Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 10:50:01 AM EDT
Hi! I've been reading this site for some time now and I've finally got a reason to post. As a NJ resident we are only allowed to have 15rd magazine's for our guns, so I ordered a 20rd pmag that was blocked to 15rds by riflegear.com. Problem is when I have between 12-15 rounds in the magazine the gun will chamber the first, fire, and on the return the bolt just pushes the tip of the bullet into the magazine instead of actually extracting it from the magazine. I have a Stag Arms Model 1 that I've owned for about two months now and has been flawless besides this. The 10rd magazine that came with the gun works fine. Its happened with XM855, PMC .223, S&B .223 so I'm assuming the ammunition is not the fault. Anyone have an idea whats wrong?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
move to pa
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
move to pa

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Rounds nose diving and hitting the front part of the magazine itself is a F2F, or Failure to Feed.

It's a defective magazine, return it.

And PA dwellers, get outta here, this is our forum
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a complete guess.

I wonder if they used the same spring but compressed more for the reduced capacity mag.  If that's the case, when fully loaded the ammo stack would be under much more pressure from the spring, and the straight 20rnd mags are not (cannot be) an anti-tilt follower.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe its the bullet itself you are using. i have 3 of the rifle gear ones that i fully load and use all the time without issues. i am using a mix of speer gold dot 62 gr,, american eagle ae223 55 gr., remington 223 55 grain and privi (whatever it is) 55 gr and no issues. if you are north jersey we can go to the range one day and switch mags to see if the problem travels with the gun or with the mag.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you two post stuff like that and NOT feel like dickheads?!?! This guys 1st post on the forum, looking for help, you have nothing to add (more than likely because you yourselves don't know how to mechanically fix the problem either) and lastly, BOTH of you aren't even in your own hometown forum!

To the OP, unfortunately it's one if those situations where it's hard to avoid, but basically it's because if you have enough room for it to work properly with 15rds, many times you can get the felonius 16th rd in. An example, HK's 30rd AR mags can actually fit 32, but for people in the "free world" so to speak, it doesn't really matter. You can try cutting the spring back to give it a little more room to work, but you only wanna cut back a coil at a time until it runs. (this is assuming they come apart) I don't have any exp with this particular companies mags, but I've made a handful of 15rd mags and have experienced what your talking about. You dont wanna cut off too much because it could be what's being used to limit the follower to "fine tune" it to only allow 15rds. It's a tricky balance to get it to run an feed 15rds without going over, most of mine wound up being reliable 12rd mags.

Until a company steps up and realizes our market, its just what we have to deal with.

Sucks we were limited in the 1st place, but I wish it woulda been nice if we were limited to the readily available 20rd mags, but the people that wrote the laws knew damn well there was no 15rd mags to be had....

eta that rant/reply was written as the 3rd reply, but had connection problems, then when I got home it posted it... I prolly wouldnt have bothered at this point
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi! I've been reading this site for some time now and I've finally got a reason to post. As a NJ resident we are only allowed to have 15rd magazine's for our guns, so I ordered a 20rd pmag that was blocked to 15rds by riflegear.com. Problem is when I have between 12-15 rounds in the magazine the gun will chamber the first, fire, and on the return the bolt just pushes the tip of the bullet into the magazine instead of actually extracting it from the magazine. I have a Stag Arms Model 1 that I've owned for about two months now and has been flawless besides this. The 10rd magazine that came with the gun works fine. Its happened with XM855, PMC .223, S&B .223 so I'm assuming the ammunition is not the fault. Anyone have an idea whats wrong?

If you shoot at Range 14, PM me a date time you'll be there and you can try that same ammo in my 15 round mags. I stand by my original post.

I've got 3 PMAG 15 rounders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top