Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 10:36:20 AM EDT
Hi folks,
I am looking for a place to bang away in the vicinity of Concord, NH (& people to go shooting with too for that matter).  I go to Pioneer in the warmer months, but I would love to find a less formal place like a good sand pit where I can shoot soda cans & whatnot.  Anyone have a favorite place?  Ideally someplace I could even use in the winter -- I don't mind the cold.
--Snowbound
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
One thought is to find state land (state forest in particular) to shoot on. Since hunting is allowed I would only do this out of hunting season. It might be wise to give the local cops and wildlife police a heads up too just in case (almost certainly) someone reports shots fired.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the law like as far as shooting on state or federal land?  I am close to a number of state parks that I could get to, but I would be leary about scaring other people using the park & making the cops nervous.  I am finding NH to be hit or miss when it comes to being gun-friendly.  Sure is a lot better than when I lived in Boston though.
--Snowbound
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A state forest isn't the same as a park. Parks are another matter completely. The one and only time I hunted in a park ( Pawtuckaway) was by permission in the winter at night. A Delorme map of NH will give the locations of all state forests. Hunting is allowed in all (or at least most) of them. I don't think you need to give anyone a heads up but it would be best. I think letting the locals and wildlife cops know what you're up to would be wise. They have no legal way to prevent you from using the land though so its not as though your're asking their permission...just notifying. Once they get used to you then you'll be left alone. I lived in Candia and hunted in  Lamontagne state forest in Deerfield. It was a great place to hunt and just get away. There were plenty of places to just shoot off the beaten path. I'm not sure where you're located but talking to the local folks might also help. When I first moved to Candia there was a pit close to my home which has since been flooded by beavers. The locals used to shoot there. HTH AP
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My son and his friends go out to some place near Clough Pond State Park in Weare. Apparently it's a sandpit and not a bad place for outdoor shooting. I have a membership at Manchester Firing Line off Brown Ave. You get some types I'd prefer not to have around me with loaded weapons, but that's a trade off I put up with.

I should have my RRA in a couple of days and once the warm weather comes back (-10 F at my house in E Concord this AM) I'll have to get him to take me out to Weare to shoot some FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I paddle & fish on Clough all the time in the summer, it's a great spot & close to home.  I hear gunfire there often, so I am probably hearing the pit you are talking about.  I know about where it would be based on the sound, so someday I should just follow the noise & see if I can find it.  I guess what I really want is a friend with some land where I know I wont bother anybody & nobody will bother me.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot at my house, but since its my parents place i really can't have a bunch of folks over.  If anyone finds a good pit or state forrest i'd be game for getting togther and doing some shooting.  It would be nice to have folks to shoot with.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot in danbury at my land. The only prob is it is heavly wooded but with 350 acres nobody ever complians when I shoot. I am planning on making a range there but am lacking man power so if you guys want to help we could possibly get a range going next summer. The spot I have planed has burms already on both sides and is aprox 100 meters it just needs to be cleared. Tell me what you think

I only go on the weekend though so I dont know if it would work out for you guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top