Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 4:07:21 AM EDT
She almost made it 'til Christmas.
She was born Dec 23rd.
It still doesn't seem real that she is ours.
She was due Jan 4th.
Weighs 7 lbs 6 oz.  And 19 3/4 inches.

My wife had a really rough time.
She went to the doctor for a normal check-up and was sent directly to the hospital with high-blood pressure.
She had preeclampsia (aka toxemia).
So she spent 3 days in the hospital, where they tried to get her ready to induce for 24 hours, then gave up and were about to do a c-section, when I asked "are you sure it is OK she has been drinking fluids today?"
They said "Ahhh... let me check.  NO!"
Turns out the nurses were simply going along with our wishes to have a normal delivery if possible, while the doctor was planning a c-section all along.  And because she had been in so long, they had to feed her (clear liquids).  However, she didn't get cut off before surgery (the doctor didn't communicate to the nurses she was planning surgery in the morning, if induction didn't work).  So the choice was leave her in the hospital 2 more days until they could schedule a c-section, or go home on bed rest (as her BP had stabilised at very acceptable levels).  So her brother came over to the house to stay with her, so I could go to work for a couple hours.  About the time I get to work,she starts feeling bad again, so they call the doctor, who tells them she is at Grant, come there immediately.  As soon as she examines my wife, she decides it is best to have it now, while everything is slow at the hospital.
So I get a call to get to Columbus quickly (from Dayton). I drove as fast as is practical on 70, considering it is Christmas-time and OHP will be out in force(they were).  They said they would hold the C-section as long as possible.  I literally walked into the room and was put into surgical clothes, and they wheeled her to the operating room.  20 minutes later...

Anyhow, everything worked out well.  The baby is great, and my wife is recovering, but in the hospital until Tues, the 27th.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats

Icon
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear everything turned out okay. Heckofa Christmas present.

andon me
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
A lovely miracle for Christmas!

Congrats on the little one
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations Mike! That's great news! We were just talking this morning, oddly, about you guys and wondering when you were expecting.

My wife had Toxemia as well, but was rushed into emergency surgery at 27 weeks, and Emma came into the world on Dec. 19th at a whopping 1lb 11oz, looking somewhat like a bad science experiment. Like you, I got to the ER right when it was ready, I whipped on the clothes and they rushed me into the room to see my daughter literally being pulled from my wife's stomach....and I got dizzy and fell down. Anyway, lucky for us she was fine and after a 2month stay at Children's, she came home weighing just 4lbs. Today she's unwrapping presents, 9 years old, and healthy as can be.

Enjoy every minute! Daughters are wonderful even when they aren't! Debra & I are happy for you and wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Let's see some pics!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow I bet your nerves were going wild. Glad to see everything turned out good though. Hopefully your wife will make a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
congrats!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!!

I am relieved after seeing that picture.  I was afraid she would come out with a go-tee.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats Mike!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Awesome!!

I am relieved after seeing that picture.  I was afraid she would come out with a go-tee.

You do realize I wasn't born this way, right?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Craig, you had talked about the difficulties you guys had (low birth weight, sick mom, daughter in hospital for long time, getting there late) but I didn't realize what had caused it.  Obviously, your problems were much more aggressive than ours.  Up until the last week, the pregnancy was nearly textbook.  At least we didn't have anything to worry about for weeks and weeks.

ETA: 2 lbs is right about what one would expect of Craig's baby, when you think about it.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ETA: 2 lbs is right about what one would expect of Craig's baby, when you think about it.  

Hey now!

Beautiful picture, btw.....very cute. The crying when they're that age is normal tho. I imagine in your case when your new baby realizes she is born a buckeye fan, she's a little upset. In time, they get used to it.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I imagine in your case when your new baby realizes she is born a buckeye fan, she's a little upset. In time, they get used to it.

sorry, couldnt resist

congrats mike--glad everything turned out ok  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats. My 1st born is 1 month old and the delivery was very similar. Got the call at work when she was brought tot he hospital due to the toxemia. No C Section but she had 4th degree tears.  Merry Christmas to you and your new addtion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats, to the new parents!!!!!!!!!!  

may your wife have a speedy recovery..  

Thats what i would call a christmast gift from the lord!

colt!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations on your new daughter.  Looks good.  you may have to lose the beard so she doesn't think she was born into a family of bears, though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Congaratulations Mike !!      

Mine is 3 this past August.....  she is a hoot most of the time, and has a mind of her own.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats man!

She is precious, I wish you and family the best!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats. Just in time to file the tax deduction too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:51:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats, in a very big way. My family wishes you and yours a speedy recovery and
great times ahead.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#21]
congrats dad......

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Congrats. Just in time to file the tax deduction too.

If only you knew how right you are...

We ended up at the hospital last Tues, and then after getting discharged, I said to my wife, "you had better have it her next week, or we'll be paying 2 insurance deductibles for 2 calendar years, plus we'll lose the deduction"  

That's a lot of jack for a couple days difference.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats!!! Start saving now for college!!!!

- Ross
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Out Freakin' Standing!

Congratulations!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Mike,
She's beautiful......

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
My most sincere congratulations!  Little girls steal their daddy's heart something fierce.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top