Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 12/3/2016 7:09:23 PM EDT
I'm going to be staying on post at dugway for most of December.  I'm bringing a couple of my guns for fun.  Where's the good places to shoot out in the middle of nowhere on the east side of dugway?  

I often go up to SLC on days off, what are good gun places there or in Tooele?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dugway Proving Ground is a U.S. Army post. All firearms on post must be registered immediately upon entry.
Registration places them into a Department of Defense registration system. Getting caught on post with an unregistered firearm is a felony.
I'm uncertain whether visitors can bring a firearm on post. In the past, they were not able to. Recently, some entry changes were instituted.
Call the Dugway Police at 435-831-2929 to discuss. They are civilians working for the Department of Defense.

There are no shooting ranges open to the public within Dugway's 800,000 acres (yeah, it's a BIG installation).
However, you can shoot on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land outside of Dugway's fenceline, in most areas.
There are no incorporated towns or services near Dugway, just a few ranches on State Routes 196 (known as the Skull Valley Road) and 199.
Be very wary of ranches, cattle, wild horses (mustangs) and wildlife in the distance, when shooting.
While driving, be wary of black angus cattle and others on the road. A black cow on a blacktop road on a dark night is nearly impossible to see. This is open range area, with some grazing areas lacking a fence. Cattle can step onto, and stand in the middle of, either highway.
I would not travel any faster than 40 mph at night, and even slower if conditions are bad.

There are undeveloped shooting areas -- just gravel pits and the like -- at the north end of Skull Valley Road (SR196), south of Interstate 80. Take Exit 77 from the freeway, turn south, and you'll see access roads leading through the sagebrush up to the base of the Stansbury Mountains. The Stansbury Mountains are right there, in your face. on the left side of the road as you travel south.
The distant mountains to your right are the Cedar Mountains. Roads into them can be rough, muddy, rock-strewn and tricky. This time of year, when we've had moisture from snow and rain, I would avoid roads to the Cedar Mountains. The Cedar Mountains are very remote. Cell phones don't work in much of them. There is no water to drinking, just a few briny springs.

Tooele has an indoor range - Get Some Shooting Range -- built a couple of years ago. I haven't used the range, but I hear it's good.
Ammo is sold there. Ammo is also sold at Cal Ranch and WalMart in Tooele.
Ammo is not sold at Dugway.

Sportsman's Warehouse is the biggest gun store in Salt Lake City. There is also a Cabela's in Lehi, about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, and a recently opened Bass Pro about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City.
My favorite gun store in Salt Lake City is Gallenson's on 200 South, 200 East in the downtown area. Though labeled "200" locals giving you directions will refer to the streets as "2nd South" and "2nd East." Don't let the renaming confuse you.
Doug's Shoot n' Sports is another gun store. I haven't been there in years. Got weary of being ignored as a customer when I walked in, while two or three salesmen stood behind the counter and B.S.'d with each other. Doug's has an indoor shooting range, though.
Just west of Salt Lake City off 2100 South ("21st South") is Lee Kay Shooting Range. Very large outdoor shooting range. Very modern. Good place. Folks are friendly.

The area around Dugway is very remote. Bring plenty of water. Top off your gas tank in Tooele or at Exits 99 (turn off to Tooele from I-80) before continuing on. There is no gas for sale outside of Dugway. The tribal gas station closed down years ago.

Just because the area is remote doesn't mean "anything goes." Fireworks, pyrotechnics, exploding targets, tracer and incendiary ammunition are all banned on this public land ministered by the Bureau of Land Management. After shooting, clean up your targets and empty cases. The past few years, there have been FAR TOO MANY youngsters and city folks with semi-autos shooting road signs and leaving shot-up debris. The BLM land on the east side of SR 196 was closed for some years to all but walkers and bicyclists after a fire a few years ago. BLM could close it off again if the messes continue.

Call Dugway PD to learn if you can bring a firearm on post. I seriously doubt it.
Dugway is a highly controlled installation.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm going to be staying on post at dugway for most of December.  I'm bringing a couple of my guns for fun.  Where's the good places to shoot out in the middle of nowhere on the east side of dugway?  

I often go up to SLC on days off, what are good gun places there or in Tooele?
View Quote

Your best bet is to stash your firearms at a locals house.

Whatcha gonna be doin on Dugway?

Will
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the map.  Only had 1 afternoon free so I just went to lookout pass.  The view was disappointing so I climbed up the mountain east of the pass and the view from the top was great.  Was nice to be able to shoot anywhere I felt like.  With so much space available I definately need to bring a rifle next time!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top