Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/8/2003 8:21:38 PM EST
Hey guys,

Please help me out. My buddy is moving to CA in the next 2 months. He shoots frequently and owns an AK, a Remington 870, and a Beretta 96. Obviously, the AK is staying in NC with me, but can he bring the Beretta and the 870? Does he have to register the Beretta? How about the 870? If the 870 had a magazine extension would it still be CA legal? How about magazines? Can he bring the 10 round mags for the Beretta or must he purchase 10 rounders that are already in CA? Please help, as my buddy doesn't want to break any laws and wants to know how to stay above board. Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:24:48 PM EST
both guns are ok, low cap mags are ok
he only gotta register the pistol
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:18:15 PM EST
Additionally, since the 870 is a pump, theres no limit to how many rounds it can hold...

if its semi with a pistol grip, the shotty's limited to 5 rounds, even if it is a pre ban
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:44:23 AM EST
Magazines that hold more than ten rounds cannot be imported into the state. It doesnt matter if the magazine is attached to a semi auto, pump, or bolt action. The only exemptions are for tubular .22LR mags, and some lever action cowboy action shooting rifles. an 11 round 870 magazine would be illegal to import into the state.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:39:43 PM EST
you dont have to register the pistol
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:49:10 PM EST
Course yah don't, but the state kinda likes it -
Effective January 1, 1998, any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

* Complete and submit a Report of Handgun Ownership form along with $14.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $14.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. Report of Handgun Ownership forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 227-3703, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.

* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.

Now would Evilyoda lie on purpose, accidently or just be less than smart? You really don't after all, the weather is nice at San Quentin, Folsom gets a little hot, most of the other state residences get pretty hot too.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ your nickle
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:02:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/10/2003 7:12:34 AM EST by evilyoda]
I went to the El Cajon Police Station and THEY told me it was not nessessary.

But to be on the safe side do what PaDan suggested.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:07:06 AM EST
The Web page sighted has the answers, have your friend read it. If there are any questions then ask here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:10:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:27:16 PM EST
WOW....I had no idea this was so complicated. My buddy appreciates all the feedback. Please keep it coming. He really wants to make sure that he is following the letter of the law and doesn't want any trouble, he just wants to be able to shoot and legally posses his firearms. What do you guys think....when he gets to LA should he contact the LA sheriff's department or the LAPD for instructions?

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:24:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:00:08 PM EST

to the guy who said ,"th El Cajon POlice," etc. I am a CA police officer for over ten years, I have a BA in Public Administration and much study in the area of constitutional law. Guess what, I have no clue about firearms law issues, other than those that relate to felons because that's who I'm looking to arrest. As to is this legal or not, I have to go look on the DOJ website and the state legal site www.leginfo.ca.gov

If a cop gives you a legal opinion, ask them to put their opinion in writing. See how many are willing to give you advice, then.

Lawyers are who you go to for legal opinions. Cops are who you go to when you need an exigent situation mediated or ameliorated.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:59:43 PM EST
Man-if you cant trust the police, who can you trust? lawyers????? What has this world become.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 12:38:52 AM EST
I totally agree with Troy on this one. The less contact you have with the government and their functionaries, the better off you will be in life.

As for dealing with El Cajon PD for firearms, isn't the Sheriffs Office considered CLEO for SD County? (and I STILL wouldn’t take what they said for the facts anyway!)
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:11:41 PM EST
If he's active military and is PCSing, he can bring the AK with him. Call CA DOJ Firearms division, they'll send a form.

Fee is $73 a year for the permit.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:32:22 PM EST
Okay, we tried the link above but it doesn't work. What CA DOJ website would have the info? I've tried to look it up using Yahoo! but I keep ending up with websites about vacationing in CA. What phrase or phrases would help?

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:20:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/24/2003 12:22:57 PM EST by Atencio]
try this link:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm you can see a link for on-line forms.


form you need to fill out.

The main page that has a ton of rules is the one PaDanby gave you but it looks like he put in an extra "http"

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:31:54 PM EST
I cut and pasted that of the address block on the page. I'm guessing the URL bracket process adds it in again. Some times a cut and paste works here and sometimes it doesn't. In any case that oughta git ya in the neighbrhood.
Top Top