Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 7:27:01 PM EST
Anybody know where I can get a pistol buffer tube in the Stl area???
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:34:46 AM EST
I have never seen one around but I also have never looked for one.

I assume you are aware that there is no requirement to use a "pistol" receiver extension on a AR pistol? Any extension you want to use is perfectly acceptable and legal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:38:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By k1k:
Anybody know where I can get a pistol buffer tube in the Stl area???
Yea, I like another one too...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:10:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By cbr954:

I assume you are aware that there is no requirement to use a "pistol" receiver extension on a AR pistol? Any extension you want to use is perfectly acceptable and legal.

...unless you have a spare rifle stock, for constructive intent.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:24 AM EST
I used an old adjustable stock with good success, I just ground off the stock attaching part and profiled it smooth on a sander.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:12:59 PM EST
I know this inst local but I bought mine through Rock River Arms, free shipping on items over $25 and the pistol buffer is $25

Here's parts number (AR0113P) and Link

Shipping was faster than expected too. I usually never buy directly from manufacture but the price was just to good.

On a side note I don't need mine any more so technically I've got one locally...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:29:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 12:59:13 AM EST by cbr954]
Originally Posted By GoGop:

That is incorrect.

Having a spare stock no more shows "intent" to build a sbr than owning a gun and a ski mask shows intent to rob a bank.

A spare stock is simply a spare part for other AR rifles. I don't think they have prohibited spare parts....yet.

It is also completely acceptable to convert your pistol to a rifle and back by installing a barrel or upper of 16" + then installing a stock. Having a "spare stock" would only serve to facilitate that process. Do you own a AR barrel or barreled upper 16" or greater?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:13:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By GoGop:

That is incorrect.

Having a spare stock no more shows "intent" to build a sbr than owning a gun and a ski mask shows intent to rob a bank.

A spare stock is simply a spare part for other AR rifles. I don't think they have prohibited spare parts....yet.

It is also completely acceptable to convert your pistol to a rifle and back by installing a barrel or upper of 16" + then installing a stock. Having a "spare stock" would only serve to facilitate that process. Do you own a AR barrel or barreled upper 16" or greater?

I was going by this;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BATFE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html&page=1#i4987086
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:37:21 PM EST
I am familiar with that letter and here are two points regarding it.

The letter does not take into consideration the ownership of additional AR type firearms. Some of which could be rifles that obviously have a stock that is easily and quickly removable not to mention the whole spare stock for the rifle situation but it sort if covers it by using the word "could". I can certainly understand why someone may feel uneasy with the situation.

The second thing is that the letter was written prior to the BATFE "deciding" that it is okay to convert a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol. This for me kind of seals it in my mind. How can I convert my pistol to a rifle if I don't own a stock? I can't so that is why I have a stock body AND a barreled 16" upper for my 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:20:17 PM EST

The letter does not take into consideration the ownership of additional AR type firearms. Some of which could be rifles that obviously have a stock that is easily and quickly removable not to mention the whole spare stock for the rifle situation but it sort if covers it by using the word "could". I can certainly understand why someone may feel uneasy with the situation.

The second thing is that the letter was written prior to the BATFE "deciding" that it is okay to convert a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol. This for me kind of seals it in my mind. How can I convert my pistol to a rifle if I don't own a stock? I can't so that is why I have a stock body AND a barreled 16" upper for my 9mm pistol.

Any documentation on that???

Seems like it could be a good thing to keep on hand...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:49 PM EST
Here is a link to a pdf ofATF ruling 2011-4.

The language in the ruling can be a little difficult to decipher...go figure.

Here is a plain English translation pertaining to pistol to rifle.

Here is a link to the gun trust lawyer blog where he briefly talks about it.

This ruling also deals with parts in proximity of issues.

Here is a link to a pdf of a letter sent to the ATF asking specifically about possession of a stock and a pistol. It also includes the response from the ATF.

I hope this helps

Originally Posted By smullen:

Any documentation on that???

Seems like it could be a good thing to keep on hand...

Top Top