Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 11/15/2008 4:05:57 PM EDT
I need an opinion on a semi to carry. I was considering Walther PPS, perfect size, very convenient and ergonomic but there's too many reports on poor reliability. What else to consider? Glock g26/g27? And i don't want anything bigger than .40.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna open up a huge can of worms with that question.  Everybody has a favorite and everybody has an opinion.  Do as much research and check out as many different guns as you can before you bet your life on one.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Try going to Sportsmans Warehouse and the gunshows and handle the guns that you are interested in.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Strongarm66 is right. You need to find a carry pistol that fits you best.

There are lots of options here. First pick a caliber. This is a debate in itself. Choose the largest caliber you can proficiently shoot. In other words, if you can shoot a 9mm well but can't hit shit with a .40, stick with a 9mm.

Go to a store (or gunshow) that carries a variety of pistols. Weigh the pros and cons of each one. Pick them up and see what fits you best. Some good ones to look at are (in no order) are- Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, Sig's, etc. (I'm sure there are others I have forgot)

Now you need to choose a holster. How will you carry it? Inside the waistband, middle of back, shoulder holster, ankle holster, outside the waistband, etc.
Leather, kydex, nylon, holster? Belt holster or paddle?

And finally- practice, practice and PRACTICE!!!!!! You can buy the best equipment money can buy, but if you don't practice, it won't do any good if it is ever needed.

Me personally, I carry Glocks. I carry a Glock 23 in the winter and a Glock 27 in the summer (both .40's). I carry them in Blackhawk SERPAs set up with a paddle attachment and a spare magazine on the weak hand side. This platform works best for me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at the PPS at one time.  Just a crappy gun.  Lots of chatter marks on the slide; looks like they were rushing in the machine shop.

They really aren't that small either, just thin.

I'm in the same situation you are.  I'm going to get a P3AT first.  Its small, inexpensive, and I can get one now due to the cost.  You'll always use it because of its size.  There will always be days where you can't conceal a bigger gun and the P3AT is perfect to just slip in your pocket.  It is only a 380 though.

Then I'm going to get a G27 once I have the money.  Thats the plan anyway.  I'm sure I'll change what guns I want tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]
i dont want anyone to take this the wrong way, but the micro 380's are really not usable as a primary carry gun.  they do make a great secondary gun, or a great "cannot carry" anything bigger.........but they are uncomfortable to shoot, and thus you will not train with it enough to be as effective as you should....

i  have the kel tec. but my primary carry gun is a kahr 9mm.  and when dress allows for it, i carry a 1911 or 357 mag.......

bb
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Kahr CW9. I absolutely love it! It's about the same size as the Walther, but in 9mm. They also have it in .40 if that trips your trigger. It's not as pretty as the PPK/S series, but it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is very concealable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like not much to choose from. Kahr, G26 or PPS for IWB. Anything else to consider (9mm)?
Thanks to all for responding
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like not much to choose from. Kahr, G26 or PPS for IWB. Anything else to consider (9mm)?

Look at the M&P compact in 9MM. 12 +1 capacity, adjustable back straps, etc.

ETA- Also Springfield XD sub compact........
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I used to carry the full size XD40 IWB, it wasn't super comfy, but it wasn't too awful.  Also, there's 1911's in all sizes and many of the smaller ones are in 9mm.  Right now I carry a Glock 21SF at work with a 36 for a backup, and then outside of work either a 30 or 36 depending on my clothing.  Usually it ends up being both though.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I will likely get flamed for this one but I have a keltec pf9. Is 9mm and it fits in the pocket of my carharht. Its fired 200 rnds of anything I have put in it including a round I had sitting in a beef jerky chew can(It sat there for 2 years and greasy as hell).
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like the M&P.  I've got a full size 9mm and it is pretty easy to conceal.  I carry it in a K&D Dakota Defender holster (IWB tuckable)

I really like XD's as well but I like the features and the ergo's on the M&P better.  plus it is made in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
With the price of ammo the way it is, the 9mm is the way to go. Get good quality defense rounds and you will not give up much to the other two choices, and the practice ammo is the cheapest. I went with the Glock 19 as extra mags are available and the price is still ok if you look around. I can conceal this in a Blade-Tech IWB holster. Quality and proven choice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I got Walter P99 which i like a lot and it's not a problem to carry it in winter/spring/fall. I want something smaller and slimmer for less clothing in the summer time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Jframe smith&wesson revolver........people been using them for just what you want for years.

bb
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top