Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/24/2004 12:13:48 PM EST
Recently moved here from the midwest. First off...goddam is it hot here!

Second - Looking for places to shoot. Yes, I already used the "search function".

Been to Desert Trails. Guy in the stall next to me was doing "quickdraw" out of a 15 dollar nylon shoulder rig, and sweeping me with the muzzle.

Been to Three Points.

Looking for a place to shoot that is off the beaten trail...where I can stay away from the normal idiots that seem to congregate at shooting ranges....you know...The backwards-hat, baggy pant-wearing tools with the chromed .50 AE, the TacticalGenius who wants to critique your shooting stance etc etc etc.

I have tried contacting the BLM/National/State Parks offices in and around Tucson...usually met with blank stares or conflicting info. Also looked at all the official web-sites.....very thin on actual info. So...what's the deal with shooting on public lands here in AZ?

I was poking around some trails...(Redding Rd area) and found several locations that had obviously been used as ad-hoc shooting sites. I also spent about 2 hours cleaning them up. I saw several signs stating that shooters/hunters should clearly ID targets, not shoot towards houses, be wary of livestock etc...but no signage that clearly stated "It's ok to shoot here, in this exact spot."

If someone could point me to a reliable source regarding shooting on public lands in AZ, I'd be greatful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:40:42 PM EST
What side of town are you on? There is a place on Houghton just south of the I-10 turn off. It's really loaded with trash, but normally not used much. There is also the new Pima county range out by the fairgrounds. They have a 200 yd. range, but you can't use targets that resemble human shapes. IM me if you want directions to the dump off of Houghton, or you'd like to hook up and go shooting sometime.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:41:11 PM EST
Im new as well. Noticed the same type of things at Desert Trails. The only other place I have shot was at the indoor range at Jensens (booo!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:05:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By FlyByWire:
Im new as well. Noticed the same type of things at Desert Trails. The only other place I have shot was at the indoor range at Jensens (booo!)

Indoor ranges = bad. I avoid them like the plaugue.

If I can ever get a straight answer out of the BLM or Nat'l/State Forrest folks, I'll post here. Dont hold your breath though...

2sonMike - IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:38:43 PM EST
I've done plenty of shooting up in Reddington, even had a game warden stop by and thank me for picking up garbage at the largest range up there. He said he uses it to sight in his deer rifle, so I think it should be good to go. I rarely go up there for anything but an occassional hike and to pick up garbage because it's so far from my house. I usually justtake a 5 minute drive from my house to a little place out in the desert and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:07:03 PM EST
Im off Sunrise and Swan, Everything seems to be WAY out of the way... Or at least the ranges I KNOW about...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:13:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By RandomUser:
Recently moved here from the midwest. First off...goddam is it hot here!

Dude, this is October and it's only getting to the upper 70's during the day.... if you think *this* is hot, wait until June/July.

Where did you move from that 75 degrees is "hot"? Minnesota?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:00:11 AM EST
I use this when I am checking out new areas to shoot at!
http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx
First I start with an address usually main cross roads or topographic feature then go from there.
Here is the map for Tucson
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=4&s=14&x=156&y=1114&z=12&w=1&ref=P|Tucson,%20Arizona,%20United%20States
The­n just use the arrows to go in the direction you want to. You can follow roads to areas. You can zoom in and out of maps. Some maps are some what old so the areas may have changed just a little, thanks to AZ’s growth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:02:43 AM EST
state trust land is supposed to be no target shooting but you can hunt on it. go figure. i have never been hassled on the state trust though.

there is plenty of on the north side of tucson towards pinal county.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:14:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By mr_h:
state trust land is supposed to be no target shooting but you can hunt on it. go figure. i have never been hassled on the state trust though.

there is plenty of on the north side of tucson towards pinal county.

Shooting on private property is also against the law. If you ask the property owner sometime they allow that
Top Top