Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:46:12 AM EDT
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/100907dnmetrobshooting.2c97696.html

Dallas couple kills robber in their cleaners

Wife produces 9mm and husband opens fire

04:54 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

By STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Customers picking up pants and shirts pulled up beside a large bloodstain Monday in the parking lot of Joe's Cleaners.

Asked to describe his lethal encounter with a robber a few hours earlier, owner Joseph Baggett apologized for saying little.

"I've still got work in there I've got to finish," he said.

But in between filling out police reports, pressing clothes and answering phone calls, the 53-year-old retired Army warrant officer gave his account.

A man smelling of alcohol came into his store in the 1500 block of John West Road in Far East Dallas and then just left, Mr. Baggett said.

A few minutes later, he returned, this time barging in holding a gun.

"The money's over there; go get it," Mr. Baggett recalled saying as he backed away from the counter and motioned toward the register.

His wife ducked around a corner.

The robber ignored him. "Turn around; we're going to the back," he said. He grabbed Mr. Baggett by the wrist and held the gun to the back of his head. "Where's the lady at?"

As they were headed for the back of the store, Mr. Baggett's wife emerged from behind them.

She was holding Mr. Baggett's 9 mm handgun.

"Stop it or I'll shoot you," she told the robber.

Mr. Baggett said he felt the robber's pistol come off the back of his head, so he spun around and grabbed it.

"I don't think he was expecting that."

The pair struggled a moment until Mr. Baggett pushed the robber away.

Mr. Baggett's wife handed him the 9 mm, and he fired three times. A bullet hit the robber in the face.

The man stumbled out the front door and fell in the parking lot, still holding his gun. Emergency workers tried to revive him, but he was soon dead.

Police didn't identify the robber Monday, pending notification of his next of kin. They said Mr. Baggett appears to have acted in self-defense, but the facts, as is routine, will be given to a grand jury.

It was evening before Mr. Baggett found a chance to drag a hose around to the front of his store. In shorts and a cutoff shirt, he washed down the bloodstain before closing up shop.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe they will start to learn.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Zero-percent recidivism rate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow headshot in a stress situation. That is damn good gun control if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife would have pulled the trigger
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Wonder if he has a "No Weapons" sign in the door?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice...one less loser we have to support with tax dollars while they stay in prison!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My wife would have pulled the trigger

+1 to that, plus I trust my wife to pull the trigger in that situation!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yes, he does.

mm
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Regardless, I'm glad the guy ended up dying..... that's one less "gun crime" for the statistics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Law Abiding Citizen    1
Wortheless Scum       0
wonder where the other two hit, center mass?  that would be AWESOME in a RL incident!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Very good of him to clean up the othr guy's mess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Very good of him to clean up the othr guy's mess.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
He should have left the stain.  "Let that be a lesson to you, and to others like you."

Either way, I need to start taking my dry cleaning to him.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He should have left the stain.  "Let that be a lesson to you, and to others like you."

Either way, I need to start taking my dry cleaning to him.

Just like hanging coyote skins on your fence to scare off the other 'yotes.

Or headhunter tribes leaving impaled skulls on spears lining the road.

I like it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Good shoot.  If I lived around there my dry cleaning would be going to them
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Its good to hear he has cleaned up the streets at his place of business...

Pun intend !
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, he does.

mm

A poor attempt at humor on my part, I suppose.  Regardless, a good shoot and one less BG on the street.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, he does.

mm

A poor attempt at humor on my part, I suppose.  Regardless, a good shoot and one less BG on the street.

Think about it, it was funny.  Add the fact that there is a sign in place and the irony of a rather severe penalty.

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top