identified as Harry Spivey, 57, who had been staying with Stacey. His last known address is in Adams County.

Police issued a warrant for Spivey’s arrest on Tuesday, charging him with attempted murder, in Hamilton County Municipal Court. It is a first-degree felony.

“The suspect was disrespecting the victim’s 11-year-old daughter and that’s when an argument ensued,” Peskin said as he stood in front of Stacey’s home. “At that point, we can’t figure out what occurred. We don’t know if he left to retrieve the bow and then came back and shot him. A neighbor heard shouting about 4 a.m. and then someone heard him calling for help later.”

Peskin said Stacey was discovered on a sofa inside the house. Authorities are not sure if he was laying down when he was shot.

He underwent several hours of surgery at University Hospital. Peskin said he has a punctured lung.

Stacey’s relatives gathered outside his home as police collected evidence inside and media walked the area, interviewing neighbors.

One man, Edward Baczyk, 71, described the neighborhood as fairly sedate.

“It’s the first time anything like this has happened here,” he said as he sat on his front porch next door to Stacey’s house. “I hope it doesn’t happen again.”

The victim’s sister, Sandra Charles, said she was taking her grandson to catch his school bus when she saw police cars parked outside her brother’s house. She quickly dropped off the youngster and returned.

She arrived in time to see her brother talking with investigators as he was carried from his house and placed into an ambulance. She said an arrow was still sticking out of his right side.

Relatives and friends describe Stacey as kind-hearted and generous.

“Everybody in this town knows Dougie,” his sister said. “I just talked to my brother yesterday. He is the type of person who, if you are homeless, he will help you. That’s what happened here. Harry was staying there with him a couple days because he was homeless.”

Police are searching for Spivey’s green Dodge Intrepid with a shattered rear driver’s side window. The car, with Ohio license plate EKE-7021, was last seen speeding down Beech.

He is described as white, bald, heavy-set and in his 50s. He was wearing white sweatpants and an orange shirt.

Staff writer Carrie Whitaker contributed.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100907/NEWS010701/309070016/1055/NEWS/Man-wounded-by-arrows
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh crap, hold on to your bows, I feel a bow ban coming on.  Or a 2 arrow maximum in your quiver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why common-sense gun control laws are so important.  
These kinds of acts of violence could be stopped.  If we could just
eliminate guns from the situation, then people wouldn't get hurt.  

What's that?  Eh?  A bow?  Like with arrows?

Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They had to have been field points. Broad heads through the lung would likely have been fatal.

Do you think a defense atty could argue that since he only used field tips, it wasn't really attemted murder?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be able to argue that it was an accident during shooting practice with the field points.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#6]
"I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands, I do not care"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#7]
shooter turned himself in outside of Atlanta.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Uh crap, hold on to your bows, I feel a bow ban coming on.  Or a 2 arrow maximum in your quiver.

This is exactly why we need to get these dangerous "assault bows" off of our streets now!  I'm all for archery and all but come on, these things have pulleys, and sighting devices, and I hear that some of them even have a "folding thing that goes up."  What purpose other than killing people could these weapons possibly serve?  Did you know  that there are even cop-killer arrows out there on the black market?  Times are changing, the world is a dangerous place, please join my Coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Bows and help to keep our neighborhoods and families safe by getting these man-killers off our streets.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Apparently this happened to my friend's uncle. And broad heads were used. He was shot once in the hand and twice in the chest area, from what I've heard. I'm still wondering why he stood there long enough for the guy to get three shots off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Did he have an apple on his head? ......... In all seriosness i hope they caught the guy!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did he have an apple on his head? ......... In all seriosness i hope they caught the guy!

He turned himself in after fleeing to a different state.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top