Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 1:35:18 PM EDT
I just got back to school in Terre Haute and I was wondering the closest place to shoot around this area.  Mostly handgun and shotgun....any help?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you go to school?  The Rose Hulman gun club has a nifty place just outside of town they go to.  300 yard rifle, shotgun, and pistol.  I can talk to some folks and get you some info to get in contact with them, if you want.  If you do go to Rose, you should be apart of the club.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I go to State-Where do they shoot at and would they let someone from State join in and go along??? Let me know
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Riley Conservation Club
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was at Rose (93-97) we shot with some guys from ISU at an indoor range right next to the stadium, but I'm pretty sure it's closed now.  

Riley Conservation Club is a few miles south of 70 on SR46.  I've shot IPSC matches there and it's pretty nice for that but I'm not sure they do shotgun.  Rifle to 200yds I think though.  I've only shot matches there, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a member to shoot otherwise.

Rose-Hulman Gun Club shoots at a place north of Brazil.  The range is a private range in a guy's back yard, so you'll need to contact somebody before you go out there.  IIRC the owner is an ISU grad.  The contact info on the web site hasn't been updated since February, but some of the officers are probably still there this year.  Or call the Club number and leave a message and somebody should get back to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
East of Sullivan, West of Dugger there is a small range near Minnehaha.  Been there a couple times.  No RO's or anything.  Check it out on the IDNR page.  Two ~30 yd benches, one ~100 yd bench.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
East of Sullivan, West of Dugger there is a small range near Minnehaha.  Been there a couple times.  No RO's or anything.  Check it out on the IDNR page.  Two ~30 yd benches, one ~100 yd bench.

I live right near Minne..never heard about this?  Is it up on a web-site or something?

ETA.  Yeah I guess it is on a site, that you mentioned..oops!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live right near Minne..never heard about this?  Is it up on a web-site or something?

ETA.  Yeah I guess it is on a site, that you mentioned..oops!

You can go to the little info center at the lake off of Hwy 54 and get a map that takes you to it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you go North on 1525E (maybe 525E), about 2 miles West of Dugger, then maybe 3/4 mile West on 200E.  But yeah, there's a map at the info center that shows it.
Watch out cause there are some wicked potholes on that 525E.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Found the one in Sullivan County at that park-It's not a bad place to go at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
ISU guy huh?  I am a 2000 grad.  When I was there I only knew about the indoor range by the football field and drive up to Attabary(?sp?) up by indy.  You could always hit a few of the gun shops down there and ask them.  When I was there there was a class 3 dealer down by Walmart.  I drooled alot in that store!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
If you mean Top Guns I think they're still there, but didn't realize they're Class 3.  Only been in there once.   I used to get stuff at Clips N Grips on Wabash, but they're gone now.  (They moved out east of town on 40 for a while, but last I heard it's closed.)   Then there's Poff's next to the John Deere dealer just north of Top Guns.  Fairly big store, but high prices.  There's a little shop up on Maple called Patriot Arms that just opened recently.
ETA: if you don't mind a bit of a drive there's Darrel's Custom Firearms up in Cayuga.  Pretty big selection, decent prices and he does gunsmithing.  Plainfield Shooting Supply in Plainfield isn't really that far either.  I think most of the Rose-Hulman Gun Club's guns came from PSS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Top Guns has shut down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
About the range the Rose-Hulman Gun Club uses...

The range is owned by Don Brannon, he is an ISU grad and does alot for us at the Rose-Hulman Gun Club.  He is now turning his range semi-private.  He just asks for a donation each year for up keep cost on the range.  He recently put an open sided shelter over the benches which is really nice.  All you have to do is contact him.  

On a very important side note...
If you are a Rose Allumni or Student we need all the support we can get right now.  They just took all of our reloading supplies and ammo one day out of the blue.  They say they are dangerous.  Just today they told us that shooting reloaded ammo is dangerous.  Therefore we can no long reload with our own presses nor shoot reloaded ammo.  Also no one but Rose students are allowed to shoot anything bought by the school.  No longer are allumni, friends, or family allowed to participate in our events like in the past.  If you are an allumni it would be greated appreciated if you could contact the new president or Mike Howard and tell them that you dont like what is happening to the gun club.

Kevin McQuillan Lind
devoted gun club member

lindkm
@
rose-hulman.edu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top