Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 6:14:33 PM EDT
I would like to get a Saiga Vepr .308 with 16.3" barell and when I went to my local FFL and asked if they would transfer it they promptly declined and said they are Illegal in the state, yet the the same style of receiver is used in their .410 shotguns.
Can anyone enlighten me on this matter or is this politics as usual

Thanks Medic-1  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend who just got a Saiga 7.62x39 here in NJ.  I wave a Romak.  It seems as long as it has just two evil features it is ok.  I have pistol grip, and detachable mags( 10 rounders only).  It was transfered to me by ramsey's Outdoor.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They are perfectly legal in NJ. I own 4 of them all purchased in NJ.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Your FFl has incorrect information.

Saiga rifles are perfectly legal in NJ as long as the "evil" features are kept at two.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just called another FFL and he confirmed all your information. Thank you all. Tough decision between one of those and a shooter Garand.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just called another FFL and he confirmed all your information. Thank you all. Tough decision between one of those and a shooter Garand.  What do you think?

Garand
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garand

+1

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]

I'd get a Garand before a Saiga any day
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah but by the time I sink $$ into say a CMP to make it safely "functional" I spent as much or not more $$ into a Saiga. Money that I haven't really got. Beleive me if I could find an M1 for $400- not more than 500 that isn't all shot out or highly questionable I might have gotten it. I decided on the (reluctently) on the Saiga. Maybe in 6 months to a year the Garand will come my way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah but by the time I sink $$ into say a CMP to make it safely "functional" I spent as much or not more $$ into a Saiga. Money that I haven't really got. Beleive me if I could find an M1 for $400- not more than 500 that isn't all shot out or highly questionable I might have gotten it. I decided on the (reluctently) on the Saiga. Maybe in 6 months to a year the Garand will come my way.

??????

I spent less than $400 (including shipping!) on my CMP rack grade USGI Springfield and it's just fine.  No mechanical problems, no safety problems, and certainly not all shot out.  In fact, it was a complete steal at that price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ok I guess you really have no clue as to how the CMP grades their M1s.  Every rifle that leaves Anniston is inspected, head spaced and test fired for function.  The service grade, and rack grade rifles are not shot out nor are they highly questionable.  All you have to do is give them a good cleaning and you are off the the range.  The only thing that I have had to buy for my 2 CMP service grade rifles is ammo.  Now if you do experience any problems the CMP is very good to work with you.  They will either send you replacement parts or will give you a call tag to send the rifle back.  They will most likely send you out a entirely different rifle.

Matt
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
M1-Matt-- I have read the CMP website quite carefully corncerning their grades. I guess I was just afraid of getting a "junky" RACK Grade.
And the SERVICE grade presented a better option with a little less risk, but you never know.

I went with the SAIGA because for the same money I got a package deal with a scope. In 6 months or so the garand is next on the list. This time it was one or the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top