Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:06:06 AM EDT
I was told NC pistol purchase records/permits/applications required by state law are public documents and open to any public citzen? Basically if someone asks for them, the sheriff must provide them?

Is this true?

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I havent looked latly but the N&O used to print the persons names that applied for pistol permits in the paper for Wake county.  So its public record.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Greensboro paper does that crap to.  And they even put in your address.  Now if that isn't advertising come steal my gun while I am a work, I don't know what is.  I hate the News and Record.  .  Or like the Rhino Times calls it the Greensboro News and Fishwrap...Thats all it is good for.  Wrapping fish or letting a dog pee on it.

Now you got me started....

Our paper route person threw out a freebie in my yard last year, and I called their office and told them I was calling the SD and reporting them for littering if they didn't come back and pick it up.  He came back about 30 minutes later and I haven't had that problem since.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
How do they know if the permits were even used?  Sure, the Sheiff knows that he issued you a permit.  Does he know what you bought with it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a CCW and you don't have to get a handgun permit to buy anymore.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Are ccw permits public record too?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How do they know if the permits were even used?  Sure, the Sheiff knows that he issued you a permit.  Does he know what you bought with it?

The paper and SD don't know if it is used. They just put your name and address in the paper.  In the Greensboro News and Records case, it's them using their power of public record to try and stick it to gun buyers.  That's why I hate them so much!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top