Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/8/2003 6:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2003 6:13:19 PM EDT by XenaduKhan]
Anyone know of a good patch of woods somewhere in Smith county where AR owners can go and shoot?

I'm a fairly new AR owner and myself and a friend are still looking for a good place to really put this thing through its paces. Kinda hard though... there is a gun range in town, but it is mostly for handguns and is indoor anyway - that's no fun.

I can do a public hunting permit, but Old Sabine Bottom WMA doesn't open to any hunting until October, and I'm not really looking to hunt anyway - just plink. I don't know of any other public huntable lands around here.

Too bad land prices suck. I'd buy some of my own but I can't afford 800-1500/acre.

edit to add: I live in Tyler, but all of smith county is fairly accessible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:18:02 PM EDT
There is an outdoor range east of Tyler on hwy 31 just before you cross the river and it is on the north side of hwy. 31
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:04:24 PM EDT
yeah, but they are a pistol / skeet range. They frown on rifles in general and won't even let non-members bring them. Even members must be careful, and unloading a couple of 30rd clips won't win me any friends.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I also know there used to be a rifle course out hwy 69 broadway but no one answers the phone anymore - I think it has now shut down.
Top Top