Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 7:03:00 PM EDT
Got this e-mail...Can anyone confirm the TOTAL facts? I know Target is "Frog" owned...but it the rest of it is true, I'll NEVER Spend a dime again with these bastards.

Wasn't it last Christmas that Target refused to let the Salvation Army ring their bells in front of their stores?

Dick Forrey of the Vietnam Veterans Association wrote. "Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during ourspring recognition event. We received the following replyfrom the local TARGET management:

" Veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the arts, social action
groups, gay & lesbian causes, and education."

So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in general, do not meet their donation criteria, then something is really wrong at this TARGET store. We were  not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, just a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance. As a  follow-up, I E-mailed the TARGET U.S. Corporate Headquarters and their response was the same. That's their national policy. Then I looked into the company further. They will not allow the  Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots' at any of their stores. And during the recent Iraq deployment, they would not allow families of employees who were called up for active duty  to continue their insurance coverage while they were on military service. Then as I dig further, TARGET is a French-owned corporation. Now, I'm thinking again. If TARGET cannot support American
Veterans, then why should my family and I support their stores by spending our hard earned American dollars! And, have their profits sent to France.  Without the American Vets, where would France be today? "They, most likely would be speaking German and trading in Deutsch Marks"

Sincerely,

Dick Forrey
Veterans Helping Veterans
Please send this on to everyone you know to let Target know

Anyone? I hate to think of our boys fighting for this crap!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We need to verify this, it doesn't sound correct at all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We need to verify this, it doesn't sound correct at all.

I got it from a reserve officer that works at Boeing. I hope to hell its not true. If it is, then we should let Target get the hammer! Please check to see if its a rumor or fact. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it to be true.  I heard a story about something similar to this couple 3-4 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It still doesn't sound correct.  I dealt with some of their managers on a case a year or so back during a scam, and they said that each store was able to give a certain amount of money into the community.  A local VFW would fit that.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but something sounds rather odd about the entire thing.  The obvious PR liability angle would make you think it would have been worded differently, especially the "gay and lesbian" part.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like BS.  Would be pretty easy to find out though.  I'm sure they have a public relations or "Office of the President" which deals with such public issues.  I'd side-bet you 5.00 that's complete BS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]

From 1GunnerHogan1:   I know Target is "Frog" owned...

From Snopes.com:  The Target Corporation is a publicly held U.S. firm which has been based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, since it began as the Dayton Dry Goods Company in 1902. Target is not now, nor has it ever been, foreign-owned.

Snopes

Snopes Mk 1, MOD 2

Not even .028% true. . .

ETA:  83.28% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like BS.  Would be pretty easy to find out though.  I'm sure they have a public relations or "Office of the President" which deals with such public issues.  I'd side-bet you 5.00 that's complete BS.

From their corporate site:

"Outstanding Employer" award, presented by The Washington State Chapter of the National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) - for Target’s support of team members serving in the guard and reserves, 2004

Forbes names Target Corporation "One of the Most Philanthropic Companies" - 2003

They have donated in the hundreds of millions of dollars to reading programs in schools, etc....

They do have a posted non-solication policy but its not uncommon.  Our Legion post does solicitations for our charity work by selling red poppies on veteran's day.  Alot of businesses would rather give you money than have you stand in front and hawk customers.  I can't say I blame them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
check snopes.com it is bullshit.

No shit?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
There are plenty of reasons to avoid Target, without resorting to a boycott.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are plenty of reasons to avoid Target, without resorting to a boycott.

I've got a BIG reason to avoid Target.
Yesterday, while my Wife went into the store, some fucking LOWLIFE went into our truck and swiped our mail out of the pocket in the door...

I think what happened was that the Wife left the door slightly ajar and that's how the miscreant gained entry.
Fortunately the only things of value in the mail were a U.S. Savings Bond and one of my gun magazines; the rest was junk mail.
UN-fortunately, whoever got the goods now has our address and knows I subscribe to gun magazines...I don't like that idea.

The Everett Police Dept. was contacted and we have a case #.

The Savings Bond cannot be cashed for a year anyway, so it's worthless to whoever else has it.
It's the 'I know where you live and that you like guns' shit about the theft that really bothers ME.

ETA: we decided that the mail either goes WITH us or we don't pick it up until we're ready to come directly home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yesterday, while my Wife went into the store, some fucking LOWLIFE went into our truck and swiped our mail out of the pocket in the door...

I think what happened was that the Wife left the door slightly ajar and that's how the miscreant gained entry.
Fortunately the only things of value in the mail were a U.S. Savings Bond and one of my gun magazines; the rest was junk mail.
UN-fortunately, whoever got the goods now has our address and knows I subscribe to gun magazines...I don't like that idea.

The Everett Police Dept. was contacted and we have a case #.

The Savings Bond cannot be cashed for a year anyway, so it's worthless to whoever else has it.
It's the 'I know where you live and that you like guns' shit about the theft that really bothers ME.

ETA: we decided that the mail either goes WITH us or we don't pick it up until we're ready to come directly home.

I would be more worried about Identity Theft than I would about some crack/meth head coming to rob an armed person.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
glad to read that Target is american after all why not shop at a store with a
BIG RED TARGET
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be more worried about Identity Theft than I woiuld about some crack/meth head coming to rob an armed person.

Thanks, JAFO.  Good point.
The Savings Bond has the Social Security # on it...

Looks like there's some more homework to do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the Wife left the door slightly ajar and that's how the miscreant gained entry.

=/=

I hear ya, BUT ---
Apparently she LOCKED the door.
She FOUND the door 'ajar' when she returned to the vehicle...
So, I don't know HOW the perp got into our truck.

I remain pissed-off, but not at my Wife.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, BTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top