Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
I have always wondered what would be LE's response if I responded to a burglar, prowler, fight or some like situation outside of my apartment with my trusty, ubertactical zombie-killer Ms. Mean Green. What are the legal ramifications and/or possible police response to me being outside with my AR and a 30 round mag? For example..there is a suspicious noise outside on my patio at 3 am....I grab Ms. Green and go out to investigate. LE has been summoned by neighbor unknown to me since she has heard same noise. LE shows up. They find/see me in a T-shirt and drawers with Ms.Green..what happens next? Oh FWIW..I am in Mesa and  I am a large, intimidating-looking black male!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Does "Mormon death squad" mean anything to you?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Are you saying I should have more than a 30 round mag then?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Oh, that would be funny if it weren't true...

My guess would be to put the weapon down and put your hands over your head FAST!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in a condo complex.  Every morning and every evening I go to and from my car with an uncased rifle and a holstered handgun.  Ive found that if you conduct yourself in a manner that makes it look like you know what youre doing, people usually dont bother you.

If youre really worried about it, keep a sling on your rifle and be ready to let go of it when the cops roll up.  Also go check out your local beat meeting.  We met at Derek's TAWP party and I don't think I'll ever forget you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I live in a condo complex.  Every morning and every evening I go to and from my car with an uncased rifle and a holstered handgun.  Ive found that if you conduct yourself in a manner that makes it look like you know what youre doing, people usually dont bother you.

If youre really worried about it, keep a sling on your rifle and be ready to let go of it when the cops roll up.  Also go check out your local beat meeting.  We met at Derek's TAWP party and I don't think I'll ever forget you.

I hope I left a positive impression! And when you say local beat meeting what exactly is that? Explain to the noob!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have always wondered what would be LE's response if I responded to a burglar, prowler, fight or some like situation outside of my apartment with my trusty, ubertactical zombie-killer Ms. Mean Green. What are the legal ramifications and/or possible police response to me being outside with my AR and a 30 round mag? For example..there is a suspicious noise outside on my patio at 3 am....I grab Ms. Green and go out to investigate. LE has been summoned by neighbor unknown to me since she has heard same noise. LE shows up. They find/see me in a T-shirt and drawers with Ms.Green..what happens next? Oh FWIW..I am in Mesa and  I am a large, intimidating-looking black male!

Pop smoke and run like hell!

(Provided there isn't a taser dart in your ass)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You will probably be shot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's see here, Cops responding to an unknown disturbance call in the middle of the night roll up on a guy in his underwear holding a evil looking rifle.
My take:
It's not going to be pretty.
As for the legal ramifications, if you survive the initial contact phase, there is really nothing they can do to you, but they will probably cuff you and secure your weapon till they are sure of the situation.
And you're going to have some explaining to do, considering you probably won't have ID and are standing around with a weapon in the middle of an apartment complex.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I can see the side of LE in that scenario I suppose! Guess I will have to do all my investigating with my trusty HK USP! And as soon as I hear or see the fuzz, either scoot back into my apt. or drop and adopt!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can see the side of LE in that scenario I suppose! Guess I will have to do all my investigating with my trusty HK USP! And as soon as I hear or see the fuzz, either scoot back into my apt. or drop and adopt!

My 2 cents:

Stay inside, keep an eye out for trouble. It's an apartment complex, which automatically means "crazy-nut-job zone" to the police....don't believe me? Go on a ride-along. Apologies to those living in apartments....but you've seen your neighbors.

Besides, if the police have to show up looking for a real prowler, and waste time dealing with you, then the prowler will be back another night leaving his DNA on Ms. X's daughters bedroom window....don't believe  me? Go on a ride-along.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying I should have more than a 30 round mag then?

Belt-fed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top